How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
19-10-2009
  226
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Has anyone else noticed the parallels between Edie and the Holly Golightly character in Breakfast At Tiffany's? The film is mentioned in Factory Girl, though only superficially. I think many aspects of the character reflect Edie, for example:

-Holly is raised on a farm and runs away due to family conflicts.
-Holly becomes a street smart New York socialite/society girl.
-Holly is an extroverted free spirit who runs away from personal issues and refuses to be 'put in a cage'.
-Holly is considered shocking and somewhat vulgar for her time but has an innocent sweetness that charms everyone around her.
-Despite Holly's glamorous image, her lack of paid employment means she rarely has money and mostly gets by on charming rich friends into giving her cash.
-The book comments on the shifting position of mid-century art into the consumer culture, Holly's self-constructed persona being the major symbol.
-The death of Holly's brother affects her deeply and causes her to live faster and run away from personal issues even more.
-Holly considers all the rich men she escorts "rats"; Edie says she wouldn't marry for money because all the rich men she knows are "pigs".
-Holly is suggested to be a part-time prostitute in the book; Edie prostituted herself to a biker gang.
-Holly inspired a an author of fiction; Edie inspired numerous songwriters.
-Horses are a reoccurring motif in the book, symbolising Holly's untamed rejection of social convention, as they were in Edie's life.
-Holly says you can always tell what kind of a person a man thinks you are by the earrings he gives you, Edie said someone could assess her psychological condition by her earrings (okay that was a random one)
-Holly runs away at the end of the book to find her new home, leaving the ending ambiguous, similar to Edie's own ending.


Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Drug talk
 
 
19-10-2009
  227
windowshopping
 
Littlemissmolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swindon, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Vixen View Post
^ Littlemissmolz please provide the source(s) of the images posted above or they will be removed. Thanks!
Source for pics http://www.facebook.com/Littmemissmo...7840793&ref=mf

__________________
'You Live Alone, Creating Life As You Go..." - Edie Sedgwick
 
19-10-2009
  228
windowshopping
 
Littlemissmolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swindon, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkGoddess View Post
Has anyone else noticed the parallels between Edie and the Holly Golightly character in Breakfast At Tiffany's? The film is mentioned in Factory Girl, though only superficially. I think many aspects of the character reflect Edie, for example:

-Holly is raised on a farm and runs away due to family conflicts.
-Holly becomes a street smart New York socialite/society girl.
-Holly is an extroverted free spirit who runs away from personal issues and refuses to be 'put in a cage'.
-Holly is considered shocking and somewhat vulgar for her time but has an innocent sweetness that charms everyone around her.
-Despite Holly's glamorous image, her lack of paid employment means she rarely has money and mostly gets by on charming rich friends into giving her cash.
-The book comments on the shifting position of mid-century art into the consumer culture, Holly's self-constructed persona being the major symbol.
-The death of Holly's brother affects her deeply and causes her to live faster and run away from personal issues even more.
-Holly considers all the rich men she escorts "rats"; Edie says she wouldn't marry for money because all the rich men she knows are "pigs".
-Holly is suggested to be a part-time prostitute in the book; Edie prostituted herself to a biker gang.
-Holly inspired a an author of fiction; Edie inspired numerous songwriters.
-Horses are a reoccurring motif in the book, symbolising Holly's untamed rejection of social convention, as they were in Edie's life.
-Holly says you can always tell what kind of a person a man thinks you are by the earrings he gives you, Edie said someone could assess her psychological condition by her earrings (okay that was a random one)
-Holly runs away at the end of the book to find her new home, leaving the ending ambiguous, similar to Edie's own ending.
I have noticed that before actually.

__________________
'You Live Alone, Creating Life As You Go..." - Edie Sedgwick

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Edited quote
 
19-10-2009
  229
V.I.P.
 
loonaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,712
wasn't that character based on Marilyn or something?

__________________
If you really cared for me, You'd let me be, You'd set me free...But what you robbed me of is my..My liberty
 
19-10-2009
  230
trendsetter
 
babydoll1125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,485
Yes, Capote wrote it for Marilyn and he wanted her to star in the film. I think she agreed to it shortly before she died.

__________________
Ah, fill the cup - what boots it to repeat? How time is slipping underneath our feet: Unborn to-morrow and dead yesterday, Why fret about them if today be sweet! - Omar Khayyam
 
20-10-2009
  231
front row
 
PinkGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 250
Yep, it was Marilyn, as well as a few other women. I wonder if Truman Capote notice the similarities to Edie after writing it. He may have known her because he once said something to the effect of "Andy wanted to be Edie".

 
20-10-2009
  232
windowshopping
 
Littlemissmolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swindon, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll1125 View Post
Yes, Capote wrote it for Marilyn and he wanted her to star in the film. I think she agreed to it shortly before she died.
The part was written for Marilyn, but she decided not to do it. So it was re-written for Audrey. To make her more believeable in the part.

__________________
'You Live Alone, Creating Life As You Go..." - Edie Sedgwick
 
20-10-2009
  233
V.I.P.
 
loonaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,712
I think Capote knew who Edie was..from what I've heard Andy was a fan of him.
Just have to say, Audrey...so amazing in that film^^

__________________
If you really cared for me, You'd let me be, You'd set me free...But what you robbed me of is my..My liberty
 
20-10-2009
  234
rising star
 
Lupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Gender: homme
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemissmolz View Post
The part was written for Marilyn, but she decided not to do it. So it was re-written for Audrey. To make her more believeable in the part.
The film version is loosely adapted from the novella by Truman Capote. Truman Capote wanted Marilyn, and had decided to tailor the script of the film of Breakfast at Tiffany's to better-fit Marilyn. According to Capote, the studios double-crossed him, and signed Audrey Hepburn to be cast instead.

As far as I know, Edie was not a prostitute for bikers, that is a double-negative: being a prostitute for bikers. lol

as for the references with Factory Girl, George Hickenlooper had wanted to create a new version of Breakfast at Tiffany's, hence the running away scene at the end. Which is why there was an early sypnosis of the film saying: A young party girl heads to New York to become Holly Golightly...

Breakfast at Tiffany's the film, is a loosely adapted from the novella, and Factory Girl is adapted from Edie's Life, is like something perhaps Andy Warhol could have had liked, the parallels between each other, and in between.

__________________
LUPETOHEE.TUMBLR.COM

Last edited by classicalbang; 17-09-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Off-topic discussion
 
21-10-2009
  235
backstage pass
 
fairyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Gender: femme
Posts: 746
I, personally, don´t think anyone drew any parallels between Edie and Holly at that time... but who knows...

__________________
http://shebeen.tumblr.com
 
22-10-2009
  236
windowshopping
 
Littlemissmolz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swindon, England
Gender: femme
Posts: 28
I really doubt the character was based on Edie since the film was made in 1961!!

But I can see a few similarities. But I honestly think it's pure coincidence.

__________________
'You Live Alone, Creating Life As You Go..." - Edie Sedgwick
 
22-10-2009
  237
V.I.P.
 
loonaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,712
troubled rich girl isn't exactly the most original plot in the world^^

__________________
If you really cared for me, You'd let me be, You'd set me free...But what you robbed me of is my..My liberty
 
22-10-2009
  238
trendsetter
 
babydoll1125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Seattle
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,485
I agree, i think you can find parallels between Edie and a lot of movie characters if you're looking for them.

__________________
Ah, fill the cup - what boots it to repeat? How time is slipping underneath our feet: Unborn to-morrow and dead yesterday, Why fret about them if today be sweet! - Omar Khayyam
 
22-10-2009
  239
V.I.P.
 
loonaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,712
I think the reason why I'm so gaga when it comes to Edie, except for her beauty and style is the mystery..

__________________
If you really cared for me, You'd let me be, You'd set me free...But what you robbed me of is my..My liberty
 
22-10-2009
  240
backstage pass
 
ScarlettLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Birmingham
Gender: femme
Posts: 937
^I agree. I think the reason why I'm so disinterested in most celebs today is because we know EVERYTHING about them. If there is no mystery there's nothing to look forward to, that's why so many old hollywood stars are captivating.

Edie certainly had no shortage of mystery. Sometimes I think she was an absolute nutcase and then I hear stories where she sounds like the coolest person ever...

__________________
Blog: Spirit Of A Dream
 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, edie, sedgwick
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.