How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-02-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

i thnk the campiness was intentional it was inspired by those 70s extremes, I did enjoy it actually despite the fact that the clothes were not the highlight. I saw so many new faces

24-02-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydon View Post
it wasn't the most sophisticated show i've ever seen but most of the girls just looked like they were having so much fun. and it was great to see so many beautiful black models all in one place. i loved the campiness of it all.
EXACTLY, I didn't even look at the clothes all I saw were beautiful black models having a ball, something that we have never seen! Especially a show that received press and from the audeince reaction it was enjoyed by all!

24-02-2011
front row

Quote:
it wasn't the most sophisticated show i've ever seen but most of the girls just looked like they were having so much fun. and it was great to see so many beautiful black models all in one place. i loved the campiness of it all.
I'm not sure what to think of it. Sure, all of the models were gorgeous and looked like they had a ball; but with so much talk about fashion not being diverse enough, I can't help but wonder how a runway filled with only black models is any better than a runway filled with only white models.

I realize that this specific show was Diana Ross inspired and I understand why the designer might be inclined to utilize only black models. However, recently I've been feeling like some aspects of fashion are simply becoming segregated, not "diverse". I really do not understand why Vogue Italia prints "Black" issues and has a section of their website designated "Black". They surely have good intentions, but don't they realize that by doing this they are only creating somewhat of a greater divide?

I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from. I don't even know if I'm posting this in the correct thread but I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

25-02-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTalker View Post
I'm not sure what to think of it. Sure, all of the models were gorgeous and looked like they had a ball; but with so much talk about fashion not being diverse enough, I can't help but wonder how a runway filled with only black models is any better than a runway filled with only white models.

I realize that this specific show was Diana Ross inspired and I understand why the designer might be inclined to utilize only black models. However, recently I've been feeling like some aspects of fashion are simply becoming segregated, not "diverse". I really do not understand why Vogue Italia prints "Black" issues and has a section of their website designated "Black". They surely have good intentions, but don't they realize that by doing this they are only creating somewhat of a greater divide?

I hope you'll understand where I'm coming from. I don't even know if I'm posting this in the correct thread but I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.
I so understand where you're coming from. It's like on the one hand we should be happy they're being featured etc but on the other they seem to be patronising us by featuring them in cliche'd or gimmicky black-only spreads or runway shows. Which as you said is making for more segregation than integration.

Asian models seem not to have this prob as they're included in everything blue-chip quite easily and without the slightest bat of the eye. Black models on the other hand - major adjustments and shuffles have to be made. They are accessories usually or heralded like some novelty with a write-up akin second coming which shouldn't be the case.

27-02-2011
V.I.P.

^ I somewhat agree with you about the black model being featured in everything together. However, with the exception of Liu, Sun fei fei, shu pei, and occasionally Tao - I'm not really seeing that many asian girls on runways either. then for the black girls you have joan, chanel, jourdan, anais, and maybe ajak and melodie booking the better runway shows.

I wonder what a statistically diverse show what look like. I don't expect all shows to look like that because I understand designers have a certain "type" of woman they are dressing, but I can't help but wonder...

27-02-2011
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

saw this model on the benetton casting site and i gott say she has one awesome look!

casting.benetton.com

introd Ruby

27-02-2011
fashion elite

^omg that is so bad

27-02-2011
front row

LOL @ Fantastical. Brutal honesty, eh? The fashion show was tacky in many respects, but I cant help but love it because of the lack of color on runways.

And @ astrotalker, you raised some excellent points! I so agree with you!!! The all black issues do disturb me, not only because of the segregation, but also because its like they say well we'll give them this so they can be complacent and shut up about the lack of diversity.

27-02-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Stylin View Post
saw this model on the benetton casting site and i gott say she has one awesome look!

casting.benetton.com

introd Ruby

She is BEAUTIFUL!

27-02-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastical View Post
^ I somewhat agree with you about the black model being featured in everything together. However, with the exception of Liu, Sun fei fei, shu pei, and occasionally Tao - I'm not really seeing that many asian girls on runways either. then for the black girls you have joan, chanel, jourdan, anais, and maybe ajak and melodie booking the better runway shows.

I wonder what a statistically diverse show what look like. I don't expect all shows to look like that because I understand designers have a certain "type" of woman they are dressing, but I can't help but wonder...
I have been wondering my whole career.

28-02-2011
V.I.P.

Gorgeous model! She needs a thread ASAP!

05-03-2011
the mysteries

Can anyone ID these models?

Thanks!

style

06-03-2011
front row

wow. I loveee the second one!!!

06-03-2011
windowshopping

Hi hun :-) The first one is Nala Diagouraga. She is originally from Mali and signed with Slides in Paris. The other girl looks insanely beautiful o_O
Quote:
Can anyone ID these models?

Thanks!

style

Last edited by Blasian; 06-03-2011 at 11:53 AM.

06-03-2011
the mysteries

^gracias!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, african, black, favourite, models