How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-09-2003
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Asian And Black Models
I know this is stale news but in case you ve noticed black and asian models are being given a raw deal.There are many models of chinese,arab,african,somali etc descent who only end up becoming commercial or even never really making it.
The only asian mod on the top 50 is ai and maybe devon as for blacks we have about 6!
What do you think is to blame the models,designers or fashion people like editors and others or even the general public and their negative attitudes to these races?
Tell me whats on your mind.

30-09-2003
chaos reigns

Well .. as far as I know ... designers pick the models ... though I don't share the "it's XXXX to blame" for it ... I'm the proactive kind of person ... don't shop from brands you differ values with ...

backstage pass

i understand where you coming from, Equana, but things are becoming different lately. i mean, Estee lauder is using Liya as their cover girl! that's progress, IMO.
mags like US Elle use black/latin models in every issue. With Asian models is not as simple, may be because it's easier to find a very tall Scandinavian or Slavic girl than a very tall Asian girl, although that's changing little by little too.
at the same time, magazines like Honey or Essence don't usually use non-black models, from what i've saw, so it's all depends on the marketing, IMo...

30-09-2003
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Serena@Sep 30th, 2003 - 10:15 am
i understand where you coming from, Equana, but things are becoming different lately. i mean, Estee lauder is using Liya as their cover girl! that's progress, IMO.
mags like US Elle use black/latin models in every issue. With Asian models is not as simple, may be because it's easier to find a very tall Scandinavian or Slavic girl than a very tall Asian girl, although that's changing little by little too.
at the same time, magazines like Honey or Essence don't usually use non-black models, from what i've saw, so it's all depends on the marketing, IMo...
Essence Magazine like Latina Magazine were created for a market that was often overlooked, so I wouldn't expect to find non-black/Latina models and or people in their mags unless its pure advertisement. Now Latina magazine is kind of dates, because there is Vogue Espanol, Glamour Espanol etc. But before they decided to do this there was a need.

Honey Magazine has changed it's target market too many times to comment, but I've seen black, Latina, Asian models in their mag.

I still find some things wierd, in a global and diverse world as we have (to me) there should be no "firsts" especially not in fashion.

Here is an interesting slide show on race and fashion, gives a timeline.

Time Magazine

V.I.P.

you forgot Ai, she's in the top 50 too

01-10-2003
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally posted by eguana@Sep 30th, 2003 - 7:03 am
I know this is stale news but in case you ve noticed black and asian models are being given a raw deal.There are many models of chinese,arab,african,somali etc descent who only end up becoming commercial or even never really making it.
The only asian mod on the top 50 is ai and maybe devon as for blacks we have about 6!
What do you think is to blame the models,designers or fashion people like editors and others or even the general public and their negative attitudes to these races?
Tell me whats on your mind.
Well apart from ai theres really no one else even devon decided to run to movies.I think we are just living indenial but theres a very serious issue here.

fashion icon

There are actually many tall Asian girls - it depends which part of Asia (some parts of China have girls who are easily 180cm plus). I find it hard to ever imagine any Asian models on the cover of magazines or any print advertisements - someone mentioned Liya and Naomi, who both have done very well. Ai is doing some, but unfortunately, I don't think she'll be given a Vogue cover anytime soon I don't think one can blame any one person/group of people on this.

01-10-2003
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicciolina@Oct 1st, 2003 - 8:00 am
There are actually many tall Asian girls - it depends which part of Asia (some parts of China have girls who are easily 180cm plus). I find it hard to ever imagine any Asian models on the cover of magazines or any print advertisements - someone mentioned Liya and Naomi, who both have done very well. Ai is doing some, but unfortunately, I don't think she'll be given a Vogue cover anytime soon I don't think one can blame any one person/group of people on this.
Ai was on a cover of Surface, i believe, last year. Vogue lately hardly has any models on a cover at all, it's all celebrities anyway!

02-10-2003
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

hi oria how comes the time article cant open?

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by eguana@Oct 2nd, 2003 - 1:40 am
hi oria how comes the time article cant open?
I dunno, it was there and opening when I posted it (sorry about that), perhaps they only keep links open for a certain amount of time, but Liya Kebede was the first face you saw and it went through a timeline of Black women in fashion.

Try this maybe this will help, if you try it today lol.

http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

thanks

ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

that was some article!Actually all their articles are really nice and the photos are very clear!
Yall shd go to the site

Meg
inspired contemplation

I'm disappointed that their aren't more native americans in the modelling industry. I think they are actually an untapped modelling resource. I'm from a place with a high aboriginal population and many are VERY slender and have high cheekbones, good complexions and nice long dark hair. Not saying all natives do however i have seen the slender/cheekbones trait runs through many.

04-10-2003
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally posted by mehg@Oct 3rd, 2003 - 9:14 am
I'm disappointed that their aren't more native americans in the modelling industry. I think they are actually an untapped modelling resource. I'm from a place with a high aboriginal population and many are VERY slender and have high cheekbones, good complexions and nice long dark hair. Not saying all natives do however i have seen the slender/cheekbones trait runs through many.
I haven't seen that many tall native americans .. I mean .. have you see the ones from mayan/aztec descent? They're short!
About the high cheekbones and the straight black hair ... you're so right!
*feels proud of being 1/4 native american*

Meg
inspired contemplation

Quote:
Originally posted by blumarine+Oct 4th, 2003 - 1:30 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blumarine @ Oct 4th, 2003 - 1:30 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mehg@Oct 3rd, 2003 - 9:14 am
I haven't seen that many tall native americans .. I mean .. have you see the ones from mayan/aztec descent? They're short!
About the high cheekbones and the straight black hair ... you're so right!
*feels proud of being 1/4 native american* [/b][/quote]
hehe you should feel proud! Well I'm from Canada, and the ones where I'm from range in height from short to tall. not just short!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
asian, black, models