How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-09-2012
backstage pass

I just read that Julia Lange was behind the major Zac Posen casting. What a great job for casting your first big fashion show.

22-09-2012
fashion icon

Not every exclusive will be a star, but isn't that to be expected? You can't come in thinking that all 5 or 6 exclusives are gonna be supermodels. It's just not realistic. If we are gonna talk about the best at casting exclusives these days, I would say that Givenchy & Alexander Wang are the best atm. In recent years, Givenchy has launched the careers of Joan, Saskia, Katryn, Daphne, Stef, etc. There is always at least one girl each season who makes it big.

The best brand at casting in general- Gucci. They are fantastic at choosing the right girls (although I wish there were more girls of color). The show also gives every girl their moment to shine. That's why I will miss the Galliano days at Dior, especially couture. Their castings were always great, & each girl looked like a supermodel.

The worst at casting is Blumarine. All I have to say is- CBN opened the show this season, & Cara Delevigne was in their campaign last season. Nuff said.

22-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
If we are gonna talk about the best at casting exclusives these days, I would say that Givenchy & Alexander Wang are the best atm. In recent years, Givenchy has launched the careers of Joan, Saskia, Katryn, Daphne, Stef, etc. There is always at least one girl each season who makes it big.
Miuccia had her hands on Daphne first.
She was going to be a Prada exclusive for F/W 10.11, but was dropped the morning of the show. She was then promptly booked for the Miu Miu campaign.

She walked for Versus, Giorgio Armani, Marras and some others before Givenchy booked her for the following cruise season.

22-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny609 View Post
I think that the point of MyNameIs wasn't who can produce instant stardom with his runway show. Rather who really puts some effort into casting a coherent group of models, true to his brand's aesthetic vs. who only wants to make some unnecessary noise for the sake of getting a little bit of hype.
Fundamentally the art of casting.

Which is why I absolutely agree with everyone regarding Gucci.

22-09-2012
fashion elite

givenchy mens cast shows are the worst

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
Miuccia had her hands on Daphne first.
She was going to be a Prada exclusive for F/W 10.11, but was dropped the morning of the show. She was then promptly booked for the Miu Miu campaign.
And because it totally slipped my mind (so valliaddict i'm guessing yours too!), Miuccia also booked Katryn before Givenchy. Katryn debuted via Prada Resort 2012

Last edited by *Bianca*; 22-09-2012 at 03:58 PM.
23-09-2012
boop

I'm surprised the discussion hasn't really brought up many casting directors, or stylists yet. They are often the driving forces behind who gets cast as far as shows are concerned- designers give input, have favorites and most certainly specify the type of girl they're looking for, but they've got collections to put together. There are some very talented casting directors out there who really shape the look of each brand.

Also, I don't think every show casting or "exclusive" is done with the intention of picking the next set of supermodels or what have you. Or should be judged on whether or not the exclusives go on to have big careers. If the exclusive girl (or guy) becomes something more then that is wonderful, but sometimes it isn't about that. Especially in this age of semi-exclusives. I think of it more as a sign the model exemplifies the brand's aesthetic sensibilities that season, to the point where they don't want her debuting anywhere else or appearing in too many other shows. Plus it is a way to link a face to the brand, especially if they're new.

Some shows are more important than others, but I don't think of any one show as being a guarantee of future success - especially with newer girls walking tons of shows but not necessarily getting picked for campaigns, top tier editorials, etc.

Interesting what people like and dislike though. Personally, I think the Givenchy men's casting is absolutely brilliant - always diverse, fresh and very distinctive. The combo of Daniel Peddle and Riccardo is absolutely phenomenal and some of the guys they've picked over the years are just incredible in my view.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Luxx; 23-09-2012 at 07:17 AM.
23-09-2012
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
Also, I don't think every show casting or "exclusive" is done with the intention of picking the next set of supermodels or what have you. Or should be judged on whether or not the exclusives go on to have big careers. If the exclusive girl (or guy) becomes something more then that is wonderful, but sometimes it isn't about that. Especially in this age of semi-exclusives. I think of it more as a sign the model exemplifies the brand's aesthetic sensibilities that season, to the point where they don't want her debuting anywhere else or appearing in too many other shows. Plus it is a way to link a face to the brand, especially if they're new.
I do agree with the fact it's not done in order to pick (or even make) the next "top model". But the way agencies handle this issue leaves many people thinking it's going to be like that. Or, at least, accept this odd situation that hurts so many new models for almost nothing. I don't get the point in having exclusives just to link the models to the brand's aesthetic, it just feels like they aren't sure of their choices and need to have these girls for themselves alone or themselves first while it would look exactly the same if they had cast them normally. The age of semi-exclusives is a questionable era (at least to me) and makes the whole deal a little more pointless again.

I do actually like the concept and idea of exclusives when it's done the right way. When it's not systematic. Why this need to do this every season. Why to have ten girls or more while five is already way too much. Once in a while, when it's really obvious, is simply perfect. I mean, the combinations model/brand that truly works are the most awesome thing that can happen on a runway and totally justify an exclusive. Just as Sasha and Prada, that was magical. There are other examples and I'd dare to say Lara and CK fall into that category.

23-09-2012
Zenga Zenga

I also think it would be interesting to post this here. That's actually Faith Akiyama's words from the Model Casting SS2013 thread, I wanted to reply there but felt it was more appropriate to bring it here as there are certainly elements in her post that belongs to a general discussion on the Art of Casting topic. Very interesting point of view, I must say. Needless to say that I totally agree with her statement, even if I think agencies (and also mother agencies, somehow) should think deeper about the issue as whole and, instead of relentlessly competing against each other in a race that leads almost nowhere, should try to find a way to stop that current trend. I'm afraid that's (again) wishful thinking dripping straight from my idealist mind...

Quote:
This season there appears to be the worst cast of "Casting Schizophrenia" than ever before. Marc, CK, Prada each with their own visions (Not a bad thing for the brand necessarily)...if Balenciaga and Givenchy continue the trend, then it's honestly somewhat worrisome for the modeling side of the industry as a whole. The clients already possess overwhelming power, as they have an oversaturated amount of models to choose from every season, and this kind of dilution only lessens the authority of the models/agencies, with long term careers potentially becoming more and more unlikely.

Last edited by penny609; 23-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.
23-09-2012
backstage pass

I must say that I love the Givenchy's casting but I think they are loosing some ground in the last two/three seasons.

I was incredibly surprised with Jil Sander's casting. What a fresh and coherent casting!

V.I.P.

for sure, castings full of "girls of the moment" are a no go for me, it looks more like a top ten newcomer army.. a good casting, as some of you mentionned, is made of girls whose looks embodie the mood of the collection before anything else. also i don't think they even intend to pick up future supermodels, or at least I hope they don't think like that and keep forcused on the brand's aestetic criterias. of course they must feel supermodel potential in one or 2 ladies, such as what may have happened with Sasha at Prada.. thinking of that but not making a direct comparison, I must say picking Moa for Burberry was a double great choice because she totally fits the mood of the collection and well, for me at least, has a true supermodel potential, it reminded me of Prada/Sasha, even if Moa wasn't an excusive at Burberry...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, best or worst, brands, casting