How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2010
backstage pass

Some classics that are featured in my film class that I thought were worth mentioning...
Sunset Blvd.
Touch of Evil
Night of the Hunter
Rear Window

And I'm totally checking out "M"; there's been talk about it in class, thanks for the link Over The Sea

04-11-2010
windowshopping

I don´t know if I´ve mentioned it in my previous post, but:
The Sound of Music (!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuWsQSntFf0

Mary Poppins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThBhL-R58UI

Such classics and such cheer-ups.

Last edited by nicolesgrace; 04-11-2010 at 09:52 AM.
04-11-2010
V.I.P.

^oh absolutely!

another of my favorites of Julie Andrews is Darling Lily. it's not as well known as some of her other films, but she is such a treat in it. (and yes, she sings in it as well!)

04-11-2010
V.I.P.

Antonioni's L'Avventura : IMO one of the top 5 films ever made, Antonioni treats w/ one of the biggest problems of humanity: the lack of communication. The photography is impecable and Monica Vitti looks more beautiful than ever.

filmsufi

Almodovar's Volver : One of the best spanish movies ever made, it's thrilling, it's funny, it's sad, it's surprising, it's amazing. Penelope Cruz best actuation ever (she was even nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards) and one of Almodovar's best movies.

clubcultura

Bergman's Fanny & Alexander : Bergman's best film ever unites all of the director characteristics: the gorgeous art direction and photography (I'm wish I knew sweedish because I'm ashamed to polute the beautiful images with subtitles), the usual existentialist plot, Bergman's favorite actors... all come together in a play of life that inspires every viewer to look inside his own soul and try to find that magic sensation that we had when we were children.

ingmarbergman

Fellini's Satyricon : This might be a very difficult film for those who doesn't have the habbit to see cult movies, the plot is incontinuos and most of the scenes doesn't have connection, but despite all that Satyricon brings one of the greatest audiovisual experiences ever. Everyone that appreciates art will love its art direction and the ones that appreciate fashion will love the impecable costumes. Oh, and it's important to mention that Satyricon was one of the first movie to deal with homossexuality without any kind of prejudice.

worldscinema

Buñuel's Belle De Jour: Oh, Catherine DeNeuve! I mean, surrealism could never be more beautiful! Sex, love, mistery, drama, happiness, everything mixed up to create Buñuel most accessible movie. The sensations that you feel when you're watching these are so... unexpected, you don't know with you're feeling guilt or pleasure, you get confused trying to guess if it's love or lust and that's just mechanism for you to get into the main character's confused mind. Incredible!

avaxhome

Last edited by xPedro; 04-11-2010 at 12:35 PM.
04-11-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
^oh absolutely!

another of my favorites of Julie Andrews is Darling Lily. it's not as well known as some of her other films, but she is such a treat in it. (and yes, she sings in it as well!)
Oh yes. I find this movie absolutely great. Darling Lili is such a terribly underrated movie. I honestly don´t understand why it was rather a flop back then. It´s funny and cute and Julie has some beautiful songs. I absolutely love "Whistling in the Dark". I get never tired of this song. And the shower scene is so brilliant. Lol.

Julie Andrews - Whistling in the dark (1970)

Last edited by nicolesgrace; 04-11-2010 at 06:52 PM.
28-11-2010
front row

It's actually a future classic given that it was released only in 2001, but- Y Tu Mama También. Also Amores Perros and Amélie.

More 'orthodox' classics I think everyone should watch:

The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Roman Holiday
Chungking Express

Victor/Victoria (any Julie Andrews fans should definitely watch this)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg in French, Deneuve in a musical!)
Come September (for Gina Lollobrigida)
Darling (for Julie Christie)

08-05-2011
windowshopping

All About Eve (Bette Davis)
Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn)
The Red Shoes (seminal Powell and Pressburger ballet film)
It Happened One Night (Claudette Colbert)
The Apartment
The Women (1939 version - SUCH a good cast)
Pandora's Box - Louise Brooks

09-12-2011
tfs star

Has anyone seen Design for Living? I've only heard of it in recent months since there's a Criterion release for it. I'm not sure how likely it is that it would air on TCM but I requested it anyway & was thinking of getting the release for it even without having already seen it.

14-12-2011
fashion icon

^I haven't seen it yet but if it's being released by Criterion then it's probably quite good. Criterion is pretty spot-on with it's releases.

Anyways... my picks for classic/iconic movies (which have all probably have been mentioned already but I'll say it again) include:

Roman Holiday
The King and I
To Kill a Mockingbird
Breakfast at Tiffany's
West Side Story
Romeo & Juliet
To Sir With Love

Also, I suggest checking out Netflix, they have a pretty good selection of instant movies available for viewing.

V.I.P.

I don't see The Third Man or any old German Expressionst (Nosferatu, Metropolis, Cabinet of Caligari) or early Hollywood horror (Frankenstein, Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Them) on this page. Plus most Hitchcock but Vertigo is wonderful. Also Chaplin (modern Times) and Keaton (Sherlock Jr). Acck I could go on and on. Russian formalists, like Eisenstein's Potemkin or Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera. And of course all the others mentioned! I love Fanny & Alexander!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
15-12-2011
V.I.P.

Play it Again Sam, because it foreshadows the infinitely brilliant Annie Hall.

How to Marry a Millionaire because Bacall, Monroe and Grable make a formidable trio!! Marilyn is a doll in this film!!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
15-12-2011
V.I.P.

Jules et Jim (devastating), Persona (more devastating), The Last Laugh, Breathless, Badlands (Sissy Spacek will freak you out!!)

19-12-2011
front row

Design for Living has beautiful gowns, but I wasn't invested in the story near the end. Of course it's always interesting to see pre-code talkies, and the film has a fair amount of content that would be unacceptable a year later.

Last edited by auxt; 19-12-2011 at 02:31 AM.
18-12-2012
fashion insider

Sudden fear (Joan Crawford)
The fan (Lauren Bacall)
Leave her to heaven (Gene Tierny)
The story of Esther Costello (Joan Crawford)
Rain (Joan Crawford)
Night watch (Elizabeth Taylor)
Ash Wednesday (Elizabeth Taylor)
Secret Ceremony (Elizabeth Taylor, Mia Farrow and Robert Mitchum)
The driver's seat (Elizabeth Taylor)
Elephant Walk (Elizabeth Taylor)
Killer nun (Anita Ekberg)

26-09-2013
fashion insider

Gilda... over and over again...

Noirbabes

Oh, and Cat on a hot tin roof - Just to watch Elisabeth Taylor shove ice cream in the face of an abnoxious child. Amazing.

Last edited by eizhowa; 26-09-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
add, classic, film, icons, list, mustsee