How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-11-2012
V.I.P.

let's just all relax - for all we know that could be a yawn and not the native american offensive gesture. let the video when it finally plays tell the story.

07-11-2012
fashion icon

I will readily admit I am not a fan of the Victoria Secret fashion show's but usually I just don't pay attention to them. But I really have to comment on this year's show, mainly because of one of the outfits Karlie is wearing. It's not only horribly offensive towards the Plains people (and to many other Native American/Aboriginal people too) but it is in especially poor taste since November is Native American history month. Native American's have been so overly sexualized and misrepresented, and by dressing Karlie in a war bonnet, VS continues to perpetuate stereotypes about Native people. Plus, there is the fact that 1 in 3 Native women have been raped or experienced attempted rape. So knowing these facts makes this whole situation all the more vile. You would think VS would take note of this, but I have a feeling they purposely dressed her in a war bonnet to seek attention. Which is rather gross, of course we're commenting on it, but still, wouldn't it be better to get attention for a job well done then because of a racist outfit? I mean, Lana Del Rey and No Doubt have both been called out on there shtick within the past month, so it's not like this is a new thing. When will people learn that this is not okay???

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 07-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.

07-11-2012
tfs star

And again, the hand gesture is the least of the problems. It's the entire costume. If there was enough outrage over the geisha costume, to the point VS had to pull off of their website, what do we really think will happen when the public at large sees these pics? Or when millions of viewers see the show, a far larger audience than those who initially saw the geisha costume on the website.

07-11-2012
fashion insider

I really want to give Karlie the benefit of the doubt with the hand gesture. I think she's blowing a kiss. Just for a quick comparison:

startrackphoto.com

07-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrllaless View Post
And again, the hand gesture is the least of the problems. It's the entire costume. If there was enough outrage over the geisha costume, to the point VS had to pull off of their website, what do we really think will happen when the public at large sees these pics? Or when millions of viewers see the show, a far larger audience than those who initially saw the geisha costume on the website.
Exactly.

And it's not an issue with the fact that people identify with race.

It's such a beautiful thing that America is so so so diverse. The most diverse country in the world and hopefully you saw how incredible this is last night with politics.

The issue with the geisha outfit and the latina outfit is that asian women and latina women have been sexually marginalized in a negative light in the media and in reality--with sex trafficking and violence against women. That is why it becomes a sensitive issue because it brings things too close together. That is also why those minorities are willfully and likely to be personally offended by these types of stereotyping portrayals as opposed to french women and a sexy french maid costume. It's because the degree of sex trafficking and negative sexual portrayal of certain minorities is higher than negative portrayal of a french woman for example.

So that is why this is open game for activists, organizations, bloggers etc

Last edited by theBlueRider; 07-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.

07-11-2012
fashion icon

There is nothing wrong with Karlie's costume. So if I wanted to wear a costume influenced by another culture, I wouldn't be allowed too? I live in Australia, one of the most multicultural countries in the world, and we like to embrace different cultures. however Karlie's hand-gesture is not on. It was silly and dumb, hopefully it is edited out. I thought she was smarter then that.

07-11-2012
tfs star

Karlie's lips look puckered.......

07-11-2012
front row

I think she's blowing a kiss. And if not, since they tape it twice, maybe she made a different gesture in the second taping which could be used in the footage (if they don't cut it anyway)?

07-11-2012
fashion icon

I think and hope its a kiss too. VSFS don't need unnecessary drama

07-11-2012
fashion elite

I just noticed Bruno looks incredibly short, how tall is he?

07-11-2012
backstage pass

even if she did, VS will not let that through don't worry
for the outfit itsel people should really calm down
they did pretty much every living on this planet so if people get offended by that...

07-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTMugler View Post
I just noticed Bruno looks incredibly short, how tall is he?
he is really short. he was standing in a box when he was shooting with Joan for vogue. ill said he is around 5'7/5'8

07-11-2012
V.I.P.

not only that, standing next to these leggy models, he has short legs by comparison, making him look even smaller.

07-11-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoJonathan View Post
he is really short. he was standing in a box when he was shooting with Joan for vogue. ill said he is around 5'7/5'8
I think he's even shorter than that! He looks TEENY next to Barbara, who is like 5'7'', and of course she was wearing heels and he's slightly behind her, but even considering that he looks like a midget

07-11-2012
V.I.P.

God, Karlie is sending a kiss:

startraksphoto.com

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, fashion, post, posting, secret, victoria