How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-04-2008
V.I.P.

i had no idea that he was married 5 times, that is quite a number

and i agree, an affair to remember is such an amazing movie

19-04-2008
fashion insider

Boomer, thanks for sharing all those pics and screencaps as well as your knowledge of Cary Grant. It's nice to know we have an expert among us.

What are everyone's favourite Cary Grant films? Mine are Charade, Arsenic and Old Lace and North by Northwestand To Catch a Thief.

I think as an actor Cary Grant was really underrated. I don't think it's easy to excel at both drama and comedy and Cary did so with such class and made it look effortless.

V.I.P.

You are welcome! And he was a fine actor, even his image that is so renowned, was a life long self creation...He grew up poor near the docks in working class England, his father was a tailor's assistant and his mother spent most of her life in a mental institution...He had very little education and no social advantages at all, no training as a actor and had to break into show business as a vaudeville acrobat- not exactly the background for one of the most respected men of elegance and class! For decades he was the number one box office star in Hollywood and was generally regarded as the wealthiest man in show business... His very life was an amazing creation!!

19-04-2008
V.I.P.

To Catch a Thief, An Affair to Remember, and North by Northwest
those are my favorites

19-04-2008
V.I.P.

^^ I agree Kochie, but I'll add ThatTouch of Mink and Indiscreet...

01-05-2008
V.I.P.

From a pretty bad movie called The Toast of New York, that I enjoyed, for some reason...

My screencap from TCM

02-05-2008
V.I.P.

^ love it

03-05-2008
trendsetter

I never knew he was actually British until I read a biography of Barbara Hutton. He was gorgeous, but shame about his personality. After reading how stingy he was and how badly he treated "the help" like drivers and maids I was really shocked. Although, he was the only one of her husbands that didn't fight to get a piece of Barbara's money.

04-05-2008
V.I.P.

And he was great with her son Lance, and even though they had divorced long before, he was right there with her when Lance was killed...Cary was a Jekyll and Hyde personality- could charm the birds out of the trees and then be petty and nasty...

04-05-2008
trendsetter

Aside from what lollicandy listed, in what ways was he petty and nasty?

fashion insider

^ I've heard that he charged fans for his autograph.

On the IMDb triva page for Father Goose it says that Cary Grant claimed his role in the film was most like his personality. From what Boomer and lollicandy said I can believe such a statement as his character displays some of the Jekyll and Hyde personality traits Boomer mentioned.

V.I.P.

Maureen O'Donnell wrote a very interesting book called "An Affair To Remember" a few years back...She was a beautiful young journalist who interviewed Cary and they started dating, eventually living together and he repeatedly asked her to marry him...The book goes into why she said no...He was charming and marvelous, but could be very critical and petty, worried about everything, made her go out and buy hot dogs that were on sale for dinner when he had hundreds of millions of dollars, drank too much on occasion and became very abusive toward her...And evidently had police run-ins that were covered up- one involving a young man, you can fill in the blanks... He was not a lot of fun to be close to, from many accounts, but was wonderful and brilliant at many times as well....Maureen loved him desperately but said she could not spend her life with him- it was just too crazy... It is actually a wonderful, loving book, but she pulled no punches, either...

06-05-2008
trendsetter

Thanks for the info, sounds like an interesting book He definitely seems like one of the more complex and multi-faceted Hollywood icons.

trendsetter

Yes, Boomer is right. Lance (Barbara Hutton's son and Cary's stepson) and Cary got along very well. Barbara incurred the wrath of her ex-husband Count Reventlow because she monogrammed his clothing and suitcases I believe with "Lance Grant" instead of Lance Reventlow. If I can remember correctly, I think there was even some talk about adopting Lance as a son but nothing came of it. Some of the stories about how he snapped at Barbara, and treated the help were shocking. I get the feeling that his parsimonious nature was influenced by habits he acquired as a poor teen. He came to America very young and I think his penny pinching ways never left him.

01-06-2008
V.I.P.

Someone really talented put this together- brilliant!! There will never be an equal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W5v8...eature=related

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cary, grant