How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-09-2008
trendsetter

somnambule, I quite liked what you wrote about Olivia and The Snake Pit! I had no idea there was so much behind that movie, sounds very intriguing. And thanks for the lovely scan!

greenbriarpictureshows

12-09-2008
backstage pass

wow,you two always come up with the most delicious eyecandies...i guess iīm just too lazy to search.iīll try to repost the article i posted on the first page of this thread.this time in a way that itīs readable for you.i donīt know if iīll succeed becuase iīve only got one site where i can put my pictures online and they seize them down immensly...letīs see...so,okay,i literally had to cut the whole article into pieces.looks like a load of old tissues now,but i guess at least it is readable without the use of a magnifying glass.
source:silver screen february 1937

-emily bronte-

Last edited by somnambule; 12-09-2008 at 10:36 AM.
15-09-2008
trendsetter

Aww, what a great article, thanks for sharing! She sounds perfectly darling. "There is a flow of warmth about her" - indeed!

Olivia and Henry Fonda, too cute

eBay

trendsetter

In her debut movie, A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935) - only a teenager here

Source: my screencaps

backstage pass

^ Oh, how beautiful she was there. Good screencaps, thank you

ebay

02-10-2008
trendsetter

eBay

trendsetter

Apparently Olivia's acting debut was as the title character in a 1933 stage production of Alice in Wonderland. Looks like she signed this photo "to you, from me, Alice" - so cute!!

flickr

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
I hated her character in gone with the wind when i was younger. I loved Scarlett's lively spirit and hated Melanie's sickening sweetness. While i've never seen any of her movies (The Heiress sounds good though!) because of her Melanie role I thought of her as a peace keeper goodie-two-shoes type. So i was very surprised to read that she hated her sister and they had a really bad relationship.
ugh her charecter in the movie & book is soooooooo annoying.
heehee.

Relations between de Havilland and younger sister Joan Fontaine were never all that strong and worsened in 1941, when both were nominated for 'Best Actress' Oscar awards. Their mutual dislike and jealousy escalated into an all-out feud after Fontaine won for Suspicion (1941). Despite the fact that de Havilland went on to win two Academy Awards of her own, they remained permanently estranged.

(imdb) sounds uncomfortable

oh and another suprise for me was that she turned down the role of Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire wich went to Vivien after her.
Vivien was perfect for the movie and did wonderful job but it would have been kinda fun to see how Olivia would have done it!

Lost her son Benjamin to Hodgkin's disease in 1991, shortly before Benjamin's father, writer Marcus Goodrich, passed away.

(imdb) it seems like every old time movie star had tragic life!

I have to see some movies she has done, because only thing I remember her is being annoying in GWTW.
heehee
Vivien and Clark just were the stars

Last edited by Jenna-maria; 10-10-2008 at 12:43 PM.
25-11-2008
lady of the flowers

thecc.

14-01-2009
trendsetter

^ Thanks for those RoseMary, so lovely!

Here is what I believe to be a recent-ish photo of Olivia's daughter Giselle!

gwtwmemories.com

front row

Such a lovely beauty!
I know it's probably a cliche...but I just loved her as Melanie in Gone with the Wind; just a terrific performance!

05-03-2009
backstage pass

love the alice in wonderland picture,thanks nel !!!
meanwhile i noticed a great mistake i made-these are the lingual traps in which you get rather unvoluntarily when youīre not expressing yourself in your mother tongue....meanwhile i noticed that lunatic asylum has a rather bad connotation nowadays.i didnīt have any mean or bad connotation in my mind when i wrote it.i just thought that the word was used in english to describe a mental hospital,but i didnīt know that itīs a word that expresses a certain contempt and ridicule.sorry,that wasnīt what i wanted to imply at all.
meanwhile i watched the heiress and besides the fact that monty looks like a greek god i was absolutely in awe regarding her performance.how she managed the transition from a good-hearted,trusting,innocent and loving being to that hardened,unsentimental woman-thatīs just amazing.meanwhile i really think that she was one of the most talented actresses of her time and i totally understand why she was one of miss monroeīs fav actresses.and she had the courage only few actresses had especially back then,to show herself bare,without glitter,glamour and make-up.i can only think of bette davis and barbara stanwyck right now who demonstrated the same courage.

scans from :picture show annual 1950

deep psycholigical insight :

-emily bronte-
07-03-2009
backstage pass

I agree with you, somnambule, The Heiress is such a great film, and Olivia did a superb performance there.

In "They died with their boots on":

With her good friend Bette Davis and Leslie Howard in the delicious little comedy "It's love I'm after":

ebay

Last edited by -lucyinthesky-; 07-03-2009 at 07:50 PM.
08-03-2009
backstage pass

being a close friend of bette is an achievement too !!!i once saw a documentary on bette.she was guest in a show and suddenly they announced a special gúest as a surprise for her:it was olivia.bette was really moved and glad to see her and they embraced each other.olivia though aged had still the same warm smile and beaming eyes.it was cute to see them togehter.bette davis was certainly not the type of person who got along with evrybody...to say the least (i love bette though)!!

in devotion...a film i havenīt seen yet

kinostars-engelmeier (scanned by me)

-emily bronte-
08-03-2009
tfs star

A lot of fabulous pics of Olivia. She is one of my all time favourite actress, i always loved the chemistry between herself and Errol Flynn. But then i think she was great when starring along side Bette Davis. Prefer Olivia to her sister Joan.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
havilland, olivia