How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-10-2004
windowshopping

to be honest...actualy..most Asians..(not Asian Americans) PREFER to look at a model who does not have the typical Asian features...Hooded eyelids, dark skin, long or round face, ..etc... They'd rather look at a model who looks white... Big eyes, etc.... So I'm not surprised Designers haven't emphasized the typical Asian look in their lineup. There's not a big following for that look even for (I'll say Asian natives.

It's often I hear a Filipino mother say, (about newborns) *thank goodness he/she doesn't look too Asian, i.e Chinese* With FIlipino babies, *Chinese looking* babies are kinda like that *red-headed step child* of the caucasian race...I think. And it's not a preferable look. (*from my personal experience*)

25-10-2004
front row

I'm Asian and I definitely 'prefer' to see Chinese/Japanese/Korean type faces because I can relate to them (ie what colours would look good). I think the reason why so many girls want to look caucasian, and idolize caucasian models, is because that's the kind of face we see as the epitome of beauty.

more diversity please

25-10-2004
within an embrace

Quote:
Originally posted by zashikibuta@Oct 25 2004, 11:21 PM
to be honest...actualy..most Asians..(not Asian Americans) PREFER to look at a model who does not have the typical Asian features...Hooded eyelids, dark skin, long or round face, ..etc... They'd rather look at a model who looks white... Big eyes, etc.... So I'm not surprised Designers haven't emphasized the typical Asian look in their lineup.* There's not a big following for that look even for (I'll say Asian natives.

It's often I hear a Filipino mother say, (about newborns) *thank goodness he/she doesn't look too Asian, i.e Chinese** With FIlipino babies, *Chinese looking* babies are kinda like that *red-headed step child* of the caucasian race...I think.* And it's not a preferable look.* (*from my personal experience*)
[snapback]406847[/snapback]
I think I'll have to agree with this to some point - there have been lots of news and reports about the explosion of plastic surgery in Asian countries so people can get more "westernized" features - higher bridges, double-lidded eyes, etc. They even have a pagent for people who've gotten this done. The procedures are generally cheaper than in the US, and mothers AND daughters go together. I knew someone who even said that her mum is pushing her to get eyelid surgery to look more westernized. To many native Asians, they would rather see more "westernized" looking Asian models than the more traditional stereotype.

of course, at the same end, there are a quite a few Asians with more "westernized" features naturally, though - or what would be considered to be "westernized" - double lids, etc.

I'm Asian with some mixed blood, and I don't feel the interest, personally, to see more Asian models except perhaps to balance out the proportions of models in a show - I prefer seeing African, Eastern European, Middle Eastern, Indian, etc - or more "caucasian" looking models in general myself, but that's me. My personal preference.

26-10-2004
windowshopping

/\

Well, what I'm saying is Asians and Asian Americans are very different in tastes, in terms of aspects of beauty.

Based on the people I have met, that's what they feel.

It's a sad thing, but I dont know very many people who admire the Asian *look* unless they're horny old men. (but that's another story)...

26-10-2004
backstage pass

Since the fashion industry and the media in general often define the ideal beauty image it is not surprising that some asians prefer a less "typical Asian" face just as some African AMericans prefer lighter skin or straighter hair. The point is that including a wider range of diverse images would hopefully allow people to embrace their own natural characteristics as well as those of other groups.

26-10-2004
within an embrace

Quote:
Originally posted by zashikibuta+Oct 26 2004, 12:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zashikibuta @ Oct 26 2004, 12:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>/\

Well, what I'm saying is Asians and Asian Americans are very different in tastes, in terms of aspects of beauty.
[snapback]406874[/snapback]
[/b]

That is true, I agree.

<!--QuoteBegin-cerise
@Oct 26 2004, 12:04 AM
Since the fashion industry and the media in general often define the ideal beauty image it is not surprising that some asians prefer a less "typical Asian" face just as some African AMericans prefer lighter skin or straighter hair. The point is that including a wider range of diverse images would hopefully allow people to embrace their own natural characteristics as well as those of other groups.
[snapback]406877[/snapback]
[/quote]

It would be nice to have a wider range of image, I agree. But it depends on what people define as "natural" characteristics.

26-10-2004
Lea
fashion insider

I agree with Zashikibuta... many Asians think there is only one standard of beauty, which is the westernized features like lighter skin, nose etc. Its almost like if they don't have that, then they're not beautiful. Its sad.. they don't really realize that beauty comes in all forms.

26-10-2004
I loved you

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea@Oct 26 2004, 08:38 PM
I agree with Zashikibuta... many Asians think there is only one standard of beauty, which is the westernized features like lighter skin, nose etc. Its almost like if they don't have that, then they're not beautiful. Its sad.. they don't really realize that beauty comes in all forms.
[snapback]407050[/snapback]
It makes me terribly distressed too ... I think it's such a sad thing when people say they hate their black hair color because its not "western" looking... I know several people that would kill for such long silky black hair.

26-10-2004
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Lea@Oct 26 2004, 07:38 PM
[snapback]407050[/snapback]
That is so true, if someone doesn't have big eyes or a pert nose some (sad) people consider them ugly. I find that silly.

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally posted by zashikibuta@Oct 25 2004, 11:21 PM
to be honest...actualy..most Asians..(not Asian Americans) PREFER to look at a model who does not have the typical Asian features...Hooded eyelids, dark skin, long or round face, ..etc... They'd rather look at a model who looks white... Big eyes, etc.... So I'm not surprised Designers haven't emphasized the typical Asian look in their lineup. There's not a big following for that look even for (I'll say Asian natives.

It's often I hear a Filipino mother say, (about newborns) *thank goodness he/she doesn't look too Asian, i.e Chinese* With FIlipino babies, *Chinese looking* babies are kinda like that *red-headed step child* of the caucasian race...I think. And it's not a preferable look. (*from my personal experience*)
[snapback]406847[/snapback]
could it be because they have been brainwashed by the west which they obviously look up to fashionwise that the ethinic look is not trendy?

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 1 2003, 11:40 PM
hi oria how comes the time article cant open?
[snapback]93829[/snapback]

Not to change the subject in this thread...but urban stylin...what is the name of that Janet Jackson video you have playing in your avatar??

Thanks.

26-10-2004
The mod squad

This girl is supposed to be an indian model,but she doesn't look indian
at all,she must be half.

Proponent of Plaid

Whatever her ethnicity is, she's gorgeous! She reminds me of the country-western singer Gretchen Wilson/

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 26 2004, 11:52 AM
could it be because they have been brainwashed by the west which they obviously look up to fashionwise that the ethinic look is not trendy?
[snapback]407371[/snapback]
that's what i was getting at earlier

26-10-2004
backstage pass

Bingo. And sadly, it extends way beyond fashion.

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Stylin@Oct 26 2004, 03:52 PM
[snapback]407371[/snapback]

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, black, models