How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

14-10-2009
V.I.P.

I think everyone wants to know the truth about Edie, but my impression is that no one really knew her..

14-10-2009
trendsetter

I agree. I think a lot of people thought they knew her but i doubt she ever told them anything really personal about herself or how she felt about things.

14-10-2009
V.I.P.

yeah, and I think she made a lot of stuff up, or at least altered the truth a bit when she told ppl about her life before coming to NY

14-10-2009
windowshopping

Nobody knew her. Not really. I don't think she even knew herself half the time. That, to me is what makes her so striking.

15-10-2009
front row

I agree, she seemed like one of those people who made such a strong and lasting impression on you after just one meeting, that I can see how even if she and Bob were never close, why he would write numerous songs about her.

BTW, at 3:53 of the end credits in Factory Girl there is a segment where people are interviewed about the REAL Edie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GE4Z05hO8&feature=fvw

15-10-2009
windowshopping

She was allegedly close with Bob Dylan's friend(manager? Can never remember) who was called Bob Neuwirth. But never with Bob Dylan.

However, Dylan did KNOW Edie. And probably heard countless things about her. That to me explains the songs. You write about what you know. And Dylan was probably fascinated by her, just like we and thousands of other people are.

15-10-2009
front row

That's true, plus when you come across a personality as strong as Edie's, you tend to feel much closer to the person than you are, which leads you to speculate a lot about their nature.

I remember reading somewhere that you can only truly appreciate something if you've experienced the total opposite, I think that explains the fascination that people like Andy and Bob had toward Edie. Andy especially, because he in many ways wanted to emulate what Edie had.

15-10-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemissmolz View Post
She was allegedly close with Bob Dylan's friend(manager? Can never remember) who was called Bob Neuwirth. But never with Bob Dylan.

However, Dylan did KNOW Edie. And probably heard countless things about her. That to me explains the songs. You write about what you know. And Dylan was probably fascinated by her, just like we and thousands of other people are.
That's not alleged, it's true. I think that's why people think she was in love with Bob Dylan because she was in love with Bob Neuwirth. People must have gotten the two confused.

16-10-2009
windowshopping

I would've loved to have met her. She just seemed like the type of girl you could have a great time with, but also quite intelligent and artistically talented; slightly different from the overrated socialites of the 21st century. Oh, I wonder what it was like to walk through her closet....

Last edited by Olive de Jubilee; 16-10-2009 at 03:00 AM.

16-10-2009
front row

Some random avatars I made:

Last edited by PinkGoddess; 16-10-2009 at 06:13 AM.

16-10-2009
front row

16-10-2009
front row

16-10-2009
front row

16-10-2009
front row

16-10-2009
V.I.P.

I wish people that knew Edie would tell us more about her, but some of them are really old or even dead.. I'm so glad I managed to meet Malanga

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, edie, sedgwick