V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten
She looks very tired.

20-01-2005
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueva
She looks unbelievable in this pic. I think that's one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen of Kiara... don't you think?
true. though i saw her on oprah recently and she looked more like a normal person not too thin and all. Has she stopped modelling or has that been her usual look?

20-01-2005
fashion elite

I never really see any tall asian people... maybe that's why there is a limited amount of them as highfashion models?

As for black and darker skinned models.... I have no idea why.... it seems that porcelain doll look is really in lately and it's going to be that way for a while

20-01-2005
fashion elite

Don't tell me you guys don't know who Beverly Peele is

I know she hasn't had much work as of late..... but she is absolutely breathtaking...
Originally from Seattle Washington (my hometown!)... attended John Robert Powers, Seattle.... and made it on the cover of 100's of magazines

20-01-2005
fashion elite

More of Beverly....

....her daughter is modeling now

21-01-2005
scenester

i would love to see a black or at least mixed race guy in a dior homme show. i'm mixed race and if i saw a model that looked more like me in the shows i'd definately be encouraged to go and buy somesthing, i mean the clothes are great but they only show them and skinny white guys (no descimination there)

21-01-2005
backstage pass

Well, sad to say that's who their target demographic is....sometimes I wonder though, is it better if the designer simply leaves out non-white models altogether versus throwing in the token black/asian/latino model simply as lip service.....I think you are much more likely to see a mixed race model than a black one in a show like dior homme....again the mitigating factors as to why the mixed race model will come first are obvious to everyone....and that's sad too....but part of modeling is a bit of mystery/difference so they get these models that you ask...hmm, what's he or she....it seems that a lot of black models that are out there and get play are of the lighter persuasion (especially when i watch the mens shows).........that's not surprising as they offer a less threatening (to the established white masses) image of a black person (even though they may be only half black....you know, one drop rule).....

Furthermore some people are simply turned off by the presence of minorities and having them wear/support a brand.this is why its hard to get non-whites on covers of mainstream mags, etc....they (whites and i am generalizing here so no flames) won't pick up a magazine with a black/indian/chinese person on the cover...whereas many members of those groups will read and buy mags with whites on the cover....that's what happens when one is seeminly dominant and its reflective of who is in the power positions at these mags/labels..also look at some of the threads here where *urban* brands are dismissed without discussion but there's a 10 page thread on how great some washed up has been white designer is...and he/she continually gets a chance to fail and try again....not so much for the designer of color...its takes quite some time before the fashion *elite* will take you seriously.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galliano guy
i would love to see a black or at least mixed race guy in a dior homme show. i'm mixed race and if i saw a model that looked more like me in the shows i'd definately be encouraged to go and buy somesthing, i mean the clothes are great but they only show them and skinny white guys (no descimination there)

21-01-2005
within an embrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory
Furthermore some people are simply turned off by the presence of minorities and having them wear/support a brand.this is why its hard to get non-whites on covers of mainstream mags, etc....they (whites and i am generalizing here so no flames) won't pick up a magazine with a black/indian/chinese person on the cover...whereas many members of those groups will read and buy mags with whites on the cover....that's what happens when one is seeminly dominant and its reflective of who is in the power positions at these mags/labels..also look at some of the threads here where *urban* brands are dismissed without discussion but there's a 10 page thread on how great some washed up has been white designer is...and he/she continually gets a chance to fail and try again....not so much for the designer of color...its takes quite some time before the fashion *elite* will take you seriously.......
This IS sadly true, but I find it vaguely ironic, as Asians are HUGE consumers of designer products...

23-01-2005
scenester

yeah come to think of it i can only think of one black designer in the fashion *elite* and thats ozwald boateng (does his own lable and givenchy homme) and i think one of the editors of vogue or something (andre leon tally) well he's black

and btw i WILL make dior homme suit me lol and on the whole dior homme runway models not being of ethnic minorities i remember in some of there collections there were asian (oriental) looking models so i spose they use the models who the clothes are targeted at

25-02-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueva
check this out... exquisite!
Kiara is stunning

25-02-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsten
Jessica White!

Is she in this years SI?

25-02-2005
Hoppity Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modelgirlie
Is she in this years SI?
Yes.

25-02-2005
tfs star

i am glad that there are more black models that are doing well like mimi roche,liya,januel,and more incase i forgot

25-02-2005
tfs star

She is doing well to Sessilee Lopez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croppedsessille.jpg (22.5 KB, 2796 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled81.jpg (47.8 KB, 2786 views)

25-02-2005
front row

I think Asian models are what are really lacking - while black models aren't as common as the caucasians, there are still exponentially greater numbers of black models. Ford Models actually has a few beautiful Asian models on its roster, but I would like to see more in magazines.

I've got to say, to those Filipino mothers that mentioned hoping their kids didn't look Chinese - you're stupid. Chinese babies are among the cutest kids in the entire planet

And in regards to As You Like It saying that there should be more 'full figured' models... I disagree. Designer clothes are designed for slender women that look beautiful, tall, and striking on the runway. Fashion houses make almost all their revenue off of Perfume sales and 'branding', not selling clothes. Most designers design for that frame, and I doubt any of them would be willing to start designing for a shorter, fatter woman. If they started using short and fat models, they'd probably lose a lot of money. The fashion magazines would bash them, fashion elitists would bash them, all for what?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, black, models