How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2007
trendsetter

Love her

I remember reading this anectoct about her it made me laugh. She was fantastic.

Quote:
I've been reading a perfectly HORRIBLE biography of Gary Cooper (and by "perfectly horrible" I mean "salacious and awesome") and there's a lot of great stuff in there about Carole Lombard . Lombard and Cooper "dated" before she married Gable and he married Rocky. But then again, she dated pretty much everyone. It drove Gable crazy once they were married, to know she had been (and still was) this wild and free lady - especially when she would say stuff like this to the press:
"God knows I love Clark, but he is the worst lay in town."
Carole!!! Jeez, go easy a bit! But she had no reticence - that was just who she was. Also, Gable knew he was "the worst lay in town" apparently - which was why he preferred to sleep with prostitutes, who wouldn't kiss and tell.

There's a funny story about Gable - Gary Cooper had had a crazy love affair with Mexican actress Lupe Velez - a real firecracker who once shot a gun at a train Cooper was on. She was on a crowded train platform and shot her gun at the passing train.
I mean, people who think celebs are out of control now have no idea what they're talking about, frankly. Lindsay Lohan is TAME compared to good ol' gun-slingin' Lupe.
Also - imagine Angelina Jolie making a wisecrack like: "God knows I love Brad, but he's the worst lay in town." And to have it be an ENDEARMENT ... Like, Carole was married to the guy, and she said that. heh heh (I must say, though, if I could picture anyone making such a snarky remark in good humor, it would be Angelina Jolie.)
But anyway, back to Lupe Velez: she and Gary Cooper had this nutso crazy sexual relationship - and all she did was babble to anyone who would listen about him - what a great lover he was, how she was addicted to his hands, how all he cared about was "satisfying ze woman" - etc. I mean, she would say ANYthing to ANYone. Cooper was kind of reticent - famous for answering reporter's questions with either "Yup" or "Nope" ... hahahaha - and was kind of embarrassed by Lupe Velez blabbing about his sexuality all through town.
And apparently - Lupe Velez came on to Gable - and he turned her down. How the press would get a hold of this information is a mystery (uhm, I'm guessing Lupe herself) - but when asked for a response to the rumor - Gable said, "Sure, it's true. She came on to me - but I turned her down. I don't want her running around town telling everyone what a horrible lay I am."

This is so hysterical to me - because ... there Gable is ... telling the press what he feared Lupe would tell the press ... and then he marries a woman, the delectable and funny and snarky Carole Lombard, who says, "God knows I love Clark, but he's the worst lay in town."

I don't know why I find that so endearing. I just do. Sorry, Clark - I know it must have sucked. If someone said that about me to a national newspaper or tabloid, I'd be crushed and pissed.

But he loved her. When she died, he was inconsolable - and never really recovered. He never got that cocky boyish snark back.

Carole Lombard said:
"I think marriage is dangerous. The idea of two people trying to possess each other is wrong. I don't think the flare of love lasts. Your mind rather than your emotions must answer for the success of matrimony. It must be friendship -- a calm companionship which can last through the years."
I know Clark Gable lived with that "what if she had lived" question all the rest of his days. Love of his life.

Clark Gable was buried beside her when he died in 1961, almost 20 years after her death. Love of his life indeed.

source: sheillaomalley.com

31-01-2007
V.I.P.

simply classics
With first hubby William Powell

With Movie Tough Guy George Raft

05-02-2007
V.I.P.

simplyclassics

05-02-2007
V.I.P.

so beautiful!
thx for the pics scriptgirl

V.I.P.

you are welcome. here is more. classicmovies

07-02-2007
V.I.P.

from ebay

08-02-2007
V.I.P.

allposters.com, movie goods

22-02-2007
trendsetter

simply classics

Last edited by Hanne; 24-02-2007 at 06:37 AM.
23-02-2007
trendsetter

classic_daily

Last edited by Hanne; 24-02-2007 at 06:48 AM.
03-03-2007
tfs star

Absolutely stunning!

15-06-2007
V.I.P.

luv this photo!
ebay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P137%20-%20Carole%20Lombard.jpg (44.4 KB, 14 views)

fashion insider

Thanks for all the pictures What a stunning woman!

rising star

My joint favourite actress ever with Ingrid Bergman I think she was magnificent. A very talented comedienne as well as a great beauty with Those Cheekbones!

[all from ebay]

09-07-2007
V.I.P.

nice pics, thank you

09-07-2007
rising star

I just found this picture with Fred MacMurray and it reminded me of why I love Carole so much

[ebay]

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carole, lombard