How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallu View Post
^ Is lieve considered as a Latina Model? I know she is French but lives (or lived) in Chile.
I
Posted via Mobile Device
I think by Latina they mean orginially born and raised in a latino country, with mestizo(half indian-half spanish)/african roots. Rather than European roots. This does NOT mean that lets say a Peruvian woman with French roots cannot consider herself Latina, but in models there is such a small amount of Mestizo/Afro-Latina models that this thread is meant for that very select amount. If we were talking about European root models from South America- Carla Gebhart, Melissa Stasiuk and a lot of other models would be on here.

06-02-2013
front row

I was wondering the same thing but since they consider her as french and chilean i thought she could be in this thread, and Melissa Stasiuk and Carla Gebhart are in this thread too...

V.I.P.

Cris Urena is Dominican

Source: Models.com

15-02-2013
trendsetter

Latina means anyone from a country that speaks a Latin language. This usually refers to South America and central America as people in Europe who speak Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian usually do not call themselves latino/a. It's not a term for ethnicity, though it seems like in the US it has come to be considered one. So yes Lieve would be considered Latina no matter what her ethnicity is because she comes from a Latin Language based speaking country. The majority the Latina's models in this thread are Caucasian (I'm pretty sure German and Italian are some of the largest ethnic groups in Latin America). So Latina is basically a language group compromising of people from many different races.

Does any one know of any indigenous Latina models?

I feel like a lot of girls from Brazil labeled as black and indigenous like Lais and Gracie. I could be wrong, but they look similar to some indigenous peoples Ive seen on documentaries of Brazil.

Last edited by Simera; 15-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.
15-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simera View Post
Does any one know of any indigenous Latina models?
I don't know if there are any full blood Indigena models, but Lais and Gracie both have Indian roots in them, and not far back generation-wise.
Juana is mestiza, mixed Indigenous Peruvian with Spanish.

15-02-2013
fashion insider

Lieve is actually half french, half belgian, she was not born in Chile, she was raised there though.
Chile also had a finalist in EML 2012, Trinidad de la Noi, 2nd place, and judging by her last name she's also french ethnically.

About Magda L, Melissa S. and Tati, they're all Argentinian, but ethically they're jew.
Other Argentinian girls would be Martina Klein, Naomi Preizler, Daniela Urzi, Nicole Neumann, Luján Fernández, Jorgelina Airaldi, Antonella Graef, Martina Correa, Dafne Cejas and Tetyana Melnichuk (born in Ukraine raised in Argentina)

There's too many brazilian models to count so I won't name them hehe

I'm not sure if male models are included but there's a couple of guys that are quite in demand who are latinos, such as Christian García (currently on Lanvin campaign), Martin Conte, etc.

15-02-2013
V.I.P.

^ To add to the male model list, Jonathan Marquez is 1/2 Guatemalan 1/2 Puerto Rican.

And Christy Turlington is 1/2 Salvadoran if that counts.

Last edited by Elfinkova; 15-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.
15-02-2013
trendsetter

If someone says they are Salvadoran or Chilean and are Caucasian, aren't they just decedents of the Spanish who colonized it the country?

Most people from the Dominican Republic are mixed or indigenous so I'd assume Omahyra Mota is indigenous. Daniela Braga looks indigenous too.
Liliana Domiquez and Caroline Ribeiro are 1/2 native and have caucasian (Spanish in Liliana and Portugusese in Caroline)

trendsetter

The male model who booked Givenchy show and ads (I dont know if he was dropped) is from Latin America, right? his last name is Pereira I think.
Edit: it's Francisco Peralta
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Kallu; 15-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.
15-02-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallu View Post
The male model who booked Givenchy show and ads (I dont know if he was dropped) is from Latin America, right? his last name is Pereira I think.
Edit: it's Francisco Peralta
Posted via Mobile Device
He's dominican...his ad is about to come out.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvelvetbowtie View Post
Lieve is actually half french, half belgian, she was not born in Chile, she was raised there though.
Chile also had a finalist in EML 2012, Trinidad de la Noi, 2nd place, and judging by her last name she's also french ethnically.
There are a lot of people here that have european last names but are chilean, my last name is english but both of my parents are chilean so maybe trinidad is chilean too.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaars View Post
I don't know if there are any full blood Indigena models, but Lais and Gracie both have Indian roots in them, and not far back generation-wise.
Juana is mestiza, mixed Indigenous Peruvian with Spanish.
Patricia Velasquez is full blood indian.

16-02-2013
trendsetter

Paloma Jimenez, she's retired now and married to Vin Diesel.
idmodels

Last edited by Fernini; 16-02-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
latina, models