A Lasting Impression : The Influence of Classic Icons - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-07-2007
fashion insider

^ That's wonderful! I feel kind of useless in the thread but I just have to say thank you!

Ítre ton cygne noir

I simply cannot get over how beautiful this thread is. Right click + save has never been used this much.

29-07-2007
front row

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

The future is stupid

Dance Marathon
The Inspiration:
They Shoot Horses Don't They? The 1969 film starring Jane Fonda.
Gloria (Jane Fonda) is a young woman of the Depression. She has aged beyond her years and feels her life is hopeless, having been cheated and betrayed many times in her past. Fantasizing about movies, she sees herself as an actress and decides to head for Hollywood, having got the idea from a movie magazine while recuperating in the hospital from a suicide attempt which resulted from another unhappy love affair. Robert (Michael Sarrazin), a desperate Hollywood citizen unsuccessfully trying to become a director, never doubting that he'll eventually make it. Robert and Gloria meet and decide to enter a dance marathon, one of the crazies of the thirties. The grueling dancing takes its toll on Gloria's already weakened spirit, and she tells Robert that she'd be better off dead, that her life is hopeless - all the while acting cruel and bitter, alienating those around her, trying to convince him to shoot her and put her out of her misery. After all, they shoot horses, don't they?

The Inspiration...

image sources | ebay amazon tvguide & barewalls

The Inspired...

Vogue Italia March 1997
Models: Karen Elson, Amber Valletta, Naomi Campbell, Kristen McMenamy, Michelle Hicks, and Carolyn Murphy
Photographed by: Steven Meisel

image source | foto_decadent

29-07-2007
The future is stupid

29-07-2007
The future is stupid

29-07-2007
The future is stupid

Hollywood & Vine
The Inspiration: Jodi Foster as Iris in the 1976 film Taxi Driver
Set in early post-Vietnam Era New York City, the film stars Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle, a lonely, isolated taxi driver and Jodi Foster as the teenage prostitute he attempts to save.

The Inspiration...

image source | amazon & imdb

The Inspired...

W Magazine December 2004
Model:
Natalia Vodianova
Photographed by: Glen Luchford

image source | hfgl

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 09-07-2009 at 10:20 PM.
29-07-2007
boop

MMA you are on an absolute roll!! All of these are absolutely incredible! Thank you so much for sharing them with us all!!!

The future is stupid

^Thank You Luxx & everyone else who commented & gave me karma
I had fun doing it

Luxx is always my inspiration with her fabulous threads & I even remember that today is Sunday Luxx so I don't lose a day like last time you did this to me

29-07-2007
boop

Una Storia Rock
Inspiration: Debbie Harry
Bio: Deborah Ann Harry (born July 1, 1945, in Miami, Florida) is a Grammy-winning and Golden Globe-nominated musician most famous for being the lead singer for the punk rock/new wave band Blondie.
Photographer: Patric Shaw
Fashion Editor: Laura Ferrara
Models: Fanni Bostrom, Harry Kinkade, et. al

The Original:

The Inspired

Image Credit | Corbis & KoModa

boop

Continued:

I think this edit just completely gets Debbie Harry down to a tee. Fanni is the right model, Harry makes a great Chris Stein and the clothes, the settings the overall mood just scream Debbie. Its all very laid back almost punk glam - total only girl in a group of boys. Plus I think it stands well on its own - even if you didn't know who Debbie Harry was you'd still be able to tell this was about a 70s rock chick

Image Credit | Corbis & KoModa

Last edited by Luxx; 29-07-2007 at 11:50 PM.
30-07-2007
trendsetter

Love love love the sets of Debbie Harry and They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (and this thread entirely pretty much), such a brilliant thread

boop

Diva
Inspiration: Maria Callas
Bio: Maria Callas (December 2, 1923 – September 16, 1977) was an American born, Greek dramatic coloratura soprano and perhaps the best-known opera singer of the post-World War II period. She combined an impressive bel canto technique with great dramatic gifts. An extremely versatile singer, her repertoire ranged from classical opera seria to the bel canto operas of Donizetti, Bellini, and Rossini, and further, to the works of Verdi and Puccini, and in her early career, the music dramas of Wagner. Her remarkable musical and dramatic talents led to her being hailed La Divina.
Photographer: Miles Aldridge
Model: Sasha Pivovarova

The Original:

The Inspired

I think this edit is really just a testament to what a great model Sasha is. In real life she looks nothing like Callas but in this editorial she's amazing. Take a look at her screaming portrait and the picture of Callas shouting down federal agents. The resemblance is uncanny. I love the styling on this shoot as well - they've gotten it all down; the red lips, the drawn brows, the very dramatic sensuality - that whole over the top decadent glamour that only a true diva can produce. I also think the colors of this shoot really help heighten that drama.

I don't think this post would be complete without some of Callas' music - such a beautiful voice.

Image Credit | Corbis.com, Maria Callas Fanclub, Foto_Decadent

Last edited by Luxx; 30-07-2007 at 12:46 AM.
30-07-2007
The future is stupid

^Luxx Thank You for both of those! I'd never seen that Debby Harry inspired edit & I think it's spot on. I remember I used to sing Heart of Glass with my hair brush as a microphoneAnd the Callas inspired is amazing too...that's always been a fave of mine...it was on my list to post but I decided to get some sleep

30-07-2007
The future is stupid

Jeune Fille
Inspiration: Sue Lyon in the 1962 film Lolita
Sue Lyon was fourteen years old when she filmed to the role of Dolores Haze, the sexually charged adolescent and the object of an older man's obsessions in Stanley Kubrick's 1962 film, Lolita. She was chosen for the role partly because her curvy figure suggested an appearance of an adult. Based on the Vladimir Nabokov novel of the same name, Kubrick's Lolita, although a toned-down version of the story, was nonetheless one of the most talked about films of its day. Only fifteen when the film premiered, Sue Lyon became an instant celebrity and won a Golden Globe Award for most promising newcomer - female. When Lolita was released in 1962, Sue Lyon went to a movie house to see her own picture, but she was not permitted to enter the theater because she was a minor.

The Original...

image source | amazon kubrickfilms & artnet

The Inspired...

Flair November 2005
Model: Vlada Roslyakova
Photographed by: Alexi Hay

image source | livejournal.modelcouture

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
classic, icons, impression, influence, lasting