How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2009
V.I.P.

Video of River playing with his band...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioekTtZfnuU

Last edited by Stamoholic; 24-02-2009 at 12:43 PM.

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

"ForeverRiver" Yahoo! group

tfs star

I had a huge crush on River when i was younger. I used to come home from school and put his movies on nearly everyday.

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

^ lol I still do that now when I find the time

did anyone seen him in Indiana Jones & the last crusade? He isn't in it for long but it's good

here's a behind the scenes/interview with him

[youtube]7f7fZrQzgQc[/youtube]

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

^ Yeah, the first time I ever saw River was in Indiana Jones.

I was a little kid and some station was showing clips of Indy on TV as part of this " Greatest Actors of All-Time" countdown. River was voted No. 13 ( I remember), and even though I was only a kid and had sat for hours watching this thing, I was totally captivated when he came on screen. Then when it mentioned that he was dead, and showed a clip of that black box, The Viper Room... it sort of disturbed me. I didn't understand. How could a teenage boy be dead? At my age, it just made no sense.

He was great in that movie though, really great! And he's really sweet and funny in that interview.

Last edited by Stamoholic; 25-02-2009 at 03:02 PM.
25-02-2009
V.I.P.

have you seen "the last 60 minutes - river phoenix"? it was heartbreaking...they played the emergency call from joaquin and it was really disturbing. such a shame he died, he was a great actor.

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

^ Yes, I saw that and if I could take back seeing it I would.

It was a HORRIBLE doc. I would recommend River fans DON'T watch it. It had some really interesting info, sure, but it basically m*sterb*tes over River's death and it's grotesque. It makes a circus-like spectacle out of the whole tragedy. The fact they actually played Joaquin's phone call was beyond disgusting, IMO.

I actually came away from watching that thing crying. It was a few years ago, but I still can't stand the thought of it!

Last edited by Stamoholic; 25-02-2009 at 03:10 PM.
25-02-2009
V.I.P.

life.com

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

it was especially disgusting to play it because joaquin was SO young back then...i feel bad for him as well, i can't imagine how horrifying it must be to see your own brother die on the sidewalk of a street

but just watched "my own private idaho" again...better memories

25-02-2009
V.I.P.

^ Much better memories!

Although if I remember correctly that documentary basically blamed " My Own Private Idaho" for River's you-know-what use and death. Perhaps that's true, but I remember at the time it came dangerously close to ruining MOPI for me, which is probably my favorite movie!

Aaaanyway, thanks M.J for posting the LIFE.com pictures. I love that one of him with Martha! They were such a gorgeously 90's couple!

V.I.P.

Two of my favorite River interviews:

Details magainse 1991

Chloe magazine 1992

Favorite quotes ( from interviews):

" Blowjobs... and music."

" Sure, you frogicidal maniac."

" I'd love to sing opposite Joni Mitchell in the Himalayas and record the slapback on DAT."

" And I love Bush. I love bush... literally!" ( LOL! Poor River. He might not have liked modern days, " bush" isn't very popular anymore )

aleka.org/phoenix/zines.htm

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamoholic View Post
Favorite quotes ( from interviews):

" And I love Bush. I love bush... literally!" ( LOL! Poor River. He might not have liked modern days, " bush" isn't very popular anymore )

aleka.org/phoenix/zines.htm

lol did he really say that??? i've never seen that one before but it's hilarious!

04-03-2009
V.I.P.

^ Yes, he did say it and I love him for it! So funny! He had such guts and obviously liked to play about with his interviewers. Not " play the game" for them at all. Very cool. And he did it without being cruel or rude, you know, that's the rare thing.

It's funny, but I've been talking about River a lot lately, and everyone I've spoken to, from ages 20 to 60 ( honestly!), have all voiced such a feeling of tragedy and loss over Rivers death. They didn't all really know a ton about him, but they all have agreed that he was a tremendous actor and seemed to be a good person, despite how he died which IMO might make some people take a negative stance towards him. But no, I've only heard fond words. I think that's unusual.

windowshopping

It's nice to hear when people remember him kindly. I was only like 7 or 8 when he died... i was a fan, but obviously it was unusual at the time for anyone my age to really be that into an actor, so i don't really have a sense of how famous he was at the time.

it's hard to judge in comparison to someone like heath ledger who has been getting so much press and recognition. sometimes i wonder if river had the same thing.

04-03-2009
tfs star

omg, i totally didn´t know he had a thread here, so glad i found it by accident.
he was so gorgeous...amazing face features and such a deep personality.
def subscribing to this thread.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
phoenix, river