How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-12-2005
far from home...

Marvelous thread

Thanks northernsky

I love all the pictures, especially the one with pauline chase and the eggshell pieces.

I'll try and post some pictures later...

12-12-2005
a dim capacity for wings

asta nielsen, thanks for the pictures, northernsky.

12-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna karina
asta Nielsen, thanks for the pictures, northernsky.
never seen Asta nielsen before but now i her tooo, thanx for the pics northernsky

trendsetter

i see interest. i'm glad.

yeah, asta nielsen was great indeed. her career was pretty much over in 1925 when she played in "die freudlose gasse" next to greta garbo. she was the star of the film but it was obvious that garbo represented a new ideal of beauty.

lily elsie. (1886-1962) one of my favourite dressers of edwardian time so far.

[all pictures from www.lily-elsie.com]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lily elsie (lily-elsie.com)2.jpg (18.5 KB, 6 views)

12-12-2005
trendsetter

some more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lily elsie.jpg (23.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg le-079.jpg (12.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg lily elsie2.jpg (33.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg le-237.jpg (25.7 KB, 6 views)

12-12-2005
trendsetter

some more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg le-082.jpg (14.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg le-110.jpg (20.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg le-054.jpg (19.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg le-198.jpg (23.1 KB, 7 views)

12-12-2005
trendsetter

some more....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg le-219.jpg (15.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg le-150.jpg (18.9 KB, 3 views)

12-12-2005
trendsetter

Miss Lily Elsie made her name on the opening night of The Merry Widow, in London, on 8th June 1907. Overnight she had the town at her feet. On the stage Elsie seemed mysteriously beautiful with her perfect Grecian profile, enormous blue eyes, and hauntingly sad smile. Tall, cool, and lily-like, she moved with lyrical gestures in a slow-motion grace.

She was a true 'star' of Edwardian times, although the word was yet to be used in that context. Magazines produced special supplements about her, adverts featured her picture.

Although her fame and fortune came entirely from public appearances she was painfully shy. After just a few years on the stage she retired to a quite life away from the public eye. She did however leave us with hundreds of pictures, a few gramophone discs, and two films, to remember her by. [www.lily-elsie.com]

and a last pair of pictures [from www.raywoodmore.com]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lily elsie2 (www.raywoodmore.com).jpg (32.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg lily elsie (raywoodmore.com).jpg (23.2 KB, 4 views)

14-12-2005
far from home...

I'm finally ready to post

Marie Doro

From wikipedia.org:

Quote:
Marie Doro (May 25, 1882 - October 9, 1956) was a popular American film actress of the early silent film era of the 1910s through the early 1920s.

Marie Doro was born Marie Katherine Steward in Duncannon, Pennsylvania, USA and began her career as a theater actress before transitioning to the new medium of motion pictures in 1915 under contract with film producer Adolph Zukor. Doro's film debut for Zukor's Famous Players studio was the starring role in the now lost short film The Morals of Marcus in 1915. The following year she played the lead in the first film version of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, a role she previously played with much acclaim on stage in 1912. Throughought the 1910s, Doro remained a highly respected and popular leading lady. Unfortunately, most of her earliest screen appearances are now lost and have not been viewed for nearly one hundred years. One surviving film, Lost and Won from 1915 in which Doro convincingly portrays a young girl, shows her to have been a charming actress with a remarkably natural acting style for the era.

Marie Doro was briefly married to vaudeville and silent screen actor Elliot Dexter. The union did not last long however, and the couple soon divorced. The union spawned no offspring and Doro never remarried.

Although still a very much a popular leading lady, by the early 1920s Marie Doro became increasingly disillusioned with Hollywood and her acting career. She became reclusive and drawn to sprirtual matters and after moving to New York City even briefly studied at the Union Theological Seminary. In 1924 Doro made her last American film appearance, playing the title character in Sally Bishop and briefly relocated to Europe where she made several more films in Italy. After returning to the United States of America, Marie Doro spent the rest of her life in seclusion. In 1956 she died of heart failure in New York City, New York, allocating $90,000 dollars in her will to the Actor's Fund. Marie Doro was laid to rest at the Duncannon Cemetery in Duncannon, Perry County, Pennsylvania.

For her contribution to the motion picture industry, Marie Doro was awarded a star on the legendary Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1725 Vine Street in Hollywood, California, USA.
In The Wood Nymph (1916)

doctormacro.com

17-12-2005
trendsetter

^

lovely alice joyce.

[from www.goldenageautographs.com and unsung divas of the silent screen.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alice joyce (de groat).jpg (29.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alicejoyce (goldenageautographs).jpg (30.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by northernsky; 17-12-2005 at 02:27 PM.
20-12-2005
Been things & seen places

Love these
Lily Elsie is so divine

07-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky
beautiful edwardian actress pauline chase.

[the picture is taken from www.users.waitrose.com)

she was incredibely gorgeous

07-01-2006
tfs star

No offense to anyone in this thread, but I'm shocked that most of these women were ever considered beautiful. Their faces are so manly and plump by today's standards. It's amazing how much beauty ideals have changed over the decades.

10-01-2006
trendsetter

i can see what you probably mean by plump, but manly?!

asta nielsen was quite an androgynous type of woman but she really stood out in the 1910s. she was the one.

i just watched "hamlet" and i was overwhelmed by her performance as hamlet (who was a girl but was raised as a boy because her mother declared to have given birth to a boy to make the people believe there was a heir to the throne after everyone thought the king fell in a battle, and they couldn't reveal that lie after the king's return home..) asta nielsen made this film -based on such a stupid plot idea more than worth watching.

10-01-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsky
i can see what you probably mean by plump, but manly?!

asta nielsen was quite an androgynous type of woman but she really stood out in the 1910s. she was the one.

i just watched "hamlet" and i was overwhelmed by her performance as hamlet (who was a girl but was raised as a boy because her mother declared to have given birth to a boy to make the people believe there was a heir to the throne after everyone thought the king fell in a battle, and they couldn't reveal that lie after the king's return home..) asta nielsen made this film -based on such a stupid plot idea more than worth watching.
Maybe matronly would be a better word?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1920s, actresses, pre