How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-10-2004
V.I.P.

Absolutely!! The situation is bad enough for black models but at least they are represented. Oriental models occur even less frequently but there are a few. Girls from the Indian subcontinent (with the sole exception of Ujjwala) are one in a zillion although hopefully Aishwariya and the Bollywood wave will change that. And what about the ethnicities designers just don't know exist -despite their beauty: Mongols, Aborigines, Native Americans, Inuuits. SHAME on fashion. This is the one area that is the main criticism I have of fashion. I think the great think about fashion is that where it was once divisive (in class terms) it is not an equaliser. A love of fashion brings all women together no matter their background. However it should be more representative. Although there is hope -a few years ago there wouldn't even have been the Latino girls we have today

20-10-2004
front row

My defense is just to not buy anything from labels who categorically ignore diversity. Take Prada for instance. Can someone remind me of the last time they had a non-white model in their show?

It may have been less than a decade ago but that's still too long. You can blame Russel Marsh (casting director) or you can look at the big picture but you won't see me in Prada anytime soon...(although the new parfum smells divine, arghh! )

(or unless they put me in the show, but I prob. have the wrong skin tone for next season's pallete or whatever B$%# S%&$ excuse they come up with!... )

One would hope that these things change but until we stop chalking it up to coincidence and speak out, the bigotry will continue.

20-10-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

true the designers should wake up and notice that minority groups have changed. their buying power has more than doubled...unless of course someoen doesnt want to cheapen the image of their product

i mean ai, naomi, liya and ujiwala>>>

20-10-2004
backstage pass

I just saw a banana republic billboard with an Asian woman on it and i was really surprised...and then I was angry that i was surprised. It shouldn't be so rare that it's shocking to see an Asian on a billboard.

Aside from not buying those who do not use a more diverse array of models we should also support those who do. I love Miguel Adrover's shows because he uses real people who are ALL beautiful because of their diversity and not in spite of it. He also is not caught up over height as an excuse not to use models of different ethnicities. His shows are way more interesting to me than the wildest Galliano show will ever be because of the models he uses and not just because of the clothes. I think he is really bold to do what he does on the runway.

There are a few shows that like to have a look as if the same girl is walking down the runway in each outfit. Okay so it makes a statement on the runway but the people who actually buy the clothes, the actual marketplace, is so diverse that it's actually ridiculous to cater to such a small slice of the market. It seems like alot of designers are trying to appeal to a more diverse audience by creating inexpensive lines. Now they just have to wake up to the realization that we are ethnically diverse and not just economically diverse. I think the designers market a white image because they think white means mainstream and that's where the dollars are. But realistically the mainstream is actually ALL of us. Hip hop fashion taking over the mainstream market should prove to everyone that whites will buy clothing even if the package that sells it is a person of color.
[attachmentid=29637]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00830f.jpg (23.9 KB, 198 views)

22-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by SiennaInLondon@Oct 20 2004, 02:23 PM
And what about the ethnicities designers just don't know exist -despite their beauty: Mongols, Aborigines, Native Americans, Inuuits.
Really, Mongolian people are just so beautiful... That's actually one of the reasons I'd like to go there, to be honest. It's so sad that we keep seeing the same faces over and over in fashion.
I've come up with a bit of theory though about why this is. I was just thinking that although the process has been indeed slow, the film industry does seem to be slightly more open to more people of different backgrounds. Maybe the modeling world is slower to change because it's not as mainstream or on such a huge scale as that of the movies. Outside of fashion circles, who actually knows the names of the major models. In films, the public is more likely to notice and to perhaps care enough to show that they want changes. If more people don't know about or don't seem that interested in modeling, what's going to make them want to change anything? I suppose they do what sells.

22-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by SiennaInLondon@Oct 20 2004, 02:23 PM
And what about the ethnicities designers just don't know exist -despite their beauty: Mongols, Aborigines, Native Americans, Inuuits. SHAME on fashion.
[snapback]402775[/snapback]
I agree with what everyone has said so far, it is a real pity that there isn't more diversity (MUCH more) in fashion - also, designers are really missing out, because there is so much potential in the countries/ ethnicities that they seem to ignore

I actually saw a model from Mongolia a few years ago, I wasn't into fashion then but I remember that she was very pretty - I don't think she made it big, but I still wish I remembered her name

backstage pass

I've defintely wondered this about Prada. For a global brand, there defintely isn't much diversity in their runway shows. Back in 2000, they did use an Asian model in one of the mens shows as seen here:

http://firstview.com/MENspring2000/PRADA/P074.html

but I agree that it does make you wonder....given that Prada is popular amongst the non-white set and certainly has a following that includes many people from diverse backgrounds.

Sometimes I wonder what's worse though...a complete lack of diversity and just using white models only or throwing in the token black/asian/latino model in once every few seasons........

Quote:
Originally posted by Terrima183@Oct 20 2004, 03:41 PM
My defense is just to not buy anything from labels who categorically ignore diversity. Take Prada for instance. Can someone remind me of the last time they had a non-white model in their show?
[snapback]402793[/snapback]

22-10-2004
backstage pass

i also cant stand it when a designer has ONE person of color in their show, usually the "it" model of color (ie liya or ai) and the rest are white...

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
23-10-2004
fashion elite

I saw an Asian girl walking for Hermes..I think. But that's about all.

Proponent of Plaid

To be honest, I can't tell most of these white girls apart. Not to mention some colors just don't look that good on a girl with fair skin and blonde or light brown hair. Just to keep things more interesting and do the clothing justice, there should be more girls of other ethnicities out there--darker skin, different features, a new attitude. Most of the most stylishly-dressed women I know are African-American women, and when you consider that like 30% of the general population of the US is black, but about 2% of the modeling pool is, well, you know they are missing out on a large market and a lot of very beautiful girls.

For the longest, I have argued that there needs to be more diversity in the modelling pool; not only in ethnicity, but in stature---there are some breathtaking short and medium-height women out there, and I still feel that it is incorrect for the high-fashion industry to completely write off the plus-size population. Hello, there are heavyset rich women out there who'd probably spend the big bucks on Dior, Prada, et. al. if those desigers would design for their size ranges and market toward them.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@Oct 23 2004, 09:35 AM
To be honest, I can't tell most of these white girls apart. Not to mention some colors just don't look that good on a girl with fair skin and blonde or light brown hair. Just to keep things more interesting and do the clothing justice, there should be more girls of other ethnicities out there--darker skin, different features, a new attitude. Most of the most stylishly-dressed women I know are African-American women, and when you consider that like 30% of the general population of the US is black, but about 2% of the modeling pool is, well, you know they are missing out on a large market and a lot of very beautiful girls.

For the longest, I have argued that there needs to be more diversity in the modelling pool; not only in ethnicity, but in stature---there are some breathtaking short and medium-height women out there, and I still feel that it is incorrect for the high-fashion industry to completely write off the plus-size population. Hello, there are heavyset rich women out there who'd probably spend the big bucks on Dior, Prada, et. al. if those desigers would design for their size ranges and market toward them.
[snapback]404900[/snapback]
hear, hear to everything you said...clarification, however, the us african american population is arounds 12%

23-10-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by sugarpea@Oct 23 2004, 11:28 AM
hear, hear to everything you said...clarification, however, the us african american population is arounds 12%
[snapback]404942[/snapback]
You know what? I think I had mentally confused the ethnic makeup of my neighborhood with the typical ethnic distribution for the country. In my office, among the service staff like myself, whites (like me) are the minority, and my neighborhood is very integrated, so I am used to seeing people in just about every hue humanly possible. To me, that's how things just ought to look.

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

the most shockign thing is that the only successful indian models i know of are yasmeen and ujiwala!!!

25-10-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 25 2004, 03:28 PM
the most shockign thing is that the only successful indian models i know of are yasmeen and ujiwala!!!
[snapback]406486[/snapback]

as an indian american, im not offended that there are so few indian american models...statistically we make up only 2% of the US population and for cultural reasons, many of them will not pursue modeling as a career...but that said, i DO expect to see more african americans in the modeling industry...statistically there should be more of them!

25-10-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicciolina@Oct 1 2003, 08:00 AM
There are actually many tall Asian girls - it depends which part of Asia (some parts of China have girls who are easily 180cm plus).
[snapback]93613[/snapback]
They're most definitely out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tall.jpg (39.3 KB, 295 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, black, models