How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-07-2005
tfs star

cute pic

zZzZz

I saw Gia the movie with Angelina a while back. Well, I didn't get to see all of it, just up to when she's in the Geisha outfit It was pretty good so far

Last edited by oicicup; 17-07-2005 at 07:09 PM.

17-07-2005
V.I.P.

On topic, (I hope) I agree with what Cindy Crawford once said that "Who's to say that the modelling industry is worse now than it was then?" I mean, then the models were approachable and were household names, but today everyone can be considered beautiful, from the conventional looking ones to the holocaust survivors to the stwie look-a-likes plus size girls...

03-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Gia by Arthur Elgort and Chris von Wangenheim, Italian Bazaar July/August 1978.

03-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Early photoshoot by Friedman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giaphoto09sm.jpg (168.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg giaphoto11sm.jpg (50.8 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg dec-13sm.jpg (55.2 KB, 68 views)

03-09-2005
V.I.P.

She was the best model ever.Lovely, lovely Gia Thanx for the superb pics iluvjeisa!!!

03-09-2005
V.I.P.

pics from ebay:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bestofgia21.jpg (66.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg dior47.jpg (111.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg thingofbeauty.jpg (43.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg vogue38.jpg (185.9 KB, 37 views)

03-09-2005
V.I.P.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...&highlight=Gia

04-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
I suggest these threads merge because as you can see someone has referred back to this thread in the thread you referred to. Or maybe it's enough to have a reference to the other thread in each thread? I don't know - just wondering I prefer this thread since her name is spelled right here

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 04-09-2005 at 01:55 AM.
04-09-2005
rising star

after reading the book about gia..all i can said just two words sad case.. the reason why she is in modeling just for the sake of getting her mother's attention..she just every right..sex, drugs, fastcars, AIDS and an early death!!!

04-09-2005
Amour Comme Hiver

About the height and weight-

A) Normal people aren't/weren't Gia sized, or the size of any other 'super'. Unless marked plus sized, none of the models I've ever seen have been 5'4 and 140 lbs. Gia was 5'7 and probably c. 115 lbs.

Gia would have been famous at any height, like Kate. When you don't have one of the requirements, then you must be the best of the best in all the other departments- measurements, how you walk, how you pose, your energy and intensity. And Gia had that.

04-09-2005
front row

I loved her. I definetly prefer the models of the 70s/ 80s. They had spunk and personality. The original supermodels cannot be beat. Today, it seems like any emaciated girl who looks like a little boy can be a model. Most of the models on the runway today just don't seem to have the same personality and charisma as the models in the past.

04-09-2005
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeLady
I loved her. I definetly prefer the models of the 70s/ 80s. They had spunk and personality. The original supermodels cannot be beat. Today, it seems like any emaciated girl who looks like a little boy can be a model. Most of the models on the runway today just don't seem to have the same personality and charisma as the models in the past.
In a way I suppose we are back in the 30s and 40s where models were clotheshangers only and in no way comparable to the stars of the films. Unfortunately, there are no movie stars who live up to the likes of Garbo, Dietrich or Lilian Gish today.

It's true that any girl who is tall and skinny can aspire towards becoming a model. But I think, since 2003, we have seen some trends towards a more beauty and personality oriented look - which is still very girlie because of the 60s influences. Between 1995 and 2002 there was an abundance of models who completely lacked glamorous appeal - I must say I'm very happy those days are over.

04-09-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma
About the height and weight-

A) Normal people aren't/weren't Gia sized, or the size of any other 'super'. Unless marked plus sized, none of the models I've ever seen have been 5'4 and 140 lbs. Gia was 5'7 and probably c. 115 lbs.

Gia would have been famous at any height, like Kate. When you don't have one of the requirements, then you must be the best of the best in all the other departments- measurements, how you walk, how you pose, your energy and intensity. And Gia had that.
Totally agree. Gia was probably thinner when she was ill on drugs, and still modeled during those times. When she was undergoing methodone treatments, her weight went up a little bit, and during the last Cosmo cover she ever had, Franceso Scavullo remarked on her weight gain.

credit: gia-carangi.com
However her beauty was the ruling factor in whether or not she could still continue to model while abusing drugs and showing up late to castings...many other models would've been dropped in a second by an agency if she behaved like that, but not Gia, they couldn't lose their investment in her.
I miss Gia and I doubt we will ever see a model like her in the near future.

Last edited by AbbeyRoad; 04-09-2005 at 10:21 AM.
04-09-2005
stl
trendsetter

I am not an expert, but it seems for me that any models with some issues become hot. As mentioned by someone earlier, Gia did everything: drugs, sex, AIDS and early death. Yet she was stunning. Kate Moss had some issues when she was starting out, the same with James King.

04-09-2005
scenester

Finally I see a picture of her! I was wondering for such a long time who she was.

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...&stc=1&thumb=1

In this pic she looks like Ana Beatriz Barros I think.

-Hole "Celebrity Skin"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
carangi, gia