How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-07-2011
trendsetter

Today's Caroline Kennedy's wedding aniversary. It hit me that Jackie's dress was pitch perfect. It subtly complimented Caroline's wedding gown without overshadowing it. And it was witty without appearing so. What do I mean?

Caroline's dress is embroidered with shamrocks as a nod to her father and the Kennedy Irish heritage. Jackie wore a green cocktail dress. She could have chosen any colour, but instead she went along with the theme without appearing costumey (like those dreadful bridemaids' dresses).

I'm also coming to the conclusion that my favorite Jackie looks are nobody else's because I looked in vain for pics of the dress she wore at Caroline's wedding...and could only find 2 (one in this topic, the other on google). And neither showed the full dress.

24-07-2011
rising star

Wow, wild roses, you're right. After reading your post I wanted to see the dress again and there are no good photos.

These are the closest I can find to seeing the whole dress, but they're in b/w

From Life.com:

From prisonbreakfreak.com (I don't know...it was a google search

24-07-2011
trendsetter

Thanks for finding that! The other two shots I found were focused in on Jackie's face--so one could only see the shoulder's and waist of the gown. Even though that pic isn't in colour, it does show the full length of the dress (and it's such a classic shot too!).

Karma for you for finding that pic! It's definitely one of my favorite dresses. (Well, it appears I have to spread it around to other people again. But I shant forget your google magic!)

25-07-2011
rising star

I know, I could only find these photos in black and white. This dress is a beautiful color.

Thanks for bringing my attention the these dresses! I've been mostly familiar with Jackie's 60s and 70s fashion; she was just as fabulous through the 80s.

Last edited by limo; 25-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
28-07-2011
rising star

wild roses I found a much better photo of the dress Jackie wore to Caroline's wedding at Huffingtonpost.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...e=July_19_1986

I'm glad she wore neutral shoes, if they were the same color as the dress I think it would have been too matchy-matchy.

Happy Birthday Jackie O!

29-08-2011
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar Korea August 2011 ebook30

29-08-2011
V.I.P.

Harper's Bazaar US September 2011 ebook30

30-08-2011
V.I.P.

ELLE Taiwan July 2011 ebook30.com

03-09-2011
trendsetter

Thanks for the scans

V.I.P.

daily mail
[img]http://i48.************/u/f48/11/78/63/65/artic930.jpg[/img]

11-09-2011
backstage pass

^^^^
I read that Jackie had two facelifts in her lifetime. I have to say whoever her surgeon was did a stellar job. She never looked fake.

12-09-2011
V.I.P.

^ Oh I agree.

V.I.P.

Did anyone watch the special last night on abc (Jacqueline Kennedy In Her Own Words)?

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClaire View Post
Did anyone watch the special last night on abc (Jacqueline Kennedy In Her Own Words)?
I did. I liked it, and I plan on buying the book.

I wasn't surprised by the nasty quotes JK made. If anyone has read the Sarah Bradford biography on her, she was not only thin-skinned where critiques of herself were concerned, but throughout her entire life, she played "fake diplomacy" quite well (being nice to your face while making put-downs behind your back.)

I applaud Caroline for releasing it unedited though. (Which I think had more to do with the backlash for the previous "Jackie is so perfect in every way" books she's had a hand in, rather than because she actually wanted us to see JKO warts and all.) And for wanting to restore Jackie's place in the administration. I'm really happy with all the new Jackie books we've gotten this year.

26-09-2011
front row

I have the new book with the audio recordings and I have to say that the recordings are absolutely fantastic, especially if you are fascinated by Jackie and want insight into who she really was. I have read every book about her, including William Manchester's Death of a President, but I have to say that listening to the recordings (6 hours worth!) is what I always wished for before she died--to hear her talk and reveal who she really was. Of course this recording was in 1964 and is about her life with JFK. But still it is a window into Jackie that despite all the books I've read, reveals so much more about her. You can just hear the intelligence, class, and insight. It is so generous of Caroline to release the tapes now. Also, on a fashion note, there are great pictures of Jackie dressed to perfection during the White House years.

Last edited by JackieO; 26-09-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jacqueline, kennedy, onassis