How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-12-2009
rising star

Beautiful posts, Eire! I'd give you karma, but they won't let me.

15-12-2009
front row

Another scan of mine

front row

Another 2 scans of mine and some screencaps I took from the movie Running On Empty.

Riot Bug

Awww River...

River Phoenix singing lone star state of mind by him

Funny moments with River Phoenix

"My Own Private Idaho" trailer

V.I.P.

Thanks for the pictures, Eire. It's great to have someone posting young pictures of River, because I have to admit I usually just post pics of him ages 20-23! Thanks xx

Riot Bug

From My Own Private Idaho by Gus Van Sant

reverseshot.com

V.I.P.

^^He was his most beautiful in that movie. But I'm biased because I just LOVE TO DEATH that performance he gives as Mike.

20-12-2009
rising star

That's my favorite River role/look, too. He was so beautiful and heartbreaking as Mike Waters. The campfire scene gets me every time, and it's only more impressive the more you find out about how deeply involved he was in creating/writing the scene, and contributing to Mike's characterization in general. To do what he did with that role took a lot of courage and a lot of heart, a combination of qualities that is partly what I love about River as both an actor, and a person.... Aww, River.

Screenshots from http://www.river-phoenix.ru/ , behind the scenes of MOPI:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mopishcc222_20080214_1885392934.jpg (43.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg mopishcc26_20080214_1996813268.jpg (70.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg mopishcc25_20080214_1981859366.jpg (71.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg mopishcc21_20080214_1396901648.jpg (53.7 KB, 15 views)

01-02-2010
front row

My scans from the book The River Phoenix Album by Penelope Dening.

earthbound

Thank you Eire!

You can almost sense from the photos that he didn't enjoy that part of being a celebrity (being styled and being told to pose for portraits) but he was so gosh darn naturally good looking the photos never seem flawed.

02-03-2010
V.I.P.

^ I remember reading an interview with River in which he basically uttered that sentiment, La Bordelique. He said he was embarrassed that he had ever been in magazines like Teen Beat, and that he thought the way they made him pose with his shirt off and suck in his cheeks and pout his lips was gross. I've got to agree.

I just watch MOPI and wonder about all the beautiful, wonderful incarnations of River as a mature actors that never happened... I wish they had.

LOVE

I love that b&w pic of him with the hat!

12-03-2010
earthbound

Quote:
GQ's The 50 Most Stylish Leading Men of the Past Half Century

[...]

River Phoenix

No antidote to the neon-and-Velcro-addled '80s quite like a T-shirt, a pair of jeans, and a good head of hair. The hippie-bred River Phoenix once recalled for The New York Times his earliest sartorial memories—"Rich kids gave us their old clothes, which were the best clothes we ever had"—and he never strayed too far from that threadbare, thrift-store path. Of course, he could dress for the occasion: his 1989 stroll down Oscar's red carpet wearing a fitted tuxedo and a pixieish young Martha Plimpton on his arm was a lesson in offhanded panache. But it was River in round wire-rimmed glasses, River with a stray lock of long matted hair falling across his face, River partying for PETA in an army-surplus fatigue jacket and anti-fur pin that paved the way for the moody grunge to come—like a Ziggy Stardust for the '90s, come to spread word of a better, cooler way before rocketing back up to the stars.
gq.com

24-03-2010
V.I.P.

^ I'm so glad they mentioned the lock of hair I've loved that lock since I was like 8 years old! Lol! Fantastic article. I'm sure River wouldn't have given a damn about being considered a fashion icon ( although of course he would probs have appreciated the sentiment), but it's still great to see the media remembering him in anyway way that isn't just, " That young good looking boy who died."

xx

earthbound

I absolutely ADORED when he had long blond hair... he didn't even need to make an effort to look cool.

Proof: when he dressed in a t-shirt and jeans at a Batman movie premiere.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
phoenix, river