How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-02-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierney
Awww yay! I am soooo excited!! Gene is my great-aunt and whenever I say I am related to her people have no idea who she is or even was!!! Thank you so much this means the world to me!! hehehe. :-) Let me know if yall have any questions about her! I would be more than thrilled to answer!
That is so cool!

12-02-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingqueen
Her first daughter was born mentally retarded because Gene had contracted measles during a U.S.O. tour. This served as the uncredited inspiration for the plot of the 1980 Agatha Christie movie The Mirror Crack'd (1980).
The even sadder part is that the contracted the measles from a fan who had them and crept out of hospital to meet her and have her picture taken with her.

12-02-2006
fashion insider

More pictures!

toobig

Last edited by Orchide; 15-06-2006 at 04:01 AM.

12-02-2006
fashion insider

I didn't realise how big the pictures would end up on the screen! Sorry.

17-02-2006
front row

Quote:
They certainly were on the right track!! Belle was part french... not full blooded french though! :-) I know what you mean though... there is barely any information on the internet about her! It is funny though because most of the movies she was cast in... she was cast as an asian!!! Standard Hollywood for you! haha. I am guessing thats where the exotic thing came from? hahaha who knows. She certainly was a beauty though!! Not to mention very intelligent! Eek I could go on and on! haha.
I'm terribly late but thanks for the answer to my question.

I know she was cast as an East Asian in films like Shanghai Gesture. I guess with the 'teardrop shape of her eyes' I can see where the idea came from. I did watch the A&E biography her on the Laura DVD - quite moving, and well done.

I've only seen a few of her films in honesty - Laura, Leave Her to Heaven, Razor's Edge, Heaven Can Wait, the Ghost and Mrs. Muir... I would love to see more, especially Dragonwyck but in Canada there isn't that much access to old American films. Unless you have a subscription to TMC. But Laura remains one of my favourite film noirs, and films period. The casting was flawless, dialogue impeccable, the storyline perfectly executed.

Thanks for all the pictures. And Ziegfeld Girl, too big in size or not, that last picture in particular was lovely, so thanks.

Here is another picture from worth1000.com, this time of her in Shanghai Gesture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shanghai gesture.jpg (47.6 KB, 34 views)

18-02-2006
backstage pass

I just wanted to let everyone know that I made a myspace group for my great aunt so if anyone is intersted in joining! just go here: http://groups.myspace.com/GeneTierney

20-02-2006
fashion insider

Model Carolyn Murphy was once referred to by Elle magazine as a blonde haired Gene Tierney. I think in some shots of Carolyn Murphy in her younger shots she looked a bit like Gene. What do you all think?

Carolyn Murphy

09-03-2006
fashion insider

I found some more photos - sorry if they are reposts.

Source: www.imdb.com

(She's the one on the left)

09-03-2006
backstage pass

did you guys see that they did a tribute to her at the oscars? during the film noir montages!

10-03-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
did you guys see that they did a tribute to her at the oscars? during the film noir montages!
She looked so beautiful in the clips they showed. I also loved how Laura was played while Lauren Bacall was walking across the stage.

30-03-2006
V.I.P.

I just ordered an old book about Gene at ABE Books which finds a lot of old Hollywood stuff that is very rare. I can't wait to read it, and I hope we can all keep coming back here to trade thoughts!
Thanks to all of you!!

31-03-2006
V.I.P.

Gorgeous thread! I'm very interested about her right now.

12-04-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
I just ordered an old book about Gene at ABE Books which finds a lot of old Hollywood stuff that is very rare. I can't wait to read it, and I hope we can all keep coming back here to trade thoughts!
Thanks to all of you!!
Really! I have heard about it... I haven't picked it up yet! I really should go to borders and buy it this weekend!! I really want to watch that Biography A&E had on her! I bought the DVD and under special features it has it! I cant wait to watch it! Have you started reading it yet? How is it so far?

12-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Really! I have heard about it... I haven't picked it up yet! I really should go to borders and buy it this weekend!! I really want to watch that Biography A&E had on her! I bought the DVD and under special features it has it! I cant wait to watch it! Have you started reading it yet? How is it so far?
It's called "Self Portrait" (Gene w/ Mickey Herskowitz) Wyden Books '79/Berkley Books (Paperback) '80- It is wonderful! I have only gotten a few chapters in but I love it already; there was so much about her that I didn't know, her family background and upbringing (And I think the copy I got was $1.00 at ABE!!) I recommend it highly! Please let me know what you think, too!

14-05-2006
V.I.P.

some pics of sweet gene for your pleasure!!!
source - ebay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03_1_b.jpg (30.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 6a_1_b.jpg (30.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 23_1_b.jpg (44.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 46_1_b.jpg (47.1 KB, 14 views)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
gene, tierney