How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-09-2006
windowshopping

Just in case anyone actually thought that information on the first page about her being born in 1971 and in texas was real!?? (that must have been about someone else, obviously she was a 60's style icon)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talitha_Pol

23-09-2006
V.I.P.

no Talitha wasn't born in 1971, but she died in 1971... may be a mistake... You're right, Honey Bee.

27-09-2006
fashion icon

In post #7, she looks a lot like Kate Moss.
But in other pictures, she resembles the 80s/90s model named Gail Elliot.

15-10-2006
trendsetter

I have a few screen captures from the sci-fi flick Barbarella I will post.....

16-10-2006
V.I.P.

oh, thank you in advance! Finally some new pics!

16-10-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

It's odd I never noticed before but my mom had a very similar wedding outfit. Maybe not the dress (which I can't see) but my mom had a white cape trimmed in white fur/feathers (can't remember which)

16-10-2006
backstage pass

thanks you so much for all these fab pics! talitha is one of my all time favs!

16-10-2006
trendsetter

A screen capture from Barbarella

backstage pass

Balthazar Getty is her grandson

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyx
Balthazar Getty is her grandson
Actually no, Balthazar the actor is not her grandson. Talitha married Getty in 1966.
Balthazar was born in 1974.

19-10-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral1532
Actually no, Balthazar the actor is not her grandson. Talitha married Getty in 1966.
Balthazar was born in 1974.
oops sorry! I mixed them up... Hes the grandson of Getty and his earlier wife Gisela Getty

trendsetter

Here is a scan from Patrick Lichfield's book The Most Beautiful Women:

Not the best quality.

Here is the caption:

"This photograph was taken at Paul and Talitha's house in Marrakech, Morocco, for American Vogue in the late sixties. Talitha was a great hostess and used to hold enormous house parties to which the 'jet set' of the sixties flocked. Wild and flamboyant even by the standards of the time, Talitha's parties were fables and many of them took place on the roof shown in the picture and lasted for days on end. I photographed her here with Paul in the background showing Talitha draped, as usual, in some of the beautiful, bizarre clothes that she loved to wear. Tragically, she died at an early age." - Patrick Lichfield, 1981

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Just so you don't have to go the site: The article
Talitha: The Ghost of Fashion

"I knew the youthfulness of the sixties: Talitha and Paul Getty lying on a starlit terrace in Marrakesh, beautiful and damned, and a whole generation assembled as if for eternity where the curtain of the past seemed to lift before an extraordinary future." - Yves Saint Laurent
"One memorable New Year's Eve [author John Hopkins] went with friends to Marrakesh to meet the Beatles: 'Don't know what they lace the majoun with down here. Last night Paul and Talitha Getty threw a New Year's Eve party at their palace in the medina. Ira, Joe and I went to meet the Beatles. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were there, flat on their backs. They couldn't get off the floor let alone talk. I've never seen so many people out of control.'" - Tangier DiariesSeason after season, as soon as even a baby's breath of bohemia or the oft-dreaded words, "rich hippie," leave the mouths of stylists and editors, the name Talitha Getty inevitably enters the conversation. The second wife of John Paul Getty II, she died of an overdose in 1971 and although her now-legendary style is a mainstay in the fashion lexicon, it's difficult to find anything in her own words, or even an objective account of her life, in the public sphere.
She's the kind of person made famous by photographs and gossip columns in life, and in death, by enduring style and the conceptual fantasy of carefree pleasure in exotic places her name invokes. NARS has named a lipgloss after her, a "deep rose" called "Talitha." She appears in the same publications over and over, sometimes years apart, sometimes more frequently (see: W, Dec 01; W, April 05; Village Voice, May 03, Village Voice, Sep 05)... usually to describe a particular kind of dress or the slightly louche sort of background sketch that lets you know, It was the Sixties! Things were ever so slightly magical/fabulous/berserk, e.g. the casual mention of her Marrakesh scene in a profile of YSL that appeared in The New Yorker.
And then, of course, lest you think that a hard-partying life of endless street drugs in a city with a low cost of living is rather pedestrian as things go, there is her yacht and namesake, the Talitha G ("Running costs: Pounds 252,000 a week to charter. Value Pounds 128 million.")
Romanticized nearly beyond compare, Getty's role as an eternal muse in the world of fashion seems as ephemeral as the caftans and glamorous mien that shadowed her decadent lifestyle. A recent issue of Tatler profiled her son, Tara Galaxy Gramophone Getty (b. 1968), who lives, with his family in Africa, the relatively normal life of an heir to an unimaginable fortune.
The snapshots of young Tara and his mother were the first I'd ever seen of her that didn't appear make her appear to be the shallow shorthand for the end of a lawless era, or one of the few whose seemingly ubiquitous status in the public eye only makes them more mysterious.
(Scanned from Tatler, February 2006):

Article and photos courtesy of LuxLotus.com
Excellent find, Meg! It's difficult to find anything on Talitha on the internet, which is a shame since she is one of my fashion icons.
I've managed to collect quite a few photos over the years, and have posted them at http://groups.msn.com/talithagetty

John Paul & Talitha, 1965:

John Paul & Talitha getting married in Rome - December 10, 1966:

Talitha, as pipe-smoking girl in Barbarella, 1967/1968:

John Paul & Talitha - the famous Moroccan rooftop photo by Patrick Lichfield - January 1969:

All photos courtesy of http://groups.msn.com/talithagetty

backstage pass

1961:

1965:

With John Paul in 1965:

Wedding day, December 10, 1966:

With her three-week-old son Tara on June 21, 1968:

V.I.P.

million karmas for you. It's always a pleasure to see some new pics!

you made my day :karma:

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
getty, talitha