How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-07-2011
front row

Does the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue mean anything?
Other than getting some temporary mainstream recognition, does being in the SI swimsuit issue actually do anything for a model's career?

15-07-2011
fashion elite

commercially, si does a lot for a model's career. if u think about tyra bank, heidi klum, kathy ireland etc

15-07-2011
fashion elite

It means you have big boobs.

15-07-2011
TNF
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
Other than getting some temporary mainstream recognition, does being in the SI swimsuit issue actually do anything for a model's career?
Ask Heidi Klum. Or Kate Upton (quite new, but also booming). :p

Heidi Klum is VERY mainstream, but 'temporary recognition'... nah.

Last edited by TNF; 15-07-2011 at 10:21 AM.
15-07-2011
V.I.P.

being in/on SI means that most model fans here will have interest in them (most fans here don't like T&A )

but for bookers i think it means that they look commercial enough to 'cross over'. i don't think that the SI girls look cheap, it's certainly a bigger achievement to land on the swimsuit issue of SI than on Maxim or FHM, there's more prestige to it.

15-07-2011
V.I.P.

For me it means Playboy without exposed genitals.

boop

I means a great deal for a model's career if they are managed correctly after the fact. It is a gateway to the kind of mainstream recognition that can keep you in the public eye and rolling in the dough for years to come. Within the high fashion realm is it a meaningful accomplishment? Probably not, but if you want to be more than just another high fashion model, that kind of recognition is going to help you.

Look at the previous cover stars - Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Brooklyn Decker, Petra Nemcova, Rebecca Romijn, etc. If you're that kind of model that wants to branch out into other things - be it acting, or talk shows, or even just being a business woman, there really aren't many platforms for exposure that are better. We can ooh and aah over foreign Vogue covers all we want on tFS (as we should, since they are usually far superior in terms of artistry) but the average person isn't going to know who those girls are.

So in short it really depends on what the model wants to do with the exposure she gets from it - but as a platform for launching into other things SI can be very beneficial to a girl's career.

15-07-2011
front row

But it seems that for every model listed who went on to have a wildly successful career post-SI, there are three or more who didn't really have much of a career boost at all post-SI.

boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega Magnus View Post
But it seems that for every model listed who went on to have a wildly successful career post-SI, there are three or more who didn't really have much of a career boost at all post-SI.
Couldn't the same be said about every single opportunity presented to models? People make a big whoop about opening Prada, but no one success guarantees anything. No matter the situation, only a few models really stick around.

Also, not everyone necessarily even WANTS to spend the rest of their lives in the public eye, a lot of girls have lives outside of fashion that are their primary focus.

1996 – Valeria Mazza and Tyra Banks - Tyra is now a mogul, Valeria is married with four children.

1997 – Tyra Banks - see above

1998 – Heidi Klum - Heidi now a mogul

1999 – Rebecca Romijn - Reasonably successful Hollywood actress, doesn't really model anymore.

2000 – Daniela Pestova - correct me if I'm wrong but I believe she also took time off to have children.

2001 – Elsa Benitez - Took time off, got married, had children

2002 – Yamila Diaz - Actually not sure about this, if anyone has info on where she is right now I'd appreciate it.

2003 – Petra Němcová - Went on to be a TV host, still has pretty good mainstream name recognition compared to most models.

2004 – Veronica Varekova - Focuses primarily on philanthropy moreso than modeling right now.

2005 – Carolyn Murphy - still iconic in the industry, does more high fashion work and always has her Estee contract

2006 – All-star Past Cover Models: Veronica Varekova, Elle Macpherson,
Rebecca Romijn, Rachel Hunter, Daniela Pestova, Elsa Benitez,
Carolyn Murphy, Yamila Diaz; inset Heidi Klum, Maria Sharapova - N/A they were all pretty famous already

2007 – Beyoncé Knowles; inset Bar Refaeli - N/A Beyonce is a singer

2008 – Marisa Miller - Interesting case, for a moment she had it all when it came to the sexy market. Then her husband became her manager...

2009 – Bar Refaeli; inset Brooklyn Decker - Household names at this point.

2010 – Brooklyn Decker - Currently moving up the Hollywood ladder, but will likely (IMO) become more of an actress.

2011 – Irina Shayk - Jury is still out, but she's definitely not going anywhere.

But yeah, I think that SI is an amazing opportunity, but like every thing else in life it is about what you do with that opportunity. How you handle it - whether you make the most of it, etc.

As for being inside the issue (non-cover status), I think it is great but it is the more commercial equivalent of being in a very high profile magazine once or twice.

Last edited by Luxx; 15-07-2011 at 04:07 PM.
15-07-2011
backstage pass

When Julie Taylor or whatever her name was, was SI's Swimsuit issue editor, it was a great vehicle to get high fashion models some exposure to the general populace. Most people remember Cheryl Tiegs for her SI covers not her Vogue covers. Kathy Ireland was on the cover of Vogue way before she was on the SI cover. And Christy Brinkley was doing campaigns for Chanel fragrance, French Vogue, etc. before she appeared on SI.
Now, there isn't a single high fashion girl who does SI. It's strictly commercial models. Being on the cover can help a career. Look at Brooklyn Decker, who is now doing movies. But most of the girls now are not well known before they appear in SI and continue to be somewhat obsure afterward.
If anything VS, not SI, is now the commercial vehicle for the high fashion gals and adds a new dimension to a girls career.

15-07-2011
fashion icon

Twenty years ago, SI was the ultimate jackpot for models. Now, it just mean you are in line to become another top athlete's arm candy.

15-07-2011
V.I.P.

^yeah i feel like back then, just like with Playboy those magazines werent always looked at as this extremely exposed and raunchy magazine. Since Americans can't help themselves it was overly sexed up. French Playboy to me seems to still have that old school class to it.

as for model's careers... i think it's kind of a last choice thing. Most HF girls now who have done SI were at the end of their rope... with the exception of Hilary who probably wants to branch out into all aspects ex. Cintia Dicker

it'll be interesting to see who gets the cover next year

16-07-2011
fashion elite

I think it does many things like was mentioned. It gets your name out there way more than Vogue covers. I think models who want to become actresses, hosts etc really look into getting on the cover or in the issue.

16-07-2011
hors concours♛

It once was huge for a models career but I don't know lately I feel like it doesn't do anything. It doesn't seem SI is producing anymore stars like it once did. Marisa Milller probably being the last big SI model. Many of the girls have the chance to be bigger but it seems they just do SI one time a year,go to events and that's their career. IMO only doing that will never make the next Heidi Klum or Kathy Ireland. Even the classic SI girls didn't just to SI. They actually did a fair share of high fashion too. Hilary Rhoda is the best one around these days.

well said woem!

SI swim wasn't always a Maxim/FHM equivalent. I miss the great photography,landscapes,scenery,models,etc...Its all cheap now.

Last edited by michelabella; 16-07-2011 at 12:04 PM.
16-07-2011
backstage pass

I do think SI does wonders for a model. Look a kate upton who hasn't even started yet, and the girls before her.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
illustrated, issue, sports, swimsuit