How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-10-2005
backstage pass

I'm still about the "dead, haunted look".

I too was scouted as a child for a department store. I think I was about 6, and I remember being extremely nervous and stiff during the shoot. I was in a monthly catalog, and got a call back to do it again, but didn't want to. I'm glad I wasn't interested in it then because I only turned out to be 5'6".

10-10-2005
V.I.P.

ONce....in Hong Kong......then again, that's not saying much.
They basically look for anyone over 5"6......you could be as ugly as a trout and still get modelling work there!

Of course cynical me thought it was a scam and plus I was returning to London so..alas my Asia-based modelling career did not take off. :p

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
12-10-2005
V.I.P.

I have been offered to be a model scout, since I have connections with major NYC agents/bookers. Not saying that I am . But I have offered my assistance to some agent/booker friends since I travel alot. And I tell you this, in my travels I have met and seen so many NATURALLY beautiful guys and girls-- and this without makeup. It's quite interesting.

FYI: and the ones who have no clue what modeling is all about end up the most successful in the business.

Last edited by smartarse; 12-10-2005 at 10:34 PM.
30-10-2005
front row

yup... i live in downtown manhattan and have been scouted TONS of times... by agencies like willhemina and other small agencies which i dont even remember cause i sort of blow them off.... i used to be in ellite, so i felt comfortable blowing them off. the top agencies don't really go scouting in new york. anyway, i dropped out of ellite cause i think the modeling business is way to harsh and fake for me...its seriously like entering the meat packing district :-P haha. if anyone here gets scouted i iseriously advice you 1) look into whichever modeling agency is trying to scout you
2) see if you can get into other better agencies like Ellite, Ford, Women etc... first. Alot of the agencies which scout you can turn out to be ones you have to PAY to be in... don't fall for it
3) MAKE SURE you are confident and ready to be in the business!

30-10-2005
rising star

I was scouted by Elite once when I was fourteen and I did some work, but then I had 'eating problems' and had to leave...

30-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwalkxxqueen
I was scouted by Elite once when I was fourteen and I did some work, but then I had 'eating problems' and had to leave...

catwalkxxqueen wow.. that's the exact same story for me!!! Except i wasn't scouted by them.. I just walked in and got a contract on the spot. I did some work too before even signing the contract.. and pulled myself out for the same reasons before signing the contract. i was fourteen too

30-10-2005
windowshopping

Wow, it's shocking to read so many of you were actually scouted. I often thought those "she was discovered in a McDonald's eating a Big Mac" stories were just the PR machine creating fairy tale lives for their clients.

Amazing! Congrats to all of you who were...that must be flattering.

31-10-2005
windowshopping

ive been scouted about 5 times now, twice by select, once by storm and twice by some dodgy-looking companies wondering around london. Its never really got anywhere though and im not sure if its something id want to do. id have to loose some thigh weight and im pretty insecure as it is. so, yerp.

bit of advice, if you live in the uk and want to get scouted, go to the clothes show. most of the main agencies show up and some hardcore scouting happens

31-10-2005
lovely but empty

I've been asked to do hair modeling. I've never accepted, since I can't bear the thought of signing over my hair to someone to do god knows what to it and not having any say in the matter ... but my mom's friend's son was scouted by an agency at gay pride week in Toronto, which I had to share because it's such a great story.

31-10-2005
V.I.P.

Well, I wasn't going to post this as I didn't think it was scouting, but it kind of is.

My friend and I were doing an interview maybe 2 weeks ago with a local booker (she's the one who discovered Myoko Nguyen, she has a thread here) for school. She's really nice and works from home and we spent lots of time with her and then at some point she asked me how tall I was and said that she has the eye for spotting models and that I should get polaroids taken. She measured me (I'm 5'8" woo!) and said that when she'd get her digital camera back (it was broken), she'd give me a call and that she'd send my pictures to her affiliate in Toronto (Chantale Nadea; the agency is listed on OtW). Well she just called me back and I'm seeing her on Thursday to get my pictures taken.

I'm not expecting anything, really, because I don't think I have the look to be a model. I certainly don't have the right size (although I don't exercize and eat pretty much whatever I want... it's not that I'm fat, just not model sized :p) at the moment, although I don't think it matters that much.

Anyway, that's my story! We'll see how it goes

Ohhhh, and there was this shitty convention thingy (Proscout) that came her a few years ago and on the spot, the guy said I had "nice bone structure" (lmao, I really didn't believe him!) I got called back and was invited to their conference in Montreal (or was it Toronto) but it was super expensive and a total scam (at least to me). They called back a week later saying I could have a special price (700$) but I just laughed and said no. I mean, honestly! They had lowered the price because they didn't get enough people to go

31-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwalkxxqueen
Sounds like the story of my life

scenester

I was scouted twice back when I was like 13. I think mainly because I'm tall-5"10, but I turned them down cuz I was such a tomboy and modeling made me wanna gag. Now I regret it...cuz modeling absolutely fascinates me now.

backstage pass

I was scouted once when I was about 10 for a children's brand here in Argentina. But i turned it down because i was sooo shy I couldn't imagine myself as a "model"

“Fashion fades, only style remains the same” Coco Chanel

Last edited by - belle -; 13-12-2005 at 11:33 PM.
14-12-2005
front row

I was scouted once locally by some really dodgy Baltimore agency that just wanted Glamour models, which really was wierd because I am the complete oposite of a glam model(ie: Skinny, popsicle shaped, no boobs lol) so I dunno what that was about. Step is new in the DC/Baltimore area so I just joined with them, they're like the only fashion agency here lol

14-12-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Ayana
I was scouted twice back when I was like 13. I think mainly because I'm tall-5"10, but I turned them down cuz I was such a tomboy and modeling made me wanna gag. Now I regret it...cuz modeling absolutely fascinates me now.
The same exact thing happened to me. I was also a tomboy and I was like kinda like "modeling? ew...." .. Now i'm obsessed.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scouted