How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2006
trendsetter

^ I don't mean this to sound offensive, but it seems like she took the "lose 7-10 lbs" a little too far don't you think? They weren't asking her to not eat, they were just asking her to lose weight.

09-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeing_double
^ I don't mean this to sound offensive, but it seems like she took the "lose 7-10 lbs" a little too far don't you think? They weren't asking her to not eat, they were just asking her to lose weight.
lol, she really had no interest in doing it. and i think had a bit of fun telling them off (she was 17 at the time btw, she still gets asked if she's a model quite frequently and is five lbs heaver now! both my daughters were approached (via me) as kids quite often when we lived in nyc. i never encouraged it nor took it seriously because i'm a firm believer in children being allowed a childhood and a good education. even re/my youngest who has ben passionate about acting since childhood, i stood my ground in terms of the education. she's since got a degree in lib arts, travelled the world and is auditioning for juliard at the end of this month. if a kid really wants somthing, they'll still want it after they finish school. guess i'm a tough mama!

Last edited by trip; 09-01-2006 at 06:45 PM.
09-01-2006
V.I.P.

and one that has loads of money to make sure all your childrens dreams came true....that is not the case with many of the young ladies that are approached. They believe sometimes mistakenly that modeling is a way to have the things and the experiences that they have been missing but for some it becomes a reality.

Last edited by model_mom; 09-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
09-01-2006
windowshopping

I went to a modeling convention in New York with Barbizon but it was a big joke . ;\ only 2 of our girls got picked up.

09-01-2006
backstage pass

2 girls out of how many?

09-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by model_mom
and one that has loads of money to make sure all your childrens dreams came true....that is not the case with many of the young ladies that are approached. They believe sometimes mistakenly that modeling is a way to have the things and the experiences that they have been missing but for some it becomes a reality.
nope, just a good work ethic i imparted to my kids.hard work, scolarships and jobs got them where they are now. i was a single, working mom btw.as for those young ladies, yes for some it does but so many don't make the cut and wind up worse off than they were before which is why i am so adamant about the benefits of a good education!

09-01-2006
V.I.P.

and one that has loads of money to make sure all your childrens dreams came true. [Quote]

I'm sorry,that was very rude of me to make that assumption.

Maybe what I needed to say was that many young girls don't have a strong parent to say "No your education comes first." I am guilty of this myself. I did finally put my daughter back in school in time to graduate with her class.

10-01-2006
scenester

^
no problem
glad to hear it! my experience is direct. i worked as a makeup artist/stylist in a previous life and did test shoots for a major agency. i've seen first hand how few of the young, aspiring girls move up the ladder. of course some do, but those that make it usually see modelling as a business opportunity rather than a glamour job, which it's not. it's very hard work. i think the age thing has changed a little, therefor it's a good idea to complete high school at the very least before taking it on.

10-01-2006
windowshopping

I was approached by a photographer in dublin, ireland in the summer who wanted to take pictures of my 2 brothers and I. She said she was off to fashion week in new york in the next week and we were only visiting to we had to turn her down.

10-01-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip
my oldest daughter was approached by 3 major agencies while in nyc the summer she finished high school. (woman, elite and ford) she was/is 5'9", classically beautiful w/a model body (i.e. small breasted, long torso, legs) at the time she weighed 120 lbs. w/no intention of persuing modelling as a career, she went to the agencies anyway on a lark. they all told her she needed to lose 7-10 lbs, but all were eager to test her. she told them she had no intention in participating in prostitution of anorexia (her words) and left. today she weighs 125, has a two year old daughter, a restuarant she owns w/her husband in mexico on thebeach and a degree in business. she divides her time between mexico and the states and travels a lot. she's planning n another baby this year and law school next. she is at 26 more beautiful than ever with great sense of style and a wonderfully full life! i'm glad she made the choices she did. modelling is a tough biz.

May I ask what your daughter's measurements were (if you know) and about what size jeans she wore when she was approached by major agencies?
I'm only curious because one of my guy friends' older sister named Jessie went to New York about 5 or 6 months ago on a whim. She visited major agencies: Women, IMG, Next, DNA and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. And she was SO THIN. She wore a size 0-2 pants, and was 5"9 and 120 lbs like your daughter. Her measurements were something like 32-24-35. She had sort of wide set hips but her legs were so thin I mean she had the body of any other working model. Two or three of the agencies were interested in her but in the end her parents made her go to college closer to home, it was kind of a bad situation.
So I was just curious since your daughter asked to lose 7-10lbs, and that seems a crazy request of a skinny girl- I mean 120 lbs isn't a whole lot on someone with a 5"9 frame.

Just curious

10-01-2006
Von
front row

I was scouted by Barbara Pfister under the Brooklyn Bridge.

I was just hanging out, being a dirt bag, you know...hehe.
...Actually, she scared me, I thought she was a heroin bum trying to hit on me...but lets keep that secrete eh? Haha.

10-01-2006
trendsetter

its crazy if more than one agency is working the same area as another like last time i was at the clothes show i was scouted as soon as i stepped in the door by select who then sort of escoreted me nearer to there stand by about 3 scouts arround me (it looked as though they were my body guards lol) i told them i would go by later but was then quickly scouted by storm (yay!) who snatched my scout card from select off me and took my photos and what not then later select did the same thing to the card from storm - this happened 11 times that day and in was like i'm nothing like a model!
but storm called me that evening and blah blah blah shoots blah blah blah STORM

10-01-2006
backstage pass

Wow!! would you like to post picture in the "members posting pictures" tread..! HAHAHA

10-01-2006
trendsetter

those modeling schools stopped me before, John Casablancas was the name I think.. $2000 bucks for the classes, heeeeeeeeellll no.

A lot of people told me I should be a male model but im like 5'7 how many companies are going to book me for that lol?

10-01-2006
trendsetter

this is a bit off topic but what is a modelling school? what do you do learn to walk? they teach you that at the agencies

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
scouted