How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2008
fashion icon

I had a crush on him, so Handsome

13-04-2008
V.I.P.

eyedea

13-04-2008
V.I.P.

same source

14-04-2008
trendsetter

Awesome Cary pics, kochie! I love North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Monkey Business... in fact, despite having seen so many of his films, I don't think there's ever been one I've disliked (very rare, as I am picky). Anyway, he's great

V.I.P.

^^ Oh, try to see People Will Talk and Once Upon a Time...Absolutely dreadful....But Cary was good, of course...

And thanks for the North by Northwest pics, Kochie!! The legendary glen plaid suit!!

Last edited by Boomer; 14-04-2008 at 10:36 PM.
14-04-2008
V.I.P.

Extra Credit Question: Where did the title for North by Northwest come from??? (I had to watch it ten times before I got it...)

15-04-2008
V.I.P.

welcome everybody

and i have no idea what the answer to your extra credit question is?! please do tell!

15-04-2008
V.I.P.

Welll.... After the CIA finally steps in and helps him out and tells him what's going on, they take him to the airport in Chicago and tell him he has to go to Mt Rushmore (North) and they walk out to the plane which is a Northwest Orient Airlines airplane!!! So he has to go North by Northwest... Couldn't you just strangle Hitchcock sometimes?? It took me years to figure it out!!

15-04-2008
V.I.P.

i really had no idea! that hitchcock, he was clever

16-04-2008
fashion icon

If my recollection serves me right, didn't he star opposite Katharine Hepburn in the original version of "The Philadelphia Story"? In any case, he is the epitome of the classic hollywood debonair: smooth and suave!

V.I.P.

Yup, along with Jimmy Stewart, a classic for sure...Remade, as you no doubt know, as High Society with Grace Kelly...Cary also did Sylvia Scarlett, Bringing Up Baby and Holiday with Katherine Hepburn, btw...

16-04-2008
fashion icon

^Ahh, cool. I wasn't in the least aware that both he and Katharine starred in many films together! My knowledge with Grant and his extensive list of films is disappointingly limited, as I've only seen, "The Philadelphia Story". I think I'll do some non-exhaustive research on him during my downtime...

V.I.P.

My own favorites, although they are by no means his best films, are Indiscreet with Ingrid Bergman and That Touch of Mink with Doris Day...No reason, really, just fun movies that I've watched over and over again...AMC and Turner Classic Movies has one or another of his movies on just about every other day, if you check the listings...Great way to see a bunch of them easily...

16-04-2008
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
My own favorites, although they are by no means his best films, are Indiscreet with Ingrid Bergman and That Touch of Mink with Doris Day...No reason, really, just fun movies that I've watched over and over again...AMC and Turner Classic Movies has one or another of his movies on just about every other day, if you check the listings...Great way to see a bunch of them easily...
I might just heed your advice and tune into Turner Classic/AMC, since you seem like a loyal Grant aficionado. Summer's almost upon us and the semester's nearing its completion for me, so I might as well spend some time indoors watching classic films featuring the prepossessing actor!

V.I.P.

Great idea!! And, he was very underrated as an actor, btw...He was so polished and effortless in his roles everyone thought it was just him playing himself- never seeing the years of work that went into making it look so easy... I remember watching his actions in slow motion to learn things- even how he walked through a door (don't laugh, I had to practice his technique!!) Robert Wagner and George Hamilton said they used to go down when he was filming just to watch him walk when they were young actors, just to learn his tricks... In films like Penny Serenade and None But The Lonely Heart, both tearjerkers, he was so good at serious acting roles- he was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar for Lonely Heart- something everyone forgets...

Last edited by Boomer; 16-04-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cary, grant