How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-04-2007
V.I.P.

She is lovely, i love this thread, tho it's so many pics that arenęt showing up for me

21-07-2007
V.I.P.

I found this beautiful pic

(saexplorers.org)

08-08-2007
doldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
What's up with the unibrow and her mustache?
I'm sure if Frida hated her facial hair then she would've got rid of them. I don't think it bothered her.

12-08-2007
Press escape to continue.

time.com, published 14 November 1938

Quote:
Bomb Beribboned

Flutter of the week in Manhattan was caused by the first exhibition of paintings by famed Muralist Diego Rivera's German-Mexican wife, Frida Kahlo. Too shy to show her work before, black-browed little Frida has been painting since 1926, when an automobile smashup put her in a plaster cast, "bored as hell."

According to a letter quoted by Old Rivera Fan Bertram D. Wolfe, who introduces her to the smart world in this month's Vogue, she never knew she was a Surrealist until Old Surrealist André Breton came to Mexico and told her so. In a note on her exhibition last week at the Julien Levy Gallery, Surrealist Breton expanded in precious French, ending by describing her painting as "a ribbon around a bomb."

This was a fairly exact, if flattering, figure. Little Frida's pictures, mostly painted in oil on copper, had the daintiness of miniatures, the vivid reds and yellows of Mexican tradition and the playfully bloody fancy of an unsentimental child.

Most charming piece: Self-Portrait with Heart, Frida's record of a period of unhappiness with Diego, showing her with tears on her cheeks, a ferrule sticking through the hole in her body where her heart was, two tiny imps playing seesaw on the ferrule. Political bit: a full-length portrait of Frida holding a scroll inscribed: "To Leon Trotsky, with all love, I dedicate this painting, 7 November, 1937."

Frida Rivera's esteem for her house guest, Exile Leon Trotsky, antedates but probably does not surpass André Breton's. From Mexico last summer Poet Breton and Painter Diego Rivera issued a furious manifesto, calling on all independent revolutionary intellectuals, "whose voice is drowned by the odious tumult of the regimented falsifiers," to form a world-wide union against the oppression of art by any political regime, especially the Stalinist.

Fortnight ago this manifesto exploded in London's Surrealist Group, led by scholarly, pale-faced, silken-voiced Herbert Read, who occupies the magnificently ambiguous position of arch Surrealist apologist and editor of the Burlington Magazine, England's most conservative art publication. Presented by Professor Read, the Breton manifesto led to a bitter tiff between Communist and Trotskyist members, finally to a breakup. Last word came from Gallery Director E. L. T. Mesens, who suggested that the English Surrealists had never been worth their salt anyway, having always abstained from such direct action as driving horses into theatre foyers on first nights of distasteful plays, or "letting off revolvers in the street while distributing leaflets."

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk skin paws View Post
I'm sure if Frida hated her facial hair then she would've got rid of them. I don't think it bothered her.
yeah i know what you mean, and it's so lovely since she was so feminin in other ways, shows that you don't have to be all polished to be a woman:p

21-08-2007
backstage pass

I love Frida! I don't get those that don't get Frida. I loved that earlier picture with Frida & the deer. Reminds me on her work in 1946. A couple of pics..thelittledeer 1946.jpg

240 x 360 rerz.bmpSource: art.com and talkingpix.co.uk

18-09-2007
backstage pass

the last one is salma in the frida biopic, ruslana, or isn't she? thanks for posting
LOVE anything frida, btw.

25-11-2007
leave me with your Borneo

Frida Kahlo Skincare

this is new.... not quite sure what Frida's opinion about this would be.

the site's not working too well for me, so it's hard to say if the products look decent (or not).

tfs star

She has really nice jewellery.

03-06-2009
V.I.P.

some pics dont show up anymore...

i'm posting some photos to bring new life in this thread..

pics from ebay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BS5Fvv!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl4)iEBKFejiKubQ~~_3.JPG (81.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 259102028_o.jpg (118.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 259107154_o.jpg (110.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 263559005_o.jpg (131.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 263581989_o.jpg (78.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by lady stardust; 03-06-2009 at 07:41 AM.
04-06-2009
backstage pass

thanks for bringing this thread back with such beautiful pics,lady stardust!she was very expressive.everything about her was art.

-emily bronte-
04-06-2009
rising star

Thanks lady stardust! I love Frida, too. I also think her style (beyond just fashion) is incredibly inspiring.

02-11-2009
Spring of Córdoba

^ it is

V.I.P.

ebay.com

backstage pass

I didn't know there was a Frida Kahlo thread. Love her.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
frida, kahlo