How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

11-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyM
polly, that interview just made my day..or my morning!
it was lovely, it's so good to see her talking about really important issues without sounding like a saviour-wannabe or whatever..and also, so sweet the way she talks about charlotte and serge..and argentina.
thankyouthankyouthankyou!

11-08-2005
a dim capacity for wings

thank you, polly, those from italian vogue are
oh, mullet!!! can you share some of the things she said?
i feel illiterate

12-08-2005
V.I.P.

well..this took me a couple hours :p
it's not the entire interview as it's too long and too weird, i tried to translate it as accurate as possible but i'm sure the Argentinian couldn't translate it properly or something..or maybe Jane speaks that way..
oh..and sorry about typos

[...]
"I came to meet Charlotte. havent seen her in 3 months. I was in London doing Hamlet for two months and then i went to Cuba for another three months to shot Vagabonds des Mer du Sud. I left my bulldog Dora there'.

was that your first trip to Cuba?

yes, and i never went out of Barracuda. i didnt have the script so i had to learn it there. and then Geraldine Chaplin arrived to play the role of Stevenson's mother. Barracuda was a very poor place. i was able to play with the kids. i'd stuck toys in my sweater, acting like i was pregnant. and they'd do the same. they didnt want anything, it wasnt about selling bananas, they'd just hail at me. that's why i want to go back. when a man in barracuda paid for my medical care because i didnt have the currency...it was so kind. it taught me to be decent. you learn from the poor, they teach us how to act.

i imagine that wasnt your first trip to a communist country...

no, i went to Russia. i cant go to Russia now because i support the Chechens. i wouldnt be well received by Putin. i'll see if i can go to Ukraine and sing there, where serge's parents are from. fortunately, it doesnt belong to Russia anymore. before i have to try to go back to Turkey. I'd rather go with the tanks in sarajevo.

Jane leaves monday 6. "i had the fascinating idea of: 'i'm gonna miss one day. which day? the six. which is okay because that's the day my mother died, i like to miss that day, and then I sing in Sidney on the 8th."

too surrealist, the world's strange. Charlotte is shooting an Italian movie that happens the US, and she's doing it in Buenos Aires. "I was intrigued to come. I've heard fascinating stories of Buenos Aires. i couldnt come on tour cause there wasnt a theater available for us. such a shame, i always thought of Buenos Aires for its writers, literature, intellectuals". perfect excuse.

Some time in 2006, she'll do 'Boxes', as a director. The movie will be about a mother, her daughter and three grandaughters. "the father was already a ghost. I'm hoping to see Gena Rowlands in Paris. I dont want to play the daughter. it's gonna be a difficult casting. but in the middle, i'll make another movie with jacques rivette". the story will be about someone in charge of a Circus. she's also been called to do Electra in the national theater. "i felt totally flattered and i said yes. now i think, i wish i had say no. because i think it'd be easy to do electra for a few months, but now, i'm sad with my mother's death. but i'm lucky, i'm 57. last night, i even got a call to sing in a cabaret. here.".

one inconvenient: her drummer, the arab Jamal Aziz. "we cant do anything without Aziz. In the US, someone from the customs stopped him and we had to find someone from New Jersey to do the show". she's played with the band in Paris, in Le Chatelet, in beautiful lyrical theaters, and in festivals.. with 25,000 people in Turkey. but also in nightclubs. "it's always fun",she says.

[....]

as a tourist, she went to antiques shop in San Telmo "..to see some things for Charlotte's birthday. and two men with mustaches approached me with two records of je t'aime, moi non plus and i told him 'i'll sign them for you and you'll double the price'. they didnt know. how weird. then i went to the hair dressed to have my curls done cause i knew they'd photograph me and i found my neighbour from Paris. "i just saw a portrait of Dora", she said "Segui is a good friend of mine, he lives in paris, you find him in rue jacob". it's just too much. she knows that man..but to find her in the salon.."

would you like to come next year again and sing something here?

if i do that, it'll have to be this year. interest and curiousity on serge is something very recent, there's very young people like Johnny Depp saying, "Gainsbourg is my favorite author". Serge would be pleased cause he likes cute boys. the idiots from the 60s cant understand. i jumped a generation. it doesnt matter if people understands french or not. it's like a magic carpet. i'd like to go to Siberia. i like to go to poor countries.

do you know what happened here 25 years ago?

yes but not too much. serge would fill up my mental lagoons with knowledge. but where was i?, i guess with serge. i wasnt always this person, i'd wake up at 6am, wait for the kids and then send them to bed. we had a fun and selfish life. and to live with such an exceptional man...yes, he had curiosity for men of different cultures in paris. we'd go to turkish & tranvesti nightclubs.

not too long ago she sang for the last time. "it was four months ago, i sang at the Chatelet for Serge's anniversary. we visited so many countries. it's the kind of tour we've been doing. i've done some crazy things. because economically, you win nothing.

the idea was to bring Serge's word to every place; as if he were living again. "performing arab music, in the US, just when Bush was being elected, it was exciting. "where are the camemberts?", i asked the crowd. I'm british, i sing in french, my orchestra is arab. and then the customs... it was always about Aziz, hands on the head..and treating him badly. i sent a letter to the New York Times. dont know if they publicized it".

Charlotte is her devotion. "she's as exquisite as Audrey Hepburn. that dignity, that type of people that just no longer exist. she's mysterious. if serge would see her here, he'd realize he was right: an unpolished diamond. i cant wait to see her as a clown. if there was a remake, she could do 'single's floor' (?). she'd need Jack Lemmon. her strangeness is beyong barriers.". just as her mother's.

Her daughter appeared in "my wife is an actress" and has just played Lemming, which opened the Cannes film festival. "Charlotte can do anything -she says, proudly- i realized this when she was around 12, when she did her first movie. she could do Shakespeare, Chejov. she would play Jane Eyre. there was a note in The new york times, the critic said it was like seeing calm water, you understand?, there's something below the surface. and thats why serge would call her 'unpolished diamond", and he was right. she's just right. always so careful. in this movie, the Golden Door, where people are real, she'll be magic. in 21 Grams, i wondered why she didnt make it to the end. why did she disappear? why this blonde girl [naomi watts]? where's charlotte? she was so convincing and true to herself. it's not about pleasing people. she's like serge"

she's not like you?..

no, she did Oleanne, which was a very dangerous play of David Marnet. the only play she did. and it felt so real that people wanted to kill her. i think she should be Joan of Arc, because she's dangerous. it's not about seducing people. i could see truth. and the other actor was fine but one would only stare at her. Charlotte gets IN the role. and i think she's happy there. with her own children, family, very reserved. it's her secret home. ...but when she's in a movie..." -drools the mother.

12-08-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof
it's not the entire interview as it's too long and too weird, i tried to translate it as accurate as possible but i'm sure the Argentinian couldn't translate it properly or something..or maybe Jane speaks that way..
Jane birkin has gotten more eccentric with age - which proberly explains why most her inverviews are a little weird

12-08-2005
Frozen irony.

Thanks so much for starting this thread

Her pics. are amazing such an inspiration, iconic in a way...

13-08-2005
a dim capacity for wings

you're welcome, pucci!

mullet, thank you so much! i didn't expect that at all
lovely, how she talks about her daughter ... so proud ... touching.

19-08-2005
tfs star

Jane Birkin by Mary Russel, for Vogue in 1975 (UK Vogue site)

03-09-2005
backstage pass

she's so fabulous, one of my most inspirational style icons.

04-09-2005
tfs star

Gah, why is she so beautiful? Love love love her style.

Mulletproof, thanks SO much for that article!

04-09-2005
windowshopping

Some pics more

Serge Assier, Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg (1974)

04-09-2005
windowshopping

all from google

04-09-2005
a dim capacity for wings

lovely pictures, the one from vogue is so nice .....
thanks for posting

but please remember everyone that google is not the correct source ...
it's about who's hosting the images!

09-09-2005
rising star

Serge and Jane
source: www.zonalibre.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg janeserge.jpg (115.3 KB, 117 views)

09-09-2005
tfs star

She always was and she is such a stylish girl!

Loooooooooooooooooove this thread!

09-09-2005
etre soi-meme

once again, i adore Jane.. this last pic with Serge

thanks for all the FAB pics posted

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2004, 2010, birkin, december, jane, november