How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2006
Von
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIM
its crazy if more than one agency is working the same area as another like last time i was at the clothes show i was scouted as soon as i stepped in the door by select who then sort of escoreted me nearer to there stand by about 3 scouts arround me (it looked as though they were my body guards lol) i told them i would go by later but was then quickly scouted by storm (yay!) who snatched my scout card from select off me and took my photos and what not then later select did the same thing to the card from storm - this happened 11 times that day and in was like i'm nothing like a model!
but storm called me that evening and blah blah blah shoots blah blah blah STORM
Haha, thats funny.

I don't even have a card, so I dunno what that makes me.
Oh well, I hear Vision digs my looks, so whatever happens happens.

In the meantime, I'll remain a partying dirtbag, haha!
jk.

10-01-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
this is a bit off topic but what is a modelling school? what do you do learn to walk? they teach you that at the agencies
something gay like that, i dont really remember but I do know my sister fell for it and she paid, they gave her a wicked crappy "portfolio" of her pics then kicked her to the curve. Never heard of anything since. They are supposed to find you jobs but they dont. Its wicked gay.

Btw what are the measurements for a male model again?

10-01-2006
princely

5'11 to 6'2. sometimes 5'10", sometimes 6'3"

30-32" waist. sometimes 28"

10-01-2006
princely

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fashionista
May I ask what your daughter's measurements were (if you know) and about what size jeans she wore when she was approached by major agencies?
I'm only curious because one of my guy friends' older sister named Jessie went to New York about 5 or 6 months ago on a whim. She visited major agencies: Women, IMG, Next, DNA and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. And she was SO THIN. She wore a size 0-2 pants, and was 5"9 and 120 lbs like your daughter. Her measurements were something like 32-24-35. She had sort of wide set hips but her legs were so thin I mean she had the body of any other working model. Two or three of the agencies were interested in her but in the end her parents made her go to college closer to home, it was kind of a bad situation.
So I was just curious since your daughter asked to lose 7-10lbs, and that seems a crazy request of a skinny girl- I mean 120 lbs isn't a whole lot on someone with a 5"9 frame.

Just curious
One thing is that, not everybody has the same frame. Alot of people who are 5'9 and 120lbs dont always look the same. One can look alot bigger than another, depending on muscles/ bone density, framework..

Weight isnt important so much, the measurments are. But if you need to lose some weight to get the measurements, then so be it.

10-01-2006
trendsetter

my waist size is 28 in jeans but my actual waist is like 26 or something and i'm 5"9 / 10 if you count my hair so short for a model blokey.

normally male models waists are 30 and below well the guys i know are below 30

10-01-2006
princely

Quote:
my waist size is 28 in jeans but my actual waist is like 26 or something and i'm 5"9 / 10 if you count my hair so short for a model blokey.

It depends on your height, most likely if youre shorter youll be 30 and under.

Good luck!

10-01-2006
trendsetter

Quote:

what agency are you with?

10-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
One thing is that, not everybody has the same frame. Alot of people who are 5'9 and 120lbs dont always look the same. One can look alot bigger than another, depending on muscles/ bone density, framework..

Weight isnt important so much, the measurments are. But if you need to lose some weight to get the measurements, then so be it.
That's a very good point. I just think that if she was 120 at 5"9, she must have had to be very thin and thin enough. That's just me though.

Someone said to me once, "No waaaay can she be 120 lbs. She has to be 100 or 105 at the most." Lol. She would have been dead. I think a lot of times people forget that the taller a person is, the more they will weigh.

Okay getting off on a tangent, sorry.

10-01-2006
Von
front row

Quote:

Ya, I'm a 28 as well, but I'm 6'2".
I'm actually wearing 27's but they are strech, and falling off my bum :[

10-01-2006
trendsetter

thats so skinny - but thats a god thing!

i just measure my waist and its smaller than i thought (eek!) so i dunno its must be about your look and vibe or attetude or something.

10-01-2006
Von
front row

Quote:
thats so skinny - but thats a god thing!

i just measure my waist and its smaller than i thought (eek!) so i dunno its must be about your look and vibe or attetude or something.
Ya, it used to be Mr. Confident, marching into the agency with "sign me now!"
To...The innocent boy who is swept off the sidewalk and 3 years into his major modeling contract still "doesn't have the slightest clue" what is going on.

Its good for me though, I'm far from confident, until I need to be. ;]

11-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fashionista
May I ask what your daughter's measurements were (if you know) and about what size jeans she wore when she was approached by major agencies?
I'm only curious because one of my guy friends' older sister named Jessie went to New York about 5 or 6 months ago on a whim. She visited major agencies: Women, IMG, Next, DNA and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. And she was SO THIN. She wore a size 0-2 pants, and was 5"9 and 120 lbs like your daughter. Her measurements were something like 32-24-35. She had sort of wide set hips but her legs were so thin I mean she had the body of any other working model. Two or three of the agencies were interested in her but in the end her parents made her go to college closer to home, it was kind of a bad situation.
So I was just curious since your daughter asked to lose 7-10lbs, and that seems a crazy request of a skinny girl- I mean 120 lbs isn't a whole lot on someone with a 5"9 frame.

Just curious
she wore a size four i believe, 34 24 35/6, she was very thin that summer and i agree, a crazy request. she went in (after being scouted) wearing jeans baggy) a white boys tank top, sneakers, her hair pulled back. and all of them liked her but the weight was an issue! lol she is still a very slender woman. 125 on a 5'9" frame is not much!

11-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWoman
Modelling Schools are a load of crap. First of all, they charge you a huge sum of $money to 'prepare' you to become a success and blah.. blah.. blah.. If they really want you they will pay your way, (expecting you to pay them back of course through the work you do). Simple as that.
we already know that.

what we don't seem to know is that MANY MANY models like gisele did start out in schools, and if it weren't for the school they would've never made the social connections that got them into the industry. This is especially true in regions that don't have well-connected or even legit agencies, which describes the region of brazil gisele hails from. Sometimes it seems like schools are the only real choice someone has to meet connected people.
Not everyone has decent photos of themselves to an agency that will get their attention, or a way to get themselves to the agency.

it just doesn't make sense.

11-01-2006
scenester

Originally Posted by it's happening
oh, if "Barbizon is bullshit" and all the schools are too, for that matter, then please explain why so many fricken models such as Gisele and the editor of that one fashion-industy mag (the name completely slips my mind) got discovered and/or greatly connected through those dreadful schools?! there have been many many models that have went the school path and had great luck getting paid and connected and elevated onwards to success through them.....most 'discovery' stories that are truthful actually involve the schools and people getting scouted at the schools.

How come this original post isn't appearing in this thread, yet it was the other day? Was it deleted? in it, i also asked how Ali got started, model_mom

11-01-2006
V.I.P.

We had Ali's pictures taken at a local photography studio and the photographer called us and ask us to come talk to him. He showed us the proofs and told us we needed to send them in to an agency. He told her she was very photogenic and had the build and the height for modeling. Just for the hell of it we sent them to Ford Chicago. We didn't even know that you were suppose to send polaroids. Ford called us a week later and wanted to meet with us. We drove to Chicago and met with them and they signed her that day. She did some jobs for Ford Chicago that summer and had a few editorials come out. That Sept they sent her to Paris and the following January she had her first show season in NY.

Last edited by model_mom; 13-01-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scouted