How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2005
trendsetter

I'm not too keen on the Heroin Chick look. it creeps me out. they all look as if they'd snap if you poke them. we have a girl like that in school... scary.

03-05-2005
backstage pass

ok i figured it out

oh and the matsuda wasent shot by David Sorrenti i have no idea who the phtographer is. it's just a good example of heroin chic. but the first 4 are all david sorrenti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg James220.jpg (21.0 KB, 1491 views)
File Type: jpg Sleeping.jpg (26.6 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Popcorn1.jpg (23.5 KB, 1603 views)
File Type: jpg 160sorre.jpg (32.9 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg MATSUDA001.jpg (158.2 KB, 1438 views)

Last edited by CitraBenzoet; 03-05-2005 at 12:57 PM.
03-05-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariose
Err.
I know, Stella Tennant looks there.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine daisy
I'm not too keen on the Heroin Chick look. it creeps me out. they all look as if they'd snap if you poke them. we have a girl like that in school... scary.
Err yeah..there should be a limit. Sometimes I just feel bad for the girls cos they really look incredibly fragile and just..

backstage pass

as my boyfriend says, it means looking like you're dying.

rising star

For a while in the late 90's a ot of the photos lookedike people were practically dead or comotose, very pale, almost bluish skin with black circles around the eyes, some posed with people slumped over in the corner/on the floor (can't remember those particular ads but there were alot of similar shoots/campaigns). Kind of think of what Vincent Gallo looks like, and that was the inspiration.

03-05-2005
barcode

It's weird, heroin chic always sort of appealed to me....not because of the inspiration because let's face it, addiction is a terrible thing. But the darkness and danger it conveyed was somewhat seductive, to me anyway, not to become a drug user or to be that skinny but to look at. I agree that there needs to be a limit, but I also think that it's unfair to say that heroin chic was responsible for higher drug use rates or eating disorders....it's not as if the supermodels of the late 80's/early 90's were the healthiest image to send to the masses, nor did they live the healthiest lifestyles.

03-05-2005
trendsetter

As unhealthy as it is, it's very seductive and glamourous and appeals to me...back in the early 90s I was too young and into Lion King to notice this, such a cool time though.......

Something about teh frail, sunken in women with the messy, grungy hair and dark, smokey eyes is really cool.

By the way, thanks for everyone who helped me on my quest to learn about "Heroin Chic!" Now I'm off to smoke some heroin, later.

03-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingellecat
As unhealthy as it is, it's very seductive and glamourous and appeals to me...back in the early 90s I was too young and into Lion King to notice this, such a cool time though.......

Something about teh frail, sunken in women with the messy, grungy hair and dark, smokey eyes is really cool.

By the way, thanks for everyone who helped me on my quest to learn about "Heroin Chic!" Now I'm off to smoke some heroin, later.
I agree. I fully understand the political incorrectness of the movement and I understand why people would not want the image in the media...but I can't help but find it somewhat appealing.

"smoke" heroin... a bit unorthadox

03-05-2005
trendsetter

....I don't know what you do with heroin...like a pill, smoke, sniff, eat, drink, I don't know..........

03-05-2005
clever ain't wise

When I was doing my vintage fashion mag research last year I find that the 1970s had a rather subdued heroin chic wave. It was basically limited to 1970-73 and was most apparent in Vogue Paris....and it makes sense. The 1990s had River P but the early 70s had Janice Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and other famous people dying from heroin ODs all over the place....

Here's a shot from a 1971 Paris Vogue, incidentally shot by Terry Richardson's father Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vogue_paris_april_1971_bob_richardson_2.jpg (135.9 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 03-05-2005 at 05:38 PM.
03-05-2005
clever ain't wise

As far as modeling goes, though, I'm sure there have been a lot of casualties on the account of heroin. But I only know of two who actually were stars who graced American Vogue covers: Gia (AIDS, 1986) and Pola (OD, 1974).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg american_vogue_july_1972__pola__kourken_pakchanian_3sm.jpg (204.6 KB, 25 views)

03-05-2005
front row

Does anyone have the pic of I think its James King that prompted Bill Clinton to condem the fashion industry?

03-05-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingellecat
....I don't know what you do with heroin...like a pill, smoke, sniff, eat, drink, I don't know..........
you can smoke it, snort it or inject it (im not encouraging you to take heroin lol!)

Quote:
As unhealthy as it is, it's very seductive and glamourous and appeals to me...
*nods* i was also wandering in the depths of childhood at that paticular time but it's got a real allure to it

Last edited by Ithillien; 03-05-2005 at 06:05 PM.
03-05-2005
front row

Someone told me I was "so heroin chic" last year... nevertheless, it ignited my interest in the look, and started my obsession with Kate

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, heroin