How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-10-2009
front row

Welcome to he thread, Littlemissmolz!

13-10-2009
front row

Speaking of her style, has anyone got any ideas on what Edie would be wearing today, or what you would like to have seen her in? I think she would adore modern fashion, with all its different varieties, and I'd love to see her different hairstyles, particularly long blonde hair. She looked amazing the blonde fall in her Vogue shoot.

13-10-2009
windowshopping

She did look good with long hair, but she looked good in everything. I remember seeing a quote about her somewhere that said "she was the beginning of the whole unisex trip" and I think that's correct. If she were donning today's style, I wouldn't expect it to be overly girly. Maybe something like Agyness Deyn.
That's just what I think anyway.

13-10-2009
front row

That's true, she did have a great face shape and bone structure for cropped hair as well, but I've always felt she wore the boyish style out of necessity more than anything. In Beauty #2 she sort of blames Chuck Wein for having all her hair cut off, and says it makes earrings all the more necessary. And of course, she liked t-shirts with tights because they were efficient after practicing jazz ballet twice a day. Though she looked tomboyish a lot, her penchant for furs, jewellery, makeup, heels, mini dresses, padded bras (and later, fake breasts) tells me she loved to look feminine. But she did seem to want to look striking too, which is why I agree that her style may have resembled Agyness Deyn's. Although some may think it's just their similar styles, I also think Agyness resembles Edie a lot.

13-10-2009
windowshopping

Yeah I do to. Agyness has ever so slightly harsher features, but the resemblace is certainly there.
I have tried to watch Beauty #2 on several occasions but I can't for the life of me figure out what they are saying! I can only go by what I saw in 'Factory Girl' (which I already know is horrible inacurate) and some quote's I've seen. So I didn't know she'd said that about her hair/earrings.
She may have loved the feminine look, but I think she also knew what suited her. She had a HUGE love for all things girly, and it was reflected in her look most of the time. Which I consider a talent. Who ever heard of a girly tomboy!? Ha-ha.

13-10-2009
front row

Oh yes, the sound quality in Beauty #2 is atrocious, but with each viewing you start to catch on to a little more dialogue until you begin understand the conversation (I don't think I'll ever decipher a word of Inner and Outer Space though). I hope some day someone will type up the dialogue from Inner and Outer Space that's in that book (I forget its name).

Personally I think Edie looked most beautiful with her long dark hair in Ciao! Manhattan, but then the bright, charming Edie I know and love was a short-haired blonde, so I can't decide between them. I also feel Edie's 1965 style reflected her personality so much more. In Edie's early photos with brown hair, she doesn't look at all like the sort of person who would be a fun-loving extrovert.

13-10-2009
windowshopping

Completely agree. When I see pictured of Edie pre-1964 I find it hard to believe that she is the same person. I think my favourite is when she was at her height in New York. 1965, big black eyes, blonde hair, gigantic earrings. I just LOVE that style! I think I would like her with long hair if I didn't associate it with her demise. Or her unhappiness in general. When she was blonde and short, you knew she was happy and loving life. But when you see her with long hair(pieces), whether it was before or after she met Andy and became part of The Factory crowd, you just know how miserable she is. Even with the brown short hair. But when I see her with blonde short hair, I see a beautiful young girl. Not a sad downtrodden shadow of a star.

Wow that was pretty in depth. Didn't mean it to be so depressing!! Ha-ha.
x

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Drug talk

13-10-2009
front row

Oh that's not too depressing, I'm sure it's something we've all given thought to. It's interesting how as you mentioned, Edie's short bleached hair, heavy makeup, and long earrings had the ability to distract from what was underneath. Edie did say that her style was often reflective of her personal issues, particularly the deaths of her brothers.

I just remembered something I've been meaning to ask, did Edie attend the Woodstock music festival in 1969?

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Drug talk

13-10-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
Oh that's not too depressing, I'm sure it's something we've all given thought to. It's interesting how as you mentioned, Edie's short bleached hair, heavy makeup, and long earrings had the ability to distract from what was underneath. Edie did say that her style was often reflective of her personal issues, particularly the deaths of her brothers.

I just remembered something I've been meaning to ask, did Edie attend the Woodstock music festival in 1969?
I'm not sure if she went to Woodstock especially since she spent the last three years of her life in mental institutions.

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Drug talk

13-10-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
btw PinkGoddess do you by any chance have a larger picture of edie in your avatar. I've never seen it in color before

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Edited quote

13-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
That's true, she did have a great face shape and bone structure for cropped hair as well, but I've always felt she wore the boyish style out of necessity more than anything.
I've heard that Edie was a tomboy already as a little girl, riding and being a real outdoorsy type..

IMO I love her New York-style, it's so simple and yet she made it so amazing.

13-10-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
woodstock, ny...the town, not the festival. I think she may have stayed with bob dylan's manager et al up there.
(or something like that, correct me if I'm wrong).

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Edited quote

14-10-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle0187 View Post
btw PinkGoddess do you by any chance have a larger picture of edie in your avatar. I've never seen it in color before
Oh it's not a colour photo, I just colourised it. Sorry, I've only got it in 100x100 size:

14-10-2009
front row

**edited for drug talk**

But did Edie really start hanging out with Bob after she left the Factory? Because didn't Andy tell her that Bob had gotten married?

Last edited by Party_Vixen; 14-10-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: see tFS community rules

14-10-2009
trendsetter

That's some Factory Girl bull****. She met Bob for the first time in December 1964 but they didn't hang out that much until mid 1965. Bob got married at the end of 1965. In the Edie book someone says that Edie saw the newspaper that said Bob had gotten secretly married and that she seemed sad but it never says anything about Andy's reaction. And no one will ever really know what kind of relationship Edie and Bob had so it's useless (and tiring) to speculate.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, edie, sedgwick