How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-08-2012
fashion elite

queen daria definitely, her latest vogue paris ed proves that!

21-08-2012
V.I.P.

Karlie Kloss
Shannan Click

tfs star

Sophie Vlaming

this girl does NOT take a bad picture, ever..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfinkova View Post
I have to say Jessica Miller is a personal favorite of mine. She is a chameleon in print. She's so expressive and her movement is incredible. I especially love her shoots with I&V- they utilize her to her full ability.l
Thank you for posting pictures! brings some quality to a thread that seems to be yet another version of 'what's your favorite model'. Just names that can be spotted in signatures, zero mentions of why she's the "best" editorial model.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a "best editorial model". Great model, yes, but it's all about getting the right bookings, being that kind of model that also understands the concept of an editorial from an intellectual standpoint.. and lucking out in starring in an editorial that at least has some intellectual background to begin with.. so much vapid junk these days. Having a dozen Mert & Marcus/I&V stories or some editorials that came out decently doesn't make anyone outstanding for me.. more like an official member of the hype machinery.

Of that limited bunch of models that do evidently bring more than just body to stories, I agree with Guinevere, Malgosia, Stella Tennant.. Kirsten Owen, Hannelore, Lara.. Raquel, occasionally Natasha (her work looks versatile in hindsight and she has many hits with the likes of Willy Vanderperre, but also a ton of vulgar eyesores).

There are also those that come out good in editorials, but don't really do that many editorials to speak for some kind of print 'superiority' (Vlada, Daga, Denisa, Iselin, Kasia..), and then those that are good in what they do (sexy, obscure, girlie, you name it) but haven't explored or looked believable in anything besides that (Karlie, Candice, Coco, Daphne..).

I do agree that Sophie Vlaming and Kel Markey are the girls working with the most talented teams of people right now (not necessarily the most famous or cash-machines, just the ones daring to push the envelope a little). Kel Markey's look/work is still far from being commercial-friendly so there's still a lot to see but Sophie Vlaming is definitely someone that continually manages to look just right in every story regardless of the mood or budget.

Last edited by MulletProof; 23-08-2012 at 12:23 AM.
24-08-2012
tfs star

Daria Werbowy, Mariacarla, Marie Piovesan and lately Meghan Collison has been rocking everythig she does.

fashion elite

i have to add raquel, sasha, coco, karen along with daria as best editorial girls. also lady evangelista.

26-08-2012
backstage pass

Daria Werbowy
Katie Fogarty
Vika Falileeva
Karlie Kloss
Karolina Kurkova
Daria Strokous
Julia Frauche
Anne Vyalitsyna
Hilary Rhoda
Natasha Poly
Daria Strokous
Laura Kampman
Lara Stone
Valentina Zelyaeva
Guinevere Van Seenus
Lara Mullen
Julia Nobis
Karlina Caune
Daphne Groeneveld
Nadja Bender
Elza Luijendijk
Ophelie Rupp
Nadja Auermann
Natalia Vodianova
Sasha Pivovarova
Gemma Ward
Marie Piovesan
Karen Elson
Linda Evangelista

29-08-2012
fashion icon

Totally agree with MulletProof that it seems like some stans are just putting their favorite models instead of who they think are "The Best" editorially from a unbiased view. Like, with me Jourdan Dunn is my absolute favorite model but objectively, i wouldn't consider her "the best".

Imo, the "best" are those who can step out of their look & be versatile; pose, taking all kinds of risks & being uninhibited; bring a certain magnetic energy their own personality & emote whatever feeling they are trying to project & make it believable.

here are a few current one (i know there are a ton out there but these are just examples off the top of my head):
Karlie Kloss - from the beginning, this girl could emote & move better than her any one of her contemparies. And you can tell that she absolutely loooves modelling; like she lives, breathes, dreams it
Coco Rocha - Coco always bring that energy you can't help but respond to
Natasha Poly - what can i say, she just brings it
Gemma Ward - she was very versatile & even with that babydoll look, she could pull off numerous looks
Saskia de Brauw - i'll admit, i'm not much of a fan of her type of beauty (androgyny), but in front of the cameras she soo graceful & can be quite the bombshell.
Chanel Iman - i don't "get" her in person but i must admit, in pictures, she photographs like a dream

On a side note, i don't know about anyone else but i've notice that some models who are considered "stunners" or "classically pretty" are probably the biggest letdown in pics. Amazing on the runways, but safe in edits.. like they're just resting on pretty. I'm not gonna be rude & mention names in fear of all the obsessive fans

Last edited by modelista; 29-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.
29-08-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelista View Post
Imo, the "best" are those who can step out of their look & be versatile; pose, taking all kinds of risks & being uninhibited; bring a certain magnetic energy their own personality & emote whatever feeling they are trying to project & make it believable.
When I thought about what model could be described by that paragraph, the first name that came into my mind was Querelle Jansen. My mind did not decieve me - if you look at her portfolio, she has something for everyone, and in each picture, she makes it believable.

monstermgmt
These are all very different editorials, and in each one of them she convinces, sells, and looks good in the process. A model is a saleswoman in a certain way, and she's selling those looks like the kids were hungry and the rent was due tomorrow. She's what younger aspiring models should look up to.

29-08-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Totally agree with MulletProof that it seems like some stans are just putting their favorite models instead of who they think are "The Best" editorially from a unbiased view. Like, with me Jourdan Dunn is my absolute favorite model but objectively, i wouldn't consider her "the best".

i totally agree with your definition of a great editorial model but i think it's actually a matter of opinions, you just can't say one model is technically better than the other

for instance.. i disagree about Jourdan, her portfolio is quite impressive and diverse.. Meisel, Knight, Sims, Roversi, etc. and she nails it in every look or mood, i really think she has a natural talent at posing and emoting
imo editorials are definitely her stronger aspect since she doesn't really stands out as a runway model

models

Karlie and Coco can do all the jumping and crazy faces they want but i just don't see any substance there , i've realized this especially with Karlie who has had a lot of print work lately and all i see is the same expressions and poses again and again.. and Natasha who always looks great in print but she also always does a similar look, is the runway where both girls really shine for me

30-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
You are describing Aymeline and Guinevere
I can't help but love them, partially because they are absolute editorial queens. Their work speaks for itself. I can lecture everyone about why that is but i'm sure everyone who's interested in both models already knows it.

And I do think it's a subjective matter, because from the models you mentioned there are also several I wouldn't consider great editorial talents either.

30-08-2012
fashion insider

Snejana Onopka, Sasha Pivovarova, Kate Moss, Du Juan, Vlada Roslyakova, Arizona Muse, Anna Jagodzinska, Gemma Ward, Liu Wen, Daria Stokous, Guinevere van Seenus, Sun Fei Fei, Magdalena Frackwiak

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee MG Tisci View Post
i totally agree with your definition of a great editorial model but i think it's actually a matter of opinions, you just can't say one model is technically better than the other

for instance.. i disagree about Jourdan, her portfolio is quite impressive and diverse.. Meisel, Knight, Sims, Roversi, etc. and she nails it in every look or mood, i really think she has a natural talent at posing and emoting
imo editorials are definitely her stronger aspect since she doesn't really stands out as a runway model

Karlie and Coco can do all the jumping and crazy faces they want but i just don't see any substance there , i've realized this especially with Karlie who has had a lot of print work lately and all i see is the same expressions and poses again and again.. and Natasha who always looks great in print but she also always does a similar look, is the runway where both girls really shine for me
I don't mean to offend you. Please don't misunderstand me since all I was saying was even thought I personally LOVE Jourdan, I can step back & objectively say that I wouldn't consider her "the best" at the moment. I just think I would have to see more work from her to put her up there with the best.

I did NOT mean to imply that I thought her portfolio was lacking diversity, or that she hasn't worked with impressive people, or even that I thought she was a bad model cuz I really do find her to be pretty amazing

Anyway, it really is a matter of subjectivity cuz I appreciate a girl that can gracefully work her angles, create movements & has a wide range of expression...

Source: models.com

I find it really inspiring & quite dynamic

Last edited by modelista; 01-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
02-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
I don't mean to offend you. Please don't misunderstand me since all I was saying was even thought I personally LOVE Jourdan, I can step back & objectively say that I wouldn't consider her "the best" at the moment. I just think I would have to see more work from her to put her up there with the best.

I did NOT mean to imply that I thought her portfolio was lacking diversity, or that she hasn't worked with impressive people, or even that I thought she was a bad model cuz I really do find her to be pretty amazing
there was no offense at all!, i just responded bc i disagreed with your remark on Jourdan and also bc i am indeed her fan and mentioned her before on this thread but that doesn't mean that i did it only for being my fave, i actually became a fan exactly bc of her print work.. imo there's nothing wrong in people posting their faves if they really think they're great editorial models

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

MY TOP FIVE:
1- Guinevere Van Seenus

2- Querelle Jansen

3- Anais Pouliot

4- Mariacarla Boscono

5- Elise Crombez

[vogue.fr, interviewmagazine.com, vogue.it, barriehullegie.com]

Tags
editorial, models