How to Join
the Fashion Spot / All Things Vintage / Icons From The Past
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-11-2007
V.I.P.

Vanity
credit American Models

Prince's most famous and in my opinion, most beautiful protege and one of the most beautiful woman to walk the earth. In fact, I think she could hold her on beside Ava Gardner. But don't let me babble on-this is what Wikipedia says:

Vanity is the most popular stage name used by singer/actress/model Denise Katrina Matthews (born January 4, 1959 in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada).
She is sometimes credited as Denise Matthews-Smith or D.D. Winters.
She is a sister of Canadian model Patricia Matthews.
Early in her career, Matthews appeared in B-movies such as Tanya's Island and Terror Train. In 1982, she met Prince who re-named her Vanity, saying he saw his female reflection when he looked at her. Some versions of the story suggest that Prince coined the name Vagina initially, but she refused and renamed herself "Vanity" instead. Later that same year, she became the lead singer of singing group Vanity 6. Their trademark was explicit sexuality in their lyrics, performances, and attire. Prince produced the group's biggest hit "Nasty Girl."
After one album, Vanity decided to leave her role in Vanity 6 and the proposed film Purple Rain in 1983. Vanity signed a lucrative record deal with Motown Records in 1984. She recorded two albums, Wild Animal and Skin On Skin. She also starred in a handful of movies, including The Last Dragon and the 1988 action thriller Action Jackson, in which she starred opposite Carl Weathers, Craig T. Nelson, and Sharon Stone. She also played a villain torturing Nancy Allen's character in 1990's amnesia-plot TV movie Memories of Murder; the film has appeared on the Lifetime channel. She guest starred in an episode of Miami Vice in its third season; she posed for Playboy in 1988; and, in 1993, she appeared in an episode of Highlander opposite Adrian Paul.
After being turned on to cocaine, which resulted in near-fatal kidney failure, Vanity gave up her stage name and became a born-again Christian and evangelist on August 16, 1997. She travels America, and currently resides in Fremont, California.
In 2005, Vanity 6's "Nasty Girl" was redone in a tribal style by dance performer Inaya Day. Matthews is currently working on finishing her novel Blame it on Vanity.

Personal life
Matthews was engaged to Mötley Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx in the 1980s. She joked during interviews that her new stage name will then be Vanity 6 (Sixx) again. They never married.
Matthews was married to pro football player Anthony Smith, from 26 March 1995-1996. They are now divorced.
Matthews has a German mother and an African-American father.

Last edited by scriptgirl; 18-11-2007 at 09:54 PM.

18-11-2007
trendsetter

I used to think she was so beautiful when I was a kid, and I still do. Thanks for starting this. I'll try and find more pics later.

18-11-2007
V.I.P.

Credit Vibe, rolling stone, american model

The cover of the debut album of the legendary Vanity 6

Last edited by scriptgirl; 18-11-2007 at 09:56 PM.
18-11-2007
trendsetter

I love that last one, love her hair and eyebrows.

18-11-2007
V.I.P.

rock magazine, princeorg, vantiyslair

Last edited by scriptgirl; 18-11-2007 at 10:16 PM.
18-11-2007
V.I.P.

She was and still is one sexy woman.

backstage pass

Thanks for starting this thread!
She was and is absolutely stunning. She was on 20/20, or one of those shows last year, and she has gone back to her real name of Denise, and is a born-again Christian. They showed her singing in church, and she seemed really happy. She refused to talk about her days with Prince.
My husband had a huge crush on her - had her poster hanging in his bedroom whenever he was a teenager. I think a lot of guys did

V.I.P.

She and Prince did not end well and I don't think she thinks of him fondly. I don't know the whole story, just dribs and drabs, but I do know that he had other women on the side and she was too into drugs and had a tough personality he found hard to deal with. Despite what people think, Prince is a good midwestern boy at heart.
With Vanity 6-one of the greatest girl groups of all time

credit housequake, princeorg

22-11-2007
backstage pass

She looked like Bianca Jagger in some pics. Beautiful!

V.I.P.

Don't see the resemblance-I think Vanity is much more beautiful than Bianca
housequake

23-11-2007
V.I.P.

She looks hot in that pic. Whats the 80's without teaed hair?

V.I.P.

vanityslair

24-11-2007
V.I.P.

credit Jet magazine
This article is in the current issue

24-11-2007
V.I.P.

^^You know, I never thought about it. Madonna (the singer) should give some credit to Denise or "Vanity". If you look at how "Vanity" performed on stage Madonna had copied some of her performances and looks on stage.

V.I.P.

I don't know if Madonna copied her, but Vanity made it ok for women to perform in lingerie and be overtly sexual onstage.
Flickr

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
vanity