How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-11-2010
V.I.P.

Vogue Japan August 2010 ebook30

10-12-2010
windowshopping

Listen to Karl talking about the inspiration behind the new Chanel line

http://www.vogue.co.uk/video/voguetv...spx/exclusives

17-12-2010
backstage pass

For someone who asked about the Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky movie, those bad reviews are made by people who don't understand fashion nor art. They obviously come from people who are only interested in mega hit movies with famous cast.
The movie is very beautiful, especially the story about the love affair between Coco and Igor. The movie literally shows the empty love life of both characters - and how special they feel after secretly getting together.
It's an amazing movie, really. Definitely worth watching for people who understand what real treasure is.

V.I.P.

BOOK REVIEW: The Glamorous Lies Of Coco Chanel

We tend to give the people we admire most the benefit of the doubt. But what good is that practice when the person we’re busy admiring is the one who created that doubt to begin with?

That’s the question confronted in Justine Picardies new biography Coco Chanel: The Legend and the Life. As it turns out, Madamoiselle lied. A lot. She told countless versions of her life story to different friends and family members, purposefully obscuring (or conveniently forgetting) the truth as it suited her needs. From her actual age (Was she in her teens or her 30s when she met Boy Capel?) to her upbringing (Did her father deposit her at a convent, or was she orphaned and raised by her aunts?), the designer who turned simplicity into luxury had a few things she wanted to hide.
Picardie’s zeal in uncovering the truth — and discovering the hidden meaning behind the symbols that popped up in Chanel’s work and personal lives — makes for a read that is always interesting, if at times a little dense. Still, the diference between Chanel’s legacy and the life she actually lived is sure to get anyone who loves the brand or its founder through even the most detail-laden of Picardie’s paragraphs. Then again, the devil (and the whole story) is in the details.
If we’ve piqued your interest, well, good!

stylite.com

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

need it!

NEED it.

V.I.P.

Elle 3407 France April 15-21, 2011 ebook30

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar Russia March 2011 ebook30

17-05-2011
V.I.P.

Re #154- I just ordered the book, was surprised to find a used copy cheap...

19-05-2011
V.I.P.

Good news!! This show was much better than it's reputation, as far as I am concerned anyway...the original cast recording is still available- Would love to see it back in NY!!

http://www.refinery29.com/chanel-sho...ondon-comeback

20-05-2011
V.I.P.

In Karl's Fairy Tale film for the Cruise show, Kristen mentions she is buying "Coco's house"- and here it is!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/gr...9wVjPy1Iaa3DWA

02-08-2011
V.I.P.

The new book is out, but for those of us who are obsessed with these things, not much that we haven't known already, although it has usually been downplayed in a major way- so you can make of this what you will...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...oved-Nazi.html

13-08-2011
V.I.P.

Chanel spied for Hitler: book

Coco Chanel was the best-dressed Nazi spy in the 1940s, according to a shocking new book on her life, which claims the creator and muse behind the Chanel brand was an intelligence operative for the German military organization Abwehr.

Journalist Hal Vaughan, born in America and who lives in Paris, lays out evidence of Chanel's work with the Nazis during World War II in a new book, "Sleeping With the Enemy: Coco Chanel's Secret War." Vaughan reports that in 1940, Chanel was recruited into the Abwehr, having been introduced to the organization through one of her lovers, Baron Hans Gunther von Dincklage, a German agent who was honored by Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels during the war.

Dincklage, reports Vaughan, "managed Chanel's relations with Nazi officialdom in Paris and Berlin," and arranged for her to live in the Hotel Ritz in occupied Paris, which had been reserved for Nazi officials.
The designer was labeled in Abwehr records as Agent F-7124, he claims. Her code name was Westminster, borrowed from Chanel's longtime friend and sometime lover, the Duke of Westminster.

The book says Chanel used her Nazi ties to try to regain ownership of Chanel No. 5 perfume from her Jewish partners, the Wertheimers, who produced and distributed her fragrance across the world. Her bid was unsuccessful, as the Wertheimers had shielded their businesses before fleeing to the US. Chanel No. 5 went on to be the biggest-selling fragrance in history.

Chanel later fled to Switzerland with Dincklage for nine years until she returned to Paris at 70. She was never charged for any involvement with the Nazis, and died in 1971.

Vaughan's book will be published Tuesday by Knopf.

NY Post

Last edited by Boomer; 13-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.
15-08-2011
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar US August 2011

storemags via tarsha

18-08-2011
V.I.P.

^ eeee!

V.I.P.

Domovoy Russia March 2001 my scans

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chanel, coco, gabrielle