How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2005
V.I.P.

I appreciate heroin chic for what it is, or was, while taking the bad with the good. Perhaps I can't condone it being held as an ideal but I love the idea... the idea of neglected beauty.

Spike, I immediately recalled that same Gucci collection...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gucci.jpg (56.5 KB, 136 views)

03-05-2005
trendsetter

Glamourizing heroine chic is just totally messed up and wrong. A frail, fragile, broken woman.....i think that is misogynistic and backwards to say this image is a thing of beauty.

03-05-2005
trendsetter

Horrible yes, but it's haunted beauty.

Whoa that was philosophical.

03-05-2005
rising star

If I remember correctly Versace had a sort of heroin chic campaign in the 90's

04-05-2005
rising star

Oddly enough, I used to adore this look:

04-05-2005
trendsetter

I found this: http://www.directessays.com/viewpap...&referal=270618
Heroin Chic

The problems that face the today's society have lead to many controversial issues. This is especially prominent when dealing with the fashion industry. For instance, the latest in thing, "heroin chic", has stirred up a large amount of tension between retailers and consumers in the United States. This shortly lived phenomenon has proven itself both deadly and profitable for all those involved. This hazard involved in the pursuit of fashion is the perfect example of how fashion influences society. Within the past two years, the issue of "heroin chic" has been mentioned with growing concern in the fashion industry. Designers are purposely portraying the lives of supermodels, such as Kate Moss and Shalom Harlow, as that of the street junkies. This trend, which is slowly coming to an end, depicts the models as being numb and sickly, instead of the beautiful people they really are. This style basically originated with the late photographer David Sorrenti. Ironically, Sorrenti died of a heroin overdose in 1996. Sorrenti's style of photography was unique. He glorified the models through making them appear as if they were on a two-week drug binge.

Kate was the Heroin Chic Queen innit.

Trainspotting influenced a lot the Heroin Chic look.
I remember a documentary showing how Calvin Klein was inspired by this movie.

It was a morbid trend but beautiful too. It appeals to our morbid, dark side.
People have always been drawn to death and pain in art , think of The Flowers of Evil by Baudelaire, of the religious paintings of martyrs ect...
Heroin and drugs in general have been used in art and by artists.
The addiction and emotionnal dependency appeal to the public.
It's a haunting, dark romantiscm.
I wish my english would allow me to say more and better stuff .* Sigh*

04-05-2005
backstage pass

Heroin chic was alluring, no doubt. Whomever said it sparked the trend toward ultra-thin that we're still seeing today was right. But if you've ever known anyone who got into heroin for real, you know it's an evil and gross drug. Not be be all after-school special about it, heroin makes your teeth yellow, your hair stringy and thin, your skin grey, and turns you into a monster. I know this look actually did make heroin seem cool, I knew people (stupid ones, IMO) who got into it. Some got out alive, some didn't. But the ones who are still around have to live with chronic illnesses like Hep C and epilepsy as a result of their needle abuse. Nothing glamourous about that.

clever ain't wise

I think the whole allure of heroin comes from that while it is gross and horrible - looking into the pinpoint eyes of someone who just shot up is one of the scariest thing you can see - it is also the strongest feeling of calm and happiness that one can hope to achieve. To some people that feeling is irresistable because of the turmoil inside.

04-05-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Of The Dump
A lot of you need to grow up and start not being pricks

What and who do you mean by that? I don't think that ANYBODY in this post had even half appeared to be a prick. I actually think that a lot of people have shared their true feelings on a delicate issue, in fact.

Emi

04-05-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingellecat
Horrible yes, but it's haunted beauty.
definitely, in the same way as a barren landscape is beautiful. its a ghostly, supernatural look and i guess it captures the imagination.

i personally find the human body fascinating and i like the hard lines formed by bones. i know its not healthy and its disturbing to see people do that to themselves but i am kindof morbidly captivated by that look,

04-05-2005
barcode

The thing that people really need to remember with heroin chic is that it's a glammed up version of addiction....as someone else mentioned, true heroin addicts are hardly attractive people.....I think it really came out of the need for something new back in the early 90's. Fashion and pop culture were consumed by images of high octane glamour and perfection through out the whole supermodel trend, heroin chic was really the antithesis of that, it was dark and dangerous and in a very, very weird way, a good thing.

The supermodels were these glamazons with ample curves, perfect skin, perfect hair...perfect everything. Imagine how the skinny, glangly, flat chested girls would feel being told that this is what you should look like. Girls like this suddenly had a feeling of being beautiful......I'm not really sure if I explained myself well enough but my thinking is really this, for all of those girls who did fit the heroin chic mold it was a chance for them to feel beautiful which, as I said, is kind of the very small silver lining to the cloud of heroin chic.

04-05-2005
Kel
rising star

I haven't read any post in this thread that exhibits the slightest semblance of immaturity or insensitivity, Stig of the Dump. Care to elaborate?

I like the heroin-chic look. Personally, I don't look at it so much as a glamorization of addiction as much as it is a preference for the overall look of fraility and solemnity.

09-05-2005
fashion icon

im too young to have lived for it. but here are some of my findings and id love it if you could id the models. thanks!

09-05-2005
woolgathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa
When I was doing my vintage fashion mag research last year I find that the 1970s had a rather subdued heroin chic wave. It was basically limited to 1970-73 and was most apparent in Vogue Paris....and it makes sense. The 1990s had River P but the early 70s had Janice Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and other famous people dying from heroin ODs all over the place....

Here's a shot from a 1971 Paris Vogue, incidentally shot by Terry Richardson's father Bob.
That's a great scan, thanks for sharing it!!! Your research seems to have yielded some pretty interesting finds...I would love to see more of your vintage mag scans...Maybe you could start a thread!

09-05-2005
trendsetter

Tha'd be a great idea...i have a vogue (i took from school) from 1994.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chic, heroin