How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-01-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Eva Riccobono: discovered by photographers Bruce Weber and Marco Glaviano in Sicily, she began her modelling career with an exclusive for Dolce & Gabbana in 2002.
vogue.it

29-01-2013
V.I.P.

Irina Kulikova

Quote:
Irina Kulikova was tipped for stardom from the moment she was spotted. "I was discovered in restaurant (Pushkin) in Moscow last summer (2006)," she explains. "I was having dinner with my mum but the famous actress, Liv Tyler, just came up to me and said, 'Hey! Are you a model?'" With a start like that, it's little wonder Irina K (as she's known in the industry), is currently leading the catwalk line up: She opened the autumn/winter 2007-8 Prada show and is currently the star of its campaign, as well as those of Jil Sander and Pringle of Scotland.
-vogue.co.uk

30-01-2013
fashion elite

Irinas story is the coolest one ever.

V.I.P.

A piece on Julia Nobis when she first started out. Featured on smh.com.au
Quote:
Once upon a time, there was a 17-year-old teenager catching the bus in Bondi Junction. She was hanging with her mates, keeping out of trouble, sharing a few laughs. Then a stranger tapped her on the shoulder.
"It was a little bit awkward. I thought she was just going to ask me for directions but she asked me if I was I model. Who knew a bus stop could be a place of magic?" recalls Julia Nobis, now 19, who today is shooting her second campaign for Australian fashion label Marcs on the streets of Sydney's Woolloomooloo.
The stranger was Jaz Daly from Priscillas Model Management. "I immediately noticed her beautiful pale skin and the blonde hair," Daly recalls of the day she scouted Nobis.

"She looked so angelic, even though she was in big, baggy pants and carrying a skateboard. She was actually in her school uniform but you could tell she had something straight away."

The 180-centimetre beauty was also very studious and it was made clear, not just by her parents but by Nobis herself, that she wanted to concentrate on finishing school first, Daly adds. "We took it easy and in her spare time she would do a couple of shoots."
In February last year, the recent high school graduate was on a plane to New York, where she was hired immediately to star exclusively in the Calvin Klein show, a massive coup for any model.

Last edited by ad31214; 30-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.
01-02-2013
hors concours♛

Cindy Crawford
She was discovered at the age of 16 by a newspaper photographer who noticed her at work during her summer job of detasseling corn and took a picture of her. The photo and positive feedback she received were enough to convince her to take up modeling. She entered the Elite Model Management's Look of the Year contest at 17 and was the runner-up. The Elite modeling agency in Chicago then started representing her.

Christy Turlington
She was discovered by local photographer Dennie Cody while riding horses in Miami, Florida, where her father was working as a training captain for Pan Am.

Linda Evangelista
Evangelista began modelling when she was discovered by an agent from Elite Model Management at the 1978 Miss Teen Niagara beauty pageant.

Claudia Schiffer
October 1987 at seventeen, she was spotted in a nightclub in Düsseldorf by Michel Levaton, the boss of Metropolitan Model Agency who signed her up to become a model.

wikipedia

V.I.P.

Julia Stegner

Quote:
Julia became immersed in her profession from a young age: She was a child model for seven years, working on children's catalogs and commercials, and was trained in dance for nine years.

In high school Julia discovered a love for playing basketball, one that would eventually lead her to join a club team in Munich. She was a natural fit for the game, and her high school peers referred to her as "bean bar" because of her 5'11" height. She even met her policeman boyfriend, Konstantin, while playing her favorite sport.

Julia was preparing to study accounting when she left high school, but a fortuitous event changed her career path. At 15, while celebrating Oktoberfest in her home town of Munich, she was discovered by a talent scout who immediately recognized her potential for modeling greatness.
uk.askmen.com/

02-02-2013
V.I.P.

Erin Wasson

Quote:
At 16 she modeled locally in Texas and In 1999 father entered her in Kim Dawson's Model search and she won, then IMG contract
models.com vogue.it

02-02-2013
V.I.P.

Yasmin Warsame

Quote:
Warsame was born in Mogadishu, Somalia in 1976. She is a Muslim. When she was fifteen years old, she moved from Somalia to Toronto, Canada with her family. She later studied psychology and social sciences at Seneca College.[2] Yasmin was discovered in 1997 by professional modelling Agency owners /scouts from SHOK Models in Toronto, Cindy LaChapelle and Camille Bailey. LaChapelle and Bailey first scouted Yasmin while she was riding the TTC Subway train. Much to their dismay, she did not contact them right away. Ironically, and approximately a couple of weeks later the two ran into Yasmin again while she was walking on Queen Street East near Spadina Avenue. They convinced her to come into the SHOK office for a meeting about the business. This meeting resulted in a signed contract with SHOK as Yasmin's Mother Agency. SHOK Models arranged her first testing with Toronto based photographer Chris Albert. Shortly after, Yasmin booked her first modelling assignment with Fiorio Salon for the ABA (Allied Beauty Association)annual hair show. Yasmin did the show while she was in her first trimester of her first pregnancy. She revealed her pregnancy to SHOK Models and asked for leave from modelling so she could focus on motherhood responsibilities. In 2000, Warsame began modeling again with a booking for the Sears catalogue. She was in her early 20s and five months pregnant with her son Hamzah when she accepted this shoot. Although she worked as a fashion model in Canada for almost two years, Warsame's look was considered too "haute couture" for the local scene, making work scarce. So, in the summer of 2002, she headed for Paris. Her breakthrough came later that year with a feature for the Italian Vogue, photographed by Steven Meisel. In 2000, Warsame began modeling again with Ford Models in Toronto, with a booking for the Sears catalogue. In the summer of 2002, after switching to NEXT Models Canada, she headed for Paris. In December 2011 she was featured as the cover model of YYZ Living then later an entire 2012 editorial from Flare.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasmin_Warsame

03-02-2013
windowshopping

plz don't hate me for not believing in any of these discovery stories ugggggggh *rolls eyes

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingBobo View Post
plz don't hate me for not believing in any of these discovery stories ugggggggh *rolls eyes
do you have any discovery stories you can 100% vouch for or claim fake?

05-02-2013
windowshopping

Yes. Take the Andrej Pejic phenomenon as an example, he has like a thousand discovery stories to his name. He was discovered whilst working at Mcdonalds, oh then whilst he was selling fruit and then like whilst he was being ultra fashionable in a cornfield. The truth is he emailed his photos in.

Take this Frockwriter article as an example (last paragraph)

http://www.frockwriter.com/2012/10/a...his-phone.html

I am sure a lot of stories are true but there are also a lot that are fabricated.

V.I.P.

I've heard too many Andrej stories, literally first it was him working in McDonalds, then him eating at McDonalds, then him sending in photos, then him being scouted in a cornfield? But just because one model may not have a reliable source doesn't mean most models are fabricating their scouting stories.

06-02-2013
backstage pass

According to The Model Agency documentary, I think Leomie Anderson was scouted by one of Premier's lead bookers at a bus stop.

In 2006 Jourdan Dunn was scouted in a branch of the shop, Primark in Hammersmith, London. (wikipedia.)

I vaguely remember watching an interview with Doutzen Kroes where she explained that she sent photos into Paparazzi Model Management.

One of my favourite scouting stories is probably Patrick O'Donnell's,

Quote:
[He was] ...Scouted by Alasdair McLellan when Patrick was doing building work on Alasdair’s roof.
models.com

Last edited by mimirose; 06-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.
06-02-2013
V.I.P.

Jourdan was scouted in the sunglasses section of Primark by a scout from Storm Models, and she thought the woman was joking when she told her.

07-02-2013
V.I.P.

Anna Selezneva: spotted by an agent in a McDonald's in Moscow, 2007, when she was 17.
Quote:
- I was standing in the WC of Mcdonald’s and a boy of my age comes to me and says: “Listen, you are so pretty, don’t u want to become a model?” I said: “You know, I don’t want to be a part of your army of prostitutes (!!!!!), but if you have a real opportunity to send me abroad… ” He said: “Where do u want to go?” So, in two months I was in Paris.
Vogue Russia September 2008 article

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
discovered, models