How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-05-2006
a dim capacity for wings

Frances Farmer
i thought it was time for a thread...

camerawork.de

biography from all movie guide:
Quote:
The legend of actress Frances Farmer endures among the greatest tragedies in the Hollywood firmament; a gifted, luminous performer, she tumbled from the peak of success into a series of nervous breakdowns, sanatorium stays, and bouts with alcoholism. Born September 19, 1913, in Seattle, WA, Farmer was the daughter of an attorney. Her passion was the stage, but her attempts to join the Group Theater in New York were met with little interest, and she reluctantly signed a seven-year contract with Paramount. She made her film debut in 1936's Too Many Parents, quickly followed by Border Flight. Later that same year she also starred opposite Bing Crosby in Rhythm on the Range.

Farmer's acclaimed turn in the troubled Howard Hawks/William Wyler picture Come and Get It rocketed her to stardom, and many media outlets touted her as the next big thing. With the onset of fame, however, she became notoriously difficult behind the scenes, much to the displeasure of studio executives who punished her with small, stifling roles in films like 1937's Exclusive, Ebb Tide, and, while on loan to RKO, The Toast of New York. Farmer continued to wage war on Paramount, however, and demanded they let her travel to New York to star in the Group Theater's production of Golden Boy. Her stage bow was met with critical displeasure, however, and upon her return to Hollywood, Paramount -- fearing she'd lost all of her momentum -- assigned her the Western programmer Ride the Crooked Mile, where she starred with Leif Erickson, who later became her husband.

Farmer soon rebelled again, demanding better scripts and threatening to move permanently to New York, so the studio retaliated by loaning her to United Artists for the 1940 jungle adventure South of Pago Pago. The chess match continued, and after Farmer successfully demanded to star with John Garfield in Warner Bros.' Flowing Gold, Paramount responded by forcing her into three consecutive B-list productions: Badlands of Dakota, World Premiere, and Among the Living. The 1942 Son of Fury appeared poised to push Farmer back into the spotlight, but at the moment of the picture's release she was arrested for drunk driving. Her personal life a shambles, she headed to Mexico to shoot a film provisionally titled There Is No Escape but ultimately exited the project prior to its completion. However, by traveling south of the border, Farmer had broken her probation, and as a result she was ordered to be committed to a sanitarium.

Farmer spent the remainder of the decade in and out of institutions, suffering several nervous breakdowns and losing her battle with alcoholism. Only in 1949 was she finally released from her asylum stay. In 1957, Farmer was found working as a hotel receptionist in San Francisco and was coaxed out of retirement. She soon made her first comeback appearance on television's Ed Sullivan Show, where she sang and discussed her hopes of revitalizing her movie career. However, she made only one more film, the 1958 teen drama The Party Crashers. Farmer did appear in a handful of theatrical productions, and beginning in 1960 she hosted an Indianapolis-based television program about movies. She died of cancer on August 1, 1970; her autobiography, Will There Really Be a Morning?, was published posthumously. In the years following her death, Farmer's cult following grew immensely, and in 1982 Jessica Lange starred in Frances, a film biography of her troubled life and times. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Movie Guide

06-05-2006
tfs star

she's lovely

08-05-2006
V.I.P.

Didn't Kurt Cobain of Nirvana have an obsession about her? Sorry, that's a bit off-topic.

I'd like to see more pictures of her, she seems lovely, as Josephine said.

....ITMFA....

I was going to (eventually) post these in 1930's Actresses, but now that she has her own thread....

(geocities.com; briansdriveintheater.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Farmer (geocities.com)3.jpg (31.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Farmer (geocities.com).jpg (121.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Farmer by Hurrell (geocities.com).jpg (25.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Farmer (geocities.com)2.jpg (53.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Farmer (briansdriveintheater.com).jpg (18.7 KB, 9 views)

08-05-2006
....ITMFA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
Didn't Kurt Cobain of Nirvana have an obsession about her? Sorry, that's a bit off-topic.

I'd like to see more pictures of her, she seems lovely, as Josephine said.
According to wikipedia:
Quote:
Frances {Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love's daughert} was named after Frances McKee of the Vaselines, although it's mistakenly thought that Frances Farmer is the real source of her name. Both Kurt and Courtney showed an apparent fascination with the Seattle actress, with Courtney even wearing a dress that once belonged to her when she married Kurt.

www.flickr.com/jstreitdesign/
08-05-2006
....ITMFA....

And here's a photo from 1937 that was already posted in 1930's Actresses...

(hurrellphotos.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frances Farmer 1937 (hurrellphotos.com).jpg (30.8 KB, 10 views)

08-05-2006
front row

I'm really glad people start thread's like this about interesting but seemingly forgotten stars

Last edited by Mabli; 08-05-2006 at 01:59 PM.
08-05-2006
....ITMFA....

There were a few pictures of her on wikipedia....

Plus I thought this was interesting (also from wikipedia)...
She allowed the Paramount make-up department to shave off her eyebrows as a part of the routine "makeover" given to any newly contracted actress. Only a year later (1937), studio photographs show they'd grown back and she wasn't trimming them pencil-thin, contrary to the standard practice for Hollywood actresses at the time.
....which perhaps explains why I think she looks quite modern in some of her photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrancesFarmer (wikipedia.org).jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FrancesFarmer_PicturegoerFeb1937 (wikipedia.org).jpg (32.8 KB, 5 views)

08-05-2006
a dim capacity for wings

^that's true, it's amazing what difference eyebrows can make!
luxury's lap, thanks for all the pictures!

i forgot to mention, the one i posted is by edward steichen.

and white linen, there was also a song about frances farmer on 'in utero', i believe...

08-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estella Mare
and white linen, there was also a song about frances farmer on 'in utero', i believe...
yes, I find it difficult to forget a title like "Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle" :p

I associate her with our own Jbarahona

Away From Here

wow. what a sad story ....yet another actress from this era who ended up subject to quack psychiatry - a labotomy??!!

Quote:
FRANCES FARMER: 1913-1970

Frances Farmer was a successful screen and stage actress in Hollywood and Broadway in the 1930s and 1940s. Jessica Lange later portrayed her story in the movie, Frances. Upset over a string of failed relationships, Farmer was involuntarily committed in 1943. For seven years, she was subjected to 90 insulin shocks and electroshocks, and was sold by psychiatric workers to drunken sailors who repeatedly raped her. She told of being "raped by orderlies, gnawed on by rats, poisoned by tainted food, chained in padded cells, strapped in strait jackets and half drowned in ice baths." Her last "treatment" was a lobotomy by Walter Freeman. Farmer never regained her abilities and died, destitute.

30-06-2006
Away From Here

http://www.geocities.com/~themistyon.../p2022-146.jpg

30-06-2006
Away From Here

http://www.geocities.com/~themistyon...s/p2022-97.jpg

Last edited by MulletProof; 14-08-2006 at 01:36 PM.
30-06-2006
Away From Here

http://www.geocities.com/~themistyone/hale_photos.htm

Last edited by MulletProof; 14-08-2006 at 01:36 PM.
30-06-2006
backstage pass

I had no idea who she was just... I just knew the Nirvana song... :p

she's gorgeous.. I love the picture with her drawn on eyebrows.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
farmer, frances