How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
02-01-2006
  106
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,261
It has been decided that I am not a scout,smatarse is not a scout and I have determined by your posts Marqueemoon that you are not a scout. We each are entitled to our own opinions and I would like for this topic to return to it's original purpose.

I do have one slight little thing to add about a quote of yours:
My point is that a scout would never go to an extremely remote, sparsely habited locale with the express purpose of looking for girls. Give me one example of this ever happening.

I do know of a scout from Next going to the Ukraine to scout out potential girls.....She was on a train and someone was shot in the next compartment...I call that remote and dangerous.

__________________
"Let's stop treating models like greyhounds we plan to shoot after a race. We have to remember we are dealing with real people who have real feelings."
- James Scully
  Reply With Quote
 
02-01-2006
  107
V.I.P.
 
smartarse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manhattan - New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,028
Your belittling and accusations are nothing but a child’s play. Your argument is moot. I don’t have to list any credentials to someone who has no knowledge or an understanding or even a concept of the business, let alone to someone who’s in the outside looking in. Furthermore, I am not getting paid for divulging such further information in this forum. However, I have contributed more than I should. Which is more than your petty little arguments and belittling.


Now back to the subject…

__________________
Head Over Heels
NatashaYarovenko.EditaV.ToniGarrn.KarmenPedaru.AliStephens.Sigrid.Selezne va.ChiaraBaschetti.
  Reply With Quote
02-01-2006
  108
princely
 
yourbestfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 13,403
I know Butterfly at DNA went on a scouting trip late last year to eastern europe (czech rep), thts where she found Eva Polonovia, the new 6 footer at DNA.

  Reply With Quote
02-01-2006
  109
tfs star
 
marqueemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend
I know Butterfly at DNA went on a scouting trip late last year to eastern europe (czech rep), thts where she found Eva Polonovia, the new 6 footer at DNA.
I didn't say a scout wouldn't visit less obvious countries, but she would probably go straight for the cities, fairs and marketplaces in those regions. I doubt she would waste her time scouting out farms and the like. The example modelmom offered is an accidental discovery. That's different from actually seeking out potential models in isolated, rustic settings. Hope that clarifies my point.

Quote:
It has been decided that I am not a scout,smatarse is not a scout and I have determined by your posts Marqueemoon that you are not a scout.
No, I'm not a scout but neither is smartarse, so her opinions have no more worth than mine. I'm not sure why you think that they do:
Quote:
Excellent post from someone who knows what they are talking about. Karma for you.
Since smartarse ducks away whenever probed about her credentials and her sweeping generalizations, I can only assume she doesn't have any experience or a clue what she's talking about. Yup, this discussion has reached its logical end. I've wasted too much time arguing with somebody who doesn't possess basic logic or the ability to construct a coherent sentence.


Last edited by marqueemoon; 02-01-2006 at 09:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
02-01-2006
  110
V.I.P.
 
smartarse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manhattan - New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
Excellent post from someone who knows what they are talking about. Karma for you.
Thank you , model_mom . Ya know I've exhausted all my contribution. lol Can't help it if somebody can't handle the truth.

back on topic:

Iman was discovered in Kenya by Peter Beard. Then asked her to go with him to New York City and the rest is history.

__________________
Head Over Heels
NatashaYarovenko.EditaV.ToniGarrn.KarmenPedaru.AliStephens.Sigrid.Selezne va.ChiaraBaschetti.

Last edited by smartarse; 02-01-2006 at 09:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
03-01-2006
  111
princely
 
yourbestfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 13,403
That sounds like what happened to Natalia Vodianova too. With the scout finding her in Russia telling her if she learnt English he would take her to Paris.

Its not more of going to the rural towns, but rather travelling and having the eye open at all times.

  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  112
scenester
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
Nose:, gisele again.

Now, you’re nitpicking. Gisele’s overall beauty is classic.

long: …but namely heidi klum.

Heidi Klum’s face is NOT long. She’s eye-candy (to men) and again she’s considered a classic beauty.


I fail to see any factual data or examples backing up your points.


Because your arguments are naively assessed by you. You have no clue about the industry.

i never said long for Klum!
why don't yo REREAD:

"oh, and "Big noses, long faces, eyes asymetrical etc...... to put it bluntly it wasn't eye candy" are actually quite common in high fashion, to put it bluntly. Nose: erin o'conner, gisele again.
long: Racquel Z., Hannelore, eyes asym: too many to count, but namely heidi klum. Are these features trends? Ha, i reckon trends aren't supposed to last more than a season, and these women have been first-tier models for at least 5 years."

Klum was mentioned in regards to have asymetrical eyes.

Gisele's age has been debated for quite awhile, ive heard from reputable sources that she's 28. Now are you gonna tell us that we shouldn't believe that models lie about their ages? The age thing is just as mythic as the discovery story. She waited years, during the early 90's, before she got any work. Her look wasn't in. She wasn't working, she was hanging out on the sidelines like alot of wannabe models do.

Really, WTF is up with your attitude? this isn't a debate, ok? why don't you mellow the hell out? You sound like you're ready to have a heart attack if we don't bow down and accept what you're saying.

For someone so involved in truth-telling about the industry, and representing all that is true within it, you shouting at us like you're doing us all a huge favor (which you aren't) is surprising. It's surprising to see that you would have the time to demonstrate how much free time and energy you have to insult people on the web that you most likely will never even meet in reality in order to get them to believe you. What a set of priorities you got there.

Just where are you hoping to go with bitching at people, exclaiming how ignorant and young they are, when you don't even know them or their background? Why don't you ask rather than ASSume?

i agree with the other poster, this notion of scouts being trained beyond description is asinine at best. I've never seen a recruiter in any industry be so worshipped from afar for the selecting ability as a mod. scout. 2 eyes is 2 eyes. A slanted eye is a slanted eye. Give me a break!Ridiculous. Tell me what i should be looking for and i can scout too.


Last edited by it's happening; 09-01-2006 at 02:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  113
scenester
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
Your belittling and accusations are nothing but a child’s play. Your argument is moot. I don’t have to list any credentials to someone who has no knowledge or an understanding or even a concept of the business, let alone to someone who’s in the outside looking in. Furthermore, I am not getting paid for divulging such further information in this forum. However, I have contributed more than I should. Which is more than your petty little arguments and belittling.


Now back to the subject…
Excuse me? you hijacked the subject, so this is all about you now.
Since you proceeded to attack everyone else's background without any inquiry, why can't we know yours? i could care less if you aren't getting paid to talk here, keep in mind no one ASKED you to talk here in the first place. You weren't summoned to share your thoughts. If you can't substantiate your viewpoints with some personal history indicating to us how your viewpoints were formed, then don't expect us to believe you. You claimed all of our's are wrong, so if that's the case, what about you makes your points so right?

Why do you think people are so confused when approaching the how-to's of modeling? because people like you come in and say one thing, without substantiating any of their claims, and then someone else does and says another, and offers their credentials, and people end up not knowing who to believe. So often the latter ends up being a fraud, yet no one has any way of knowing that because the former doesn't try to clarify anything. You don't know how much of an insider anyone here is, just like we have no proof that you are any more of an insider yourself.

Funny how you say the only reason people are finding your comments to be silly is because we can't handle the truth. Don't you know, more than anyone, how ridiculous that sounds? You're trying to convince us of "the truth" in an industry that has none.

"Gisele’s overall beauty is classic" ....sounds as incredulous as she looks. Exotic beauty, sure, but classic? Grace kelly is classic, as is Shalom Harlow... WASPy features are the barometer for classic. Maybe we should go ask Eileen Ford about classic because her agency supposedly only selects the classic look. I don't recall Gisele ever being Ford-eligible...
Gisele has a very mannish face and narrow small eyes...opposite of classic. In fact all those Brazillian models are the opposite.......


Butterfly at DNA--who is she?


Last edited by it's happening; 09-01-2006 at 03:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  114
princely
 
yourbestfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 13,403
Butteryfly is an agent that manages alot of the new girls, and some of the more recognizable ones like Hana Soukupova.

  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  115
.fr
 
MissDIOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TheLittleParis
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's happening
Butterfly at DNA--who is she?
Butterfly is a booker at DNA to my mind but correct me if wrong She is Hana Soukupova's booker as well ... here are some photos of them together


[modemodels]

__________________
MissDIOR Couture [BLOG] - soooo french!
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  116
scenester
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
where can we find out more info about the bookers, like her?

I wonder how someone manages to have self-esteem in a job like that.

  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  117
V.I.P.
 
model_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,261
The name and subject of this thread is..."Have you ever been scouted?" Please get back on topic and stay there. I contributed to this mess but all further discussion about what a scout is or isn't needs a thread of it's own in the career and education forum. In fact I think there is already one posted there.

__________________
"Let's stop treating models like greyhounds we plan to shoot after a race. We have to remember we are dealing with real people who have real feelings."
- James Scully
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  118
V.I.P.
 
smartarse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Manhattan - New York City
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,028
Then IGNORE me. I believe there is a function that you can do so.

__________________
Head Over Heels
NatashaYarovenko.EditaV.ToniGarrn.KarmenPedaru.AliStephens.Sigrid.Selezne va.ChiaraBaschetti.
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  119
front row
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by it's happening
oh, if "Barbizon is bullshit" and all the schools are too, for that matter, then please explain why so many fricken models such as Gisele and the editor of that one fashion-industy mag (the name completely slips my mind) got discovered and/or greatly connected through those dreadful schools?! there have been many many models that have went the school path and had great luck getting paid and connected and elevated onwards to success through them.....most 'discovery' stories that are truthful actually involve the schools and people getting scouted at the schools.
Modelling Schools are a load of crap. First of all, they charge you a huge sum of $money to 'prepare' you to become a success and blah.. blah.. blah.. If they really want you they will pay your way, (expecting you to pay them back of course through the work you do). Simple as that.


Last edited by SuperWoman; 09-01-2006 at 01:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
09-01-2006
  120
scenester
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 68
my oldest daughter was approached by 3 major agencies while in nyc the summer she finished high school. (woman, elite and ford) she was/is 5'9", classically beautiful w/a model body (i.e. small breasted, long torso, legs) at the time she weighed 120 lbs. w/no intention of persuing modelling as a career, she went to the agencies anyway on a lark. they all told her she needed to lose 7-10 lbs, but all were eager to test her. she told them she had no intention in participating in prostitution of anorexia (her words) and left. today she weighs 125, has a two year old daughter, a restuarant she owns w/her husband in mexico on thebeach and a degree in business. she divides her time between mexico and the states and travels a lot. she's planning n another baby this year and law school next. she is at 26 more beautiful than ever with great sense of style and a wonderfully full life! i'm glad she made the choices she did. modelling is a tough biz.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scouted
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.