How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2008
V.I.P.

ebay

24-04-2008
rising star

Alicia753, thank you for taking the trouble to bring us up-to-date with the trajectory of Margaux Hemingway' career and the beautiful pictures you post. It is so strange how some actresses "have it", and yet are not given a chance, are passed over, and they cannot or are not allowed to recapture their magic. Yet, Margaux is a haunting figure. All you have to do is look at her eyes, and you see such an abyss of feeling there, it is almost too much to bear. I saw the movie Lipstick when it came out and although I don't remember the details, I remember Margaux's performance. So how could her performance have been panned as it was if it leaves such an indestructible impression ?

On one of the pictures in your post 153, where she is posing in the water, her breasts half-exposed, looking at the viewer, isn't that a kind of cliche photograph ? I think Grace Kelly's picture on the cover of one of her biographies is a similar (much more modest of course) one, and I think there is one of Nasstasja Kinski like that too, and I think Emmanuelle Beart, Romy Scneider and probably dozens of others. It would be kind of fun to put them all together and make comparisons. At any rate, Margaux looks positively dangerous in this particular one, like a creature of the sea about to bite you. I don't mean it in a negative way: I mean she had a lot of personality and was no ordinary sex kitten. That mixture of strength (which is also physical strength, she was no waif) and vulnerability is fascinating because it works. I think any element of tension such as this is what captivates an audience and because of her physique, she had it. So add that inner anguish to that strong physique, and it creates the fascination.

What a loss ! Everytime I come to this site, I mourn her loss. No one has taken her place. Even, say, an Angelina Jolie, who is (or was) strong looking, plus had that look of anguish, always looked too glamorous. Margaux was from the country and it showed. She could have played some of the best literary characters who are rooted in the country. Charleze Theron in Monster, almost looked like she was trying out a Margaux character, but it was overly crafted in my opinion. The only actress who reminds me of Margaux, just a little bit, is Sissy Spacek, except that Sissy Spacek is fairly frail-looking and there her intensity is in contrast with her frailty.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on that way, just thank you for all your beautiful and interesting posts.

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
Alicia753, thank you for taking the trouble to bring us up-to-date with the trajectory of Margaux Hemingway' career and the beautiful pictures you post. It is so strange how some actresses "have it", and yet are not given a chance, are passed over, and they cannot or are not allowed to recapture their magic. Yet, Margaux is a haunting figure. All you have to do is look at her eyes, and you see such an abyss of feeling there, it is almost too much to bear. I saw the movie Lipstick when it came out and although I don't remember the details, I remember Margaux's performance. So how could her performance have been panned as it was if it leaves such an indestructible impression ?

On one of the pictures in your post 153, where she is posing in the water, her breasts half-exposed, looking at the viewer, isn't that a kind of cliche photograph ? I think Grace Kelly's picture on the cover of one of her biographies is a similar (much more modest of course) one, and I think there is one of Nasstasja Kinski like that too, and I think Emmanuelle Beart, Romy Scneider and probably dozens of others. It would be kind of fun to put them all together and make comparisons. At any rate, Margaux looks positively dangerous in this particular one, like a creature of the sea about to bite you. I don't mean it in a negative way: I mean she had a lot of personality and was no ordinary sex kitten. That mixture of strength (which is also physical strength, she was no waif) and vulnerability is fascinating because it works. I think any element of tension such as this is what captivates an audience and because of her physique, she had it. So add that inner anguish to that strong physique, and it creates the fascination.

What a loss ! Everytime I come to this site, I mourn her loss. No one has taken her place. Even, say, an Angelina Jolie, who is (or was) strong looking, plus had that look of anguish, always looked too glamorous. Margaux was from the country and it showed. She could have played some of the best literary characters who are rooted in the country. Charleze Theron in Monster, almost looked like she was trying out a Margaux character, but it was overly crafted in my opinion. The only actress who reminds me of Margaux, just a little bit, is Sissy Spacek, except that Sissy Spacek is fairly frail-looking and there her intensity is in contrast with her frailty.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ramble on that way, just thank you for all your beautiful and interesting posts.
Thank you for your beautiful answer, Jeanne

Nice idea of pictures comparison I'll try to search photos.

Some finds from ebay:

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

ebay

25-04-2008
V.I.P.

ebay

26-04-2008
rising star

Alicia753, in your post 168, (your response to me), that picture you added, she reminds me of Jeanne Moreau. How can an actress who can remind you of the most established, revered stars have been so easily discounted as a lightweight ? I just don't get it. Maybe because she started out as a model ? (I think it is harder for them to be taken seriously. But Faye Dunaway, (whose early movies I love) for one, earned her credibitliy. Maybe Margaux just was not given enough time. It may be also be who the director is. I can just picture her in Bergman's Persona, playing the role Liv Ullman (who of course is wonderful) had. Any thoughts on the subject ?

27-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
Alicia753, in your post 168, (your response to me), that picture you added, she reminds me of Jeanne Moreau. How can an actress who can remind you of the most established, revered stars have been so easily discounted as a lightweight ? I just don't get it. Maybe because she started out as a model ? (I think it is harder for them to be taken seriously. But Faye Dunaway, (whose early movies I love) for one, earned her credibitliy. Maybe Margaux just was not given enough time. It may be also be who the director is. I can just picture her in Bergman's Persona, playing the role Liv Ullman (who of course is wonderful) had. Any thoughts on the subject ?
I can easily understand your thoughts Jeanne.
I'm seriously persuaded that Margaux could have been a great actress, perhaps not all the time, but at least the time of one role, one character which would have revealed all the hidden strengh of Margaux's persona...

I wish she'd be directed by such great directors as Hitchcock, Visconti, W.Allen, Fassbinder (she reminds me 'The secret of Veronica Voss'), Kubrick or as you said Ingmar Bergman. I agree with you, IMO, she has the complexity and the deep ambiguity for playing in Persona, which is entirely based on the confusion of identity and also the major theme in Bergman's works of the human duality and so on...

Ebay:

28-04-2008
V.I.P.

ullsteinbild.de
http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=1

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...e_num=1&page=2

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=3

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=4

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=5

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=6

http://www.ullsteinbild.de/preview.p...caller=&page=7

It's incredible how the suffering she has endured during her whole life was in some way, 'written' on her face throughout the years...

This fact gave a kind of 'soul' to her beauty...

28-04-2008
rising star

I totally agree with you, alicia 753. I've been thinking about what you said, about her needing to have a role or a director that can bring the best out of her. Fassbinder is indeed a good choice. It's kind of a morbid thought, since both are dead, but if one could reverse time...

I thought also of Farrah Fawcet Majors, who was only considered a Charlie's Angels chick until she made "The Burning Bed", where again the director, the story, showed she could be a gripping actress.

I collect vignettes, iconic pictures of actresses, and wondered if there'd be room on this website to display them, but I don't know where. Any ideas, from anyone, would be welcome. You can play a kind of Trivial Pursuit or parlor game with them, and I use them sometimes in my language/culture classes to get people to talk . The reactions can be quite interesting in terms of what these iconic pictures say about women, how they are portrayed through decades of films (or period movies of course). For example:

- the close-up of an actress driving a car : who is she ? who is the director ? what's the film ? where does it take place ? How do you know ? What do you think her emotions are ? Build a story around it. (For example : Grace Kelly , in To Catch a Thief)
- the close-up of a woman wearing a scarf, or a scarf and dark sunglasses
- the close-up of a woman by a window
- a woman sitting on a bed; or in a bedroom wearing a slip; or on the bed putting on her stockings : you'd be surprised at the change between Elizabeth Taylor in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and Catherine Deneuve in "Belle de Jour", or Romy Schneider in I forget what film: the body language, the expressions are so different. By the time Romy Schneider comes around, you can tell the feminist revolution has been by.

Anyway, to go back to Margaux, she was very modern, and even though she certainly didn't look European (I talked about European sixties actresses in another thread), I think European directors would have loved her.

In some of the pictures you have posted, she looks so much like her younger sister Mariel. But I don't know if Mariel can project that force; she is very good, but she's different. She has that combination of "little girl" and "intellectual" that can be quite endearing. Margaux is very raw by comparison, which is paradoxical because she was so used to always being so made up for the model shoots. It's as if those model shoots really hid what was inside and begged to come out, and all that paint, metaphorically speaking, suffocated her in the end. She was frozen, mummified, reduced to an image by all that gloss. How ironic that it seems to be actresses' ambitions now to be botoxed out of human recognition.

28-04-2008
V.I.P.

alamy
http://www.alamy.com/image-details-p...id%3D%26cdn%3D

http://www.alamy.com/image-details-p...id%3D%26cdn%3D

01-05-2008
V.I.P.

bp1.blogger.com/.../Ebay_Margaux_Hemingway.jpg

01-05-2008
V.I.P.

gatochy.blogspot.com/2006/11/fashion-icons-

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...howCemPhotos=Y&