How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-08-2010
tfs star

^ Gorgeous

23-08-2010
fashion elite

Wow Grace Jones overload... must know her name...

23-08-2010
fashion icon

Jourdan Dunn

23-08-2010
V.I.P.

is this Sess? ae.com

23-08-2010
front row

^ Sure looks like her.

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

^ Yes, I agree.

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

#90. Her cheekbones are to die for!

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbenson View Post
#90. Her cheekbones are to die for!

Aren't they!?

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

Ka'Neis (source: Models International NY) #2628

25-08-2010
V.I.P.

Kimoi Davis

Height: 5' 8" (173cm) | Bust: 33" (84cm) | Waist: 24" (61cm) | Hips: 35" (89cm) | Dress: 4 | Shoes: 9 | Hair: Brown | Eyes: Brown

same source

27-08-2010
tfs star

Joan and Chanel for Fashion's Night Out PSA

Source: http://jakandjil.com/blog/

27-08-2010
tfs star

The beautiful Lois Samuels (Jamaica)
Signed to Q Models NYC

Source: http://www.qmanagementinc.com/

27-08-2010
V.I.P.

^ She stunning! I posted some pic in the first model thread.

Tenee Nelson

Height: 5'10 | Cup: B | Waist: 26" | Hips: 37" | Shoe: 8 (US) | Hair: Brown | Eyes: Brown

secure.modelmayhem.com/122278

27-08-2010
V.I.P.

Adrienne Knight

Height: 5' 9" | Cup: B | Waist: 22" | Hips: 34" | Shoe: 8 | Hair: Black | Eyes: Black

modelmayhem.com/396801

27-08-2010
V.I.P.

Malana
Quote:

Brazilian Beauty

An interview with model Malana
Brazilian Fashion Consultant Erika Palomino recently told the New York Times, “I was always perplexed that Brazil was never able to export a Naomi Campbell, and it is definitely not because of a lack of pretty women…it is embarrassing.” Over the years fair-skinned blondes like Gisele Bundchen, have really come to symbolize the idea of Brazilian beauty both within Brazil and abroad, leaving the majority of the Brazilian population, in its glorious explosion of color, completely unrepresented in the fashion world. There is however the sense that things are finally beginning to change, especially when one meets Malana, the exquisite black model with the shaved head currently causing quite a stir in the Brazilian fashion scene. Her life is perhaps best described as a string of distant dreams which she audaciously makes come true. The warmth in her voice and the genuine attitude with which she approaches everyone and everything, make her even more excruciatingly beautiful. Her story takes us from the stoplights of São Paulo to the runaways of São Paulo Fashion Week, leaving no doubt that there’s simply no stopping this one.
Ines: Did you always want to be a model?
Malana: I always liked the idea of being a model but it wasn’t an option for me because I had to help my family financially from a very young age. I didn’t really have much exposure to the fashion world growing up, except for sometimes skimming through fashion magazines in newsstands. At the age of 14, I started to understand more about what it meant to be a model and I became interested in the profession. I saw all those beautiful women, looking gorgeous and so powerful… walking down the runaway, in the midst of all that glamor with thousands of cameras flashing. Every kid is enchanted by that image. So in the same way that every boy growing up in Brazil wants to be a soccer player, I had the same sort of distant dream.
Ines: So you began working at a very young age?
Malana: I come from a really big family of 6 brothers and sisters, and my grandmother and mother raised us. Our childhood was difficult and complex because we essentially grew up without a father figure. It was tough and my mother worked hard to support us. I started working at the age of 13, distributing pamphlets to people in their cars, while they were waiting at stoplights. That was a really hard time in my life.
Ines: So how did you end up modeling?
Malana: I actually started modeling with my younger sister. I took her by the hand and we went to an agency. But in the end, she felt that it wasn’t for her. It’s really funny because I always saw her as the model…she has perfect teeth and perfect skin. But I’m the one who ended up sticking with the career. There was no scout that found me on the streets. Modeling was really something that I sought out on my own.

Ines: Was your family supportive of your career?
Malana: In the beginning, they weren’t very present in my modeling career, and after a while, as I grew in the industry, they started to understand what I was doing and what I wanted. They began to gain a better grasp of my world. Nowadays things have really changed. My grandmother, for instance, will call me up and ask me to bring photos of the work I’ve been doing. She’ll be really disappointed if I don’t bring her any images. I always feel that it’s very difficult for people outside of the fashion industry to understand the role of a model, and over the years my family has definitely gained a better understanding of my work.
Ines: Your shaved head has really become your signature style…
Malana: Yeah…I actually used to have a huge Afro and one night I dreamed that I was bald. At that time I really wanted to change my hairstyle, and I was thinking of getting dreads or dying my hair some crazy color. Coincidentally, a little while after having that dream, I saw a sale at a hair salon where you could get your hair cut for just $5. Also, I had seen pictures of Alek Wek, the Sudanese model, and I found her so stunning and exotic. So I had been flirting with the idea of shaving my head…but I really only got the guts to do it when I was literally standing in front of the salon telling myself, “I’m going to go in and just do it.” Of course, when I first saw it, I was like “oh my God…oh my God…what have I done?” I wasn’t really sure if it had been a good or a bad idea…

Ines: The model Alek Wek is someone who has also been through a lot…
Malana: Yeah, she was a refugee from Sudan, and she really grew up in poverty. She really became an inspiration for me in terms of life experience, persistence, and personality.
Ines: Have you met her yet?
Malana: No I have not yet had the pleasure…I really admire her. Not just in regards to her modeling career but I mean, if you actually read her story, it definitely makes you question yourself and your reality…it makes you realize how much you have to be thankful for and how much we take for granted everyday. Her story really moves me.
Ines: Your debut at São Paulo Fashion Week in June 2009 really caused a buzz. You pretty much made fashion history by rocking Neon’s thong bathing suit. What was that experience like?
Malana: [laughs] Well, I wasn’t embarrassed. Even though when I did go to the fitting, I was kind of like…”OK…” [laughs.] But I tried on 10 different looks at the fitting and I didn’t know what I would actually be wearing at the show. I guess my only fear was that the feedback wouldn’t be as positive as it was, but I definitely wasn’t afraid of wearing the thong at the show…
Ines: You were awarded 3rd place in the show “Brazil’s Next Top Model” and you’ve talked about how it changed your perception of the industry…
Malana: I was on Brazil’s Next Top Model in 2008. It was a great experience. I met a lot of people from the industry that really became my very good friends such as Erika Palomino, and the fashion designers Marcelo Sommer and Dudu Bertholini…among others. I really learned a lot, and got to take classes on things like Photography and The History of Fashion, as well as learning to walk the runaway with the incredible model instructor, Naime Wilhby. My perception of the industry did change a lot after being on that show, because you always hear these horrible stories of jealousy and drama within the fashion world. But the girls on the show were really nice and cool. So it made me realize that the fashion world isn’t exactly what it’s stereotyped to be. It isn’t necessarily this fierce competition where everybody is trying to overthrow each other. Of course, there are people like that…but everybody isn’t like that. Good people do exist in the industry, and I was lucky enough to meet some of them.
Ines: Who do you most want to work with?
Malana: I would really love to do an editorial for Chanel. It’s such an incredible brand. Also, Coco Chanel inspires me so much… I love this idea of a chic, seductive, and elegant, woman, and she really embodies that. I also really want to work with John Galliano.
Ines: And I’ve heard you say that you’re also dying to do Victoria’s Secret right?
Malana: Yeah…I think Victoria’s Secret is kind of the high point in a model’s career. It’s just so surreal, it’s pretty hard to even imagine yourself doing that…

Ines: What kind of music are you listening to?
Malana: I’m loving 80′s music but not just because it’s considered cool right now! [laughs.] I also really love Brazilian music. Today I was listening to Elton John and the Brazilian singers Cazuza and Elis Regina.
Ines: What do you like to do when you’re not modeling?
Malana: I’m actually a big homebody. I love having friends over at the house. I like house parties, especially when they are a little more intimate, so you can actually talk and get to know people…and you don’t have to scream over really loud music. I also love to cook and really enjoy walking around São Paulo with my iPod.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, african, black, favourite, models