How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-09-2006
fashion insider

i've seen a bit of her here and there but never knew who she was, she has amazing style.

thank u for the link 1karina1

08-09-2006
front row

A small picture I've scanned from A and some more from olycom.it (the first one, with Antonioni) and mirrorpix.com

08-09-2006
front row

mirrorpix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogue.uk
THE BIRKIN RULES

LAST night a true fashion moment was witnessed: Jane Birkin renounced the Birkin bag in favour of something altogether more affordable. "I will always love the Hermes bags but I have tendonitis so I had to search for something smaller," she says. So now, while Hermes fans all over the world will continue to lust after the £3,000-a-pop totes that were named after the sultry French actress, the woman herself is keeping all her essentials in a sporran. "This is genius," she says, holding up a battered leather purse that is hanging off one hip. "I found it in an antique shop in Scotland for £5. I have always liked to hang my house keys off my trousers with a ribbon so I can really fit everything else I need in here. It looks attractive hanging at the front of shorts or on the hip with trousers." Blaming "too much being flung around by Hamlet" for her sore arm, Birkin was in London for the launch of the new scent she has created with Miller Harris, L'air de Rien, and says she had the idea for it when she was at her brother Andrew's house in Wales experimenting with a perfume lab he had created for his forthcoming film, Perfume. "I have never liked perfumes," she says. "I have always preferred to carry pot pourri in my pocket. It was an interesting exercise in finding out what you don't like. All the things usually associated with heady, dark-haired women like hyacinth, tuberose and lily-of-the-valley made me vomit when they were enclosed in a bottle so this one is much more me – I wanted a little of my brother's hair, my father's pipe, floor polish, empty chest of drawers, old forgotten houses." So now a Birkin sporran and the new scent are on a list of fashionista essentials, what should we wear them with? "I'm wearing 15-year-old Converse boots with the laces open so I can show off my ankles – at my age those and my collar bones are the only bits I can show off – with five-year-old men's cargo trousers and an ancient Prada jersey that I wash myself and wrap up in a towel, just the way my mother taught me," she says. Avoiding the paparazzi these days means Birkin hardly makes it to the international fashion collections. "But I am always loyal to Hermes and I like to go backstage to give Jean Paul Gaultier a kiss," she says. "And I went to Galliano with my daughters recently which was fantastic – a true show." After a life in the limelight, Birkin admits that all three of her daughters (photographer Kate Barry, singer Charlotte Gainsbourg and actress Lou Doillon), shun the paparazzi flashbulbs. "They are ferocious about their privacy – they learned how not to be from me," she says. "If I can take credit for anything it is that they, and my four grandchildren, all get along so well together. I'm proud of the fact that if I left tomorrow the brood would all be alright together." Her parting shot? An essential piece of style advice: "I absolutely never wear socks," she says. "I hate the terrible mark they leave around the ankle. I would rather die than be wearing socks when the accident happens." (September 5 2006, AM)

10-09-2006
V.I.P.

PollyM thanks for the pics and the article

why people and in the articles still call her "french singer" or french "actress" she's not french!

19-09-2006
V.I.P.

OMG! PollyM you are fantastic! What a beautiful pics!!!

02-10-2006
fashion insider

i saw my first jane birkin film a few weeks ago calles "BLOW-UP", great film eventhough she was in it for about 10 min. only but still a must see.

nice pics 1karina1, i don't think they have been posted befor.
i really like the 1st one

02-10-2006
trendsetter

i heart jane birkin. she is so cool, and her music is totally fab!

21-10-2006
front row

Credit: lamodeannees60.70.free.fr

21-10-2006
earthbound

Thank you so much, PollyM! I love seeing high quality pictures of her in the 60's.

21-10-2006
V.I.P.

I wish she didn't look so much like my cousin Barbara...I feel like a prev...!!! (Of course, growing up with a girl like that isn't a totally bad thing!!!)

But she is really a classic 60s babe!! Fringe, long legs, miniskirts...!!

21-10-2006
earthbound

It's funny that she thought her style and makeup were so over-the-top back in the 60's. She can be absolutely beautiful with or without makeup.

07-11-2006
V.I.P.

so sorry about any reposts...i think i'm familiar with the thread but you never know...:p

[screeshot from youtube.com]

07-11-2006
V.I.P.

[screenshot from youtube.com]

11-11-2006
backstage pass

three last pictures .... amazing. I almost forgot how gorg she looked.

13-11-2006
front row

Lot of incredible pics : http://frandall3.free.fr/birkin/birkin.html

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, birkin, december, jane, november