How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-04-2009
V.I.P.

Maila Nurmi (Vampira)
I can not believe she does not have a thread yet.

google web finds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (43.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 02-05-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: removed uncredited pix

30-04-2009
V.I.P.

www.bloody-disgusting.com, shadowclad.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (45.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 26.jpg (26.0 KB, 5 views)

30-04-2009
V.I.P.

Call me a fan.

30-04-2009
Power to the 99%

jexxica, can you please credit the pix in your first post more specifically? (Google is not considered a credit ... everything on the web could probably be 'credited' that way ) I see one is from Getty ...

01-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
jexxica, can you please credit the pix in your first post more specifically? (Google is not considered a credit ... everything on the web could probably be 'credited' that way ) I see one is from Getty ...
I know, but I can't remember. That's why in the 2nd post I was more specific.

Sorry.

02-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ No problem ... I removed the ones without watermarks. If you come across them again, please feel free to repost with source

03-05-2009
backstage pass

I found some nice pics worthy of display.....blonde vampira- staleywise com.jpg

greatest pic ever - afermaledarcy blogspot com.jpg

young maila - flickr.com chaotic kittie666.jpg

some do - myspace com crabzillabangbang.jpg

miss ocean beach 1952 - flickr RCMerchant's photostream.jpg

crossed legs vagalmaila06 - tsutpen blogspot com.jpg Source: Pic 1- staleywise.com Pic 2 - afermalecarcy.blogspot.com Pic 3 - flickr.com/chaotickittie666 Pic 4 - myspace.com/crabzillabangbang Pic 5. flickr.com RCMerchant's Photostream Pic 6 - tsutpen.blogspot.com

03-05-2009
V.I.P.

Was Maila Nurmi her real name?

05-05-2009
backstage pass

I believe it is Alaine Maila Nurmi from what I gather.

05-05-2009
V.I.P.

What is her ancestry?

10-05-2009
V.I.P.

she was amazing!

10-05-2009
backstage pass

I believe she was from Finland! hamlet2 myspace index clm fuseaction blogspot com.jpg Source: myspace.com/index clm fuseaction.blogspot.com

10-05-2009
windowshopping

i'm not too familiar with her so if anyone has more information, i'd appreciate it.

10-05-2009
V.I.P.

She was Elvira before there was an Elvira. She was also friends with James Dean and was in an Ed Wood flick. Wikipedia her and you will find info.

15-05-2009
backstage pass

OK. Here's the scoop on Maila Nurmi. Her real name is Maila Elizabeth Syrjaniemi born in Petsamo, Finland which is now Pechenga, Russia. She came to the States when she was 2 & her family settled in Ashtabula, Ohio. She arrived in L.A. when she was 17. She modelled for Alberto Vargas, Bernard of Hollywood & Man Ray. She was reportedly fired by Mae West from the cast of West's Broadway play "Catherine Was Great" in 1944 as Mae thought she was upstaging her. She garnered a lot of attention when she appeared onstage in a horror themed shoe "Spook Scandals". Also, she appeared onstage as a chorus girl along with famous stripper Lili St. Cyr. In the 50's, she mostly posed for Men's magazines for her bread & butter before landing her Vampira gig. How did the idea for the character come into being? She got invited to this annaul masquerade party and modelled it after a Charles Addams character in the New Yorker. TV producer Hunt Stomberg saw her & later tried to contact her. He found her eventually through (of all people) Rudi Gernrich (soon to be designer of the famous topless bathing suit fame). Maila's hubby, Dean Riesner, invented the name. Dean's claim to fame was a child actor in silent films. Later he became a screenwriter for such films as "Dirty Harry", "Charley Varrick" & "Play Misty For Me". Nurmi was acquainted with Marilyn Monroe & Elvis Presley. She dated Orson Welles for a while. She was very good friends with James Dean. She explained their friendship by saying,"We share the same neurosis." In June of 1955 - Maila was the victim of an attemped murder(!) when a man forced his way into her apartment & proceeded to terrorize her for about 4 hours. She managed to escape & call the cops. On a dietary note - she kept her svelte figure by eating only boiled eggs, orange juice & graham crackers. She measured 38"bust -17" waist (madness!) 36" hips. By 1962, she was installing linoleum flooring & she also was proficient in carpentry, furniture refinishing, etc. Later she made a living autographing memorabilia & selling original art work on ebay. She died in 2008 of natural causes. She was 85 years old.maila nurmi PlanNine_07 - wickpedia.jpg Source: Movie - Plan 9 From Outerspace - Directed by Ed Wood - wikpedia.org

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
maila, nurmi, vampira