How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslana rules
I'm curious about Tina's husband's reaction to her AIDS status? I had read that quote before about her being "naughty". Did she have a special understanding with her husband?
Tina's former husband Michael Chow is the artistic and tough taste-maker/task master and was married to Vogue's current Creative Director Grace Codington (when she was a model),then to Tina and now to Eva Chun; all highly fashionable and stylish women.
Tina's marriage was already crumbling when she was "naughty" with Kin D'Estainville from who she contracted AIDS. Michael was solemn and unforgiving of Tina.
Tina who was moving away from the superficiality of the fashion world and also Michael's harsh dictates and finding her own inner creativity (her bamboo crystal jewellery etc) was divorced from Michael after 19 years of marriage and two children.
Michael I think never came to terms with Tina's AIDS diagnosis and soon after her death married Korean fashion designer Eva Chun. They did not have an open marriage but Tina became fed up of being a trophy wife and her "naughtiness" was a way to distance herself from Michael and a cry for help.
Zurain
XxX

Last edited by zurain; 03-05-2007 at 01:52 AM.

03-05-2007
backstage pass

Thank you for that eloquent and very moving account of her life. The compassionate way you expressed the facts made it seem like, but for the grace of God, it could have been anyone. Thank you again.

03-05-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslana rules
Thank you for that eloquent and very moving account of her life. The compassionate way you expressed the facts made it seem like, but for the grace of God, it could have been anyone. Thank you again.
You're very welcome.
I was/am obsessed with Tina and was planning a biography of her life. Even as a man from a Eastern background, like you said even I related to Tina's struggle,s like all of us can.
Ciao Ciao Tina Chow. RIP.
Zurain
XxX

24-05-2007
V.I.P.

wow it's gorgeous

13-07-2007
V.I.P.

Was Tina's marriage to Michael arranged? Has he recanted being so harsh to Tina? Has China ever voiced anything about her dad being so awful to her mom? Anyone know Tina's sign?

13-07-2007
windowshopping

Tina's Legacy
Apparently Michael Chow's first wife, American Vogue's Creative Director, Grace Coddington, formerly a successful model, introduced the couple.
Tina was a naive 20 year old in 1971 when they married. The couple divorced in 1990 two years before Tina's death from AIDS on January 24 1992.
She was born in 1951 but her exact birth date and place of birth are obscure. With her personality and wanting to express herself through her clothes, she seems to be either a Gemini or an Aries.
China is close to her living parent, Michael and appears with him on fashion red carpets, and is a good step-sister to Michael's daughter Asia from Korean designer Eva Chow (nee Chun.)
China has said of her mother that she handled her death with dignity and grace, much how she lived her life. However at the time of Tina's death Michael had said that he could not reconcile what had happened between Tina and him and was not ready then to forgive her for cheating with the bisexual playboy Kin D'Estainville from whom she contracted AIDS, perhaps not realizing that his stringent hold on the free-spirited Tina was what may have pushed her towards another man, as unsuitable as Kim was.
Zurain
XxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Was Tina's marriage to Michael arranged? Has he recanted being so harsh to Tina? Has China ever voiced anything about her dad being so awful to her mom? Anyone know Tina's sign?

13-07-2007
V.I.P.

Did Kim die of AIDS? Did Tina know his reputation and orientation-I would think a name like Kim would be a dead giveaway

13-07-2007
windowshopping

Yes Kim also died from AIDS. Tina was used to being around gay men- Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Way Bandy.
Kim was bisexual yet very charming and not bad looking and had also dated the fashion doyenne Helene Rochas, who once famously kicked him out of her Ritz suite.
Tina was aware of his reputation and naively and sweetly admitted later that "she had been naughty."
Zurain
XxX
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
Did Kim die of AIDS? Did Tina know his reputation and orientation-I would think a name like Kim would be a dead giveaway

09-08-2007
doldrums

Aw she was beautiful.

10-08-2007
backstage pass

There's a story there that needs to be told. A wonderful story. Here are my contributions to keep the thread alive...Enjoyfaux jewels - vogue.jpg

the fashion book phaidon.jpg

tina chow - warhol polaroid- interview mag.jpg

Y4F5D9- whosdatedwho com.jpg Sources: Pic 1 - Faux Jewels - Vogue Magazine. Pic 2 - The Fashion Book - Phaidon. Pic 3 - Warhol polaroid shot - Interview Magazine - All Scanned by Me and Pic 4 - whosdatedwho.com

10-08-2007
V.I.P.

The last pic is of China

10-08-2007
clever ain't wise

She was just gorgeous

10-08-2007
windowshopping

Correction
The small last picture is actually of Tina's daughter with Michael Chow, the actress and model,China Chow.:p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslana rules View Post
There's a story there that needs to be told. A wonderful story. Here are my contributions to keep the thread alive...EnjoyAttachment 316123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslana rules View Post

Attachment 316124
Attachment 316125
Attachment 316126 Sources: Pic 1 - Faux Jewels - Vogue Magazine. Pic 2 - The Fashion Book - Phaidon. Pic 3 - Warhol polaroid shot - Interview Magazine - All Scanned by Me and Pic 4 - whosdatedwho.com

13-08-2007
trendsetter

A few weeks ago, late July, there was an auction on ebay for a pair of Tina Chow earrings. They were crystal and silver and started at 199 going over 1500, but the auction might have been cancelled. I didn't get a chance to save the pictures but I have a tiny one you all might be interested in seeing. In any case, from what I saw one of the crystal beads was missing/broken, and it did have the Tina Chow stamped silver tag on it.

ebay.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TinaChowEarrings.jpg (2.6 KB, 573 views)

23-08-2007
V.I.P.

Credit Sylvia Shap.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chow, tina