How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-01-2004
windowshopping

Male Model Height Requirement
I'm an African-American male aspiring model. This has been my dream for quite some time. I've bought and read several modeling advice books, including "The Wilhelmina Guide to Modeling" and another book by Yvonne Rose for the young aspiring African-American model. I believe I have the look and the attitude to be a fashion model. The only thing I feel that could possibly deter me from my goal is my height: I'm 5'10". Most of the sites I've been to have stated that male fashion models must be at least 5'11". I'm aware of some female models who've made it while being at least a couple of inches too short (Kate Moss, Rebecca Gayheart, for example), but I haven't heard of any male models who've overcome the same odds. Every male fashion model that I've come across has been listed as being 6' tall or above (that is, unless their stats have been slightly exaggerated). I know commercial print is an option, but I would like to make a full-time living at modeling, and commercial print is recommended as something to do part-time. My plans are to move to New York City in about a year and a half to fully immerse myself in the market. In the meantime, I've already taken steps to maximize my attractiveness as a candidate (braces, hiring a personal trainer, skin care). Could someone who is well-informed on the height issue please let me know if I'm in over my head, and provide me with any advice/feedback that could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

19-01-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I don't know enough to answer really but at a mere 5' 11" 1/2 (-ish) I share your pain

AlmostFamous is a well-known model...she might work with male models who know these things.

BBB
windowshopping

remember that as with the girls in this business whats written on your card and your true height can be two different things. If an agency think that you have enough potential they will take you on and simply modify the truth.

19-01-2004
V.I.P.

I just checked Storm models and they want 6'0". You should probably speak with an agency in person though.

19-01-2004
yes

most agencies will take 5'11 models JUST

5'10 is really pushing it......normally 5'10 models will only ever get as far as 'new faces' simply because they wont work

male models really need to be 6' at the shortest (182/3cm) to get any proper work

the ideal height is between 183 and 187cm for real working models

19-01-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by BBB@Jan 19th, 2004 - 11:29 pm
remember that as with the girls in this business whats written on your card and your true height can be two different things. If an agency think that you have enough potential they will take you on and simply modify the truth.
this is very true......

i was at a missoni retrospective show last month and BOTH of the male models in the show were shorter than me and im 5'11.5......and on their cards it said they were 6' / 183cm........which was a BLATANT lie

AND they were both with storm.........so it just comes to show

19-01-2004
backstage pass

Acid... if an agency took you, they would no doubt push your height up to 6'0. Besides, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and went "DAMN! If only I were half an inch talller!" The difference between 5'11.5 and 6'0 is very hard to detect.

Male models are sometimes even taller than 6'2-6'3, but are quoted as being shorter on their comp cards. But I have seen shorter male models here or there. I've actually been in the presence of short(er) male runway models and none of them struck me as being short.

19-01-2004
yes

Quote:
Originally posted by ChinaLove@Jan 19th, 2004 - 11:51 pm
Acid... if an agency took you, they would no doubt push your height up to 6'0. Besides, have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror and went "DAMN! If only I were half an inch talller!" The difference between 5'11.5 and 6'0 is very hard to detect.
oh no im not a model

19-01-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

That's probably because even 5'10" is one inch taller than the average UK or American male...what is percieved as short in modelling is actually quite tall...

backstage pass

Quote:
oh no im not a model
My bad. LOL.

19-01-2004
scenester

Travis Fimmel is 5'10''

19-01-2004
V.I.P.

hmm actually i was wondering about this today also. weird.

i think it would be nice to get through college being a model.

think i could do it?

i dunno i don't have chisled check bones or something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me.jpg (20.7 KB, 225 views)

20-01-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Jan 19th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
most agencies will take 5'11 models JUST

5'10 is really pushing it......normally 5'10 models will only ever get as far as 'new faces' simply because they wont work

male models really need to be 6' at the shortest (182/3cm) to get any proper work

the ideal height is between 183 and 187cm for real working models
Sean,there you go with that new faces bull spat again.

I'm a new face and do work, all the 'new faces' do.

It doesn't matter the height. If the agency signs you, they will believe you will work. The only way you can find out whether or not your height is a problem is by sending your polaroids to the agencies themselves.

20-01-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by loserunit@Jan 19th, 2004 - 10:54 pm
hmm actually i was wondering about this today also. weird.

i think it would be nice to get through college being a model.

think i could do it?

i dunno i don't have chisled check bones or something
You look good. Don't know about modeling..maybe. We would probably have to see more pics.

20-01-2004
V.I.P.

me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
height, male, model, requirement