How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2009
tfs star

^ Haha love that pic.

Sorry, can't help you out at Rex.

23-03-2009
V.I.P.

^ No probs.

Heads up for everyone, this is one of the most full River picture sites I've come across:

http://ellensplayground.com/myriverphoenixcollection/

Really great.

V.I.P.

Just a few little warnings:

1. Do not post pictures from ellensplayground here. I'm sure you're all talented enough that you can read, but it doesn't harm for me to mention it again in case anyone has missed the messages on page. The site does have an amazing photo collection though, so really do visit.

2. The journey that this site takes you on with it's full chronology of photos and accompaning quotes is both moving and saddening. I'll admit, I had a little sob over some of it ( mostly in the Oct. 31st, 1993 section). So, if you're sensitive and prefer to hail River's life and not death, I recommend you skim over some of the death related quotes!

That's all! Here's another few River shots just so this post wasn't totally ranty and stupid ( I believe the 2nd picture here is of River and Flea, but please correct me if I'm wrong):

Various myspace pages relating to River ( They all link to each other via a River myspace search.) xx

backstage pass

wow it just occured to me
he looks like jack white
strange!!
jack white could play him in a film

(picture for reference)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackwhite.jpg (16.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by angelfish; 23-03-2009 at 07:31 PM.
23-03-2009
rising star

I don't really see it

24-03-2009
V.I.P.

^ Jack maybe looks like a very creepy version of River. I mean, River was gorgeous... Jack not so much. Sorry if that's mean. I'm not saying Jack is ugly, because he's not. He's just not River Phoenix good-looking!

There are similarities though.

Also, Angelfish, you'll need to give a source for that picture. It's TFS rules. xxXxx

Last edited by Stamoholic; 24-03-2009 at 04:24 AM.
25-03-2009
backstage pass

oh, woops!
http://www.festivalcrashers.com/wordpress/?m=200811 = source

and yes stamaholic i completely agree, he is the grungy, creepy rockstar version of River

V.I.P.

^ Ha ha! Yeah! Jack could maybe be like River on a bad day dressed up as Alex DeLarge for Halloween or something!

I can imagine River would really like Jack's music though. I dunno why. I could be way off, but if you listen to River's playing and the music he did with the band, I dunno, I just feel like had he lived he might have liked a lot of Jack's sound.

V.I.P.

A rare shot of River playing his guitar (included a tiny picture I found early this year as well. Obviously they are from the same event):

River Phoenix facebook page + River Phoenix fans Myspace page.

Also, this is apparently River's last photograph ( exluding that horrendous, exploitive death shot, obviously, but that's not River - only his body):

River Phoenix facebook page

V.I.P.

Some amazing River HQ's:

http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...tart=0&ndsp=18

doldrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamoholic View Post
On another note, I've always found it interesting that Kurt Cobain disliked the young Hollywood scene that worshiped him so much ( he had a famous run in with Keanu, apparently, and called him a faker) and yet Cobain dedicated a performance of " Jesus Don't Want Me For A Sunbeam" to River shortly after River's death ( and only a few months before Cobains, rip.)

I dunno, but to me this has always kinda suggested that River really wasn't like the rest of Hollywood. I doubt Cobain would have dedicated a preformance to him if he had been, especially since the dedication happened right towards the end of Nivana ( last tour) and Kurt was pretty jaded by then...
I always saw some kind of similarity between River and Kurt. They were both catapulted into the limelight and surrounded by fame and fortune and died at their peak. They were more like anti-Hollywood. Johnny Depp is also like this. He's a huge star and with a a-list status yet never seemed like Hollywood actor. When I think of Hollywood it's Brad, Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Johnny Depp is just as huge as them. He's very unlike Brad, Tom and Will.

Last edited by silk skin paws; 30-07-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
30-07-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silk skin paws View Post
I always saw some kind of similarity between River and Kurt. They were both catapulted into the limelight and surrounded by fame and fortune and died at their peak. They were more like anti-Hollywood. Johnny Depp is also like this. He's a huge star and with a a-list status yet never seemed like Hollywood actor. When I think of Hollywood it's Brad, Tom Cruise, Will Smith and Johnny Depp is just as huge as them. He's very unlike Brad, Tom and Will.
I wonder if Kurt really said that about Keanu? (not that it really matters, his character judgement isn't the standard I hold for people. Just cause Kurt says it doesn't make me believe it) Keanu and River were very much alike, it was said by people who knew them both, including Gus Van Sant and Sandra Bullock. River said Keanu was like his older brother, if he was such a faker I highly doubt that River would bother saying that. Plus both of them were known for not really hanging out with the other "young hollywood crowd" at that time.

Keanu is also very down to earth, more so than Depp IMO, who has really pushed this image of himself out there, and despite popular opinion, seems really affected to me. For not caring about the Hollywood image Depp sure does mention it quite a bit. KR always kept his head down and worked. He has never paraded his girlfriends around in photoshoots or needed to prove how bothered he is by fame by buying a private island, and then claiming to do so in order "feel normal". Despite his megastar fame he still moved through the world and stayed simple in comparison to his peers (owning a moderate house by Hollywood standards and still driving a 13 year old car). He's never pretentious and doesn't act above it all. He stays true to his word when he says he wants to keep his private life private and that's that. He doesn't make a big deal about it. I feel like he doesn't get enough credit, ironically enough, because he is so successful at shutting down the press that he has really managed to stay out of the limelight.

Last edited by Gincat; 30-07-2009 at 09:58 AM.
30-07-2009
V.I.P.

This is completely random but I thought it was interesting. I can't imagine owning such a thing, just to see it would be something

A guitar once owned by River Phoenix is up for auction at the Christies Pop Culture auction on June 22, 2009

skynews.com

30-07-2009
a hymn to darkness

I had no clue this thread existed!

Mr. Phoenix was truly exceptional in every way...
So gorgeous, soulful, talented, and spirited...
One of the only celeb deaths that truly resonated w/i me...

2rpz3gi.jpg
source: river-phoenix.org

Such a beauty....

lady of the flowers

moved to icons from the past...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
phoenix, river