How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2007
fashion icon

^ I heard it even here on tfs.. Somebody mentioned it's sad model threads are so popular when it should be about fashion..

14-06-2007
Spring of Córdoba

^ yea i read some posts like this here too... maybe we are shallow after all

V.I.P.

people don't realize that modeling is just like any other job.
you really have to work... to stand for like 12 hours on high heels with heavy make up in some weird pose, just to get like 4 photos is not real fun.
but,most people i know do not think of models as stupid, but these girls barely finish high school...and that gives credit to some other people to call them dumb.

15-06-2007
fashion icon

^ Maybe it's different here but all of my model knowns are university students (my male model knowns are mostly medical students which means they really must have brain to be there ) and the younger models are finishing high school and studing for university entrance exam. When something comes up, they ask the head teacher's approval and travel to work and study later for the exams or they finish semester later.
Of course i'm not saying you are not right. I'm sure you are, but luckily there are good examples too.

23-04-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkalicious View Post
Some people also think that models are only selling themselves and being glammed up hos which is really sad and really really untrue in my opinion.
Absolutely agree. Modelling is a talent and an art.

23-04-2012
V.I.P.

Sure, standing on high heels and posing for an extended lengths of time is uncomfortable.

But hard work is doing any kind of manual labor as a job, day in and day out. I think you're all throwing that term "hard work" around a little too loosely in this thread.

21-11-2012
front row

Is it true that models don't get paid for editorials?

21-11-2012
V.I.P.

^very little to nothing, yes.

21-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
^very little to nothing, yes.
Wow, thanks for replying. Originally I thought this was a myth and they got paid til I started locally modelling and worked with a photographer that told me models don't get paid for editorials... so does this mean that top models such as Isabeli Fontana, Kate Moss even don't get paid for doing editorials in magazines such as Vogue?

21-11-2012
V.I.P.

They're usually doing editorial work for exposure. I'm not sure but it can very well be that b-list magazines pay more to have the big models working with them. It's a win-win situation because both will have more exposure then.

21-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
They're usually doing editorial work for exposure. I'm not sure but it can very well be that b-list magazines pay more to have the big models working with them. It's a win-win situation because both will have more exposure then.
I see, interesting you say for exposure... now I remember that is what I was told. I know that some times photographers even models can submit to some magazines (not necessarily well known ones but either online or some high fashion ones) and they use a set of pictures for editorial in order to gain exposure for both the model and photographer... I suppose it helps by increasing chance of better paid jobs in the end and securing work with bigger clients

But it's good we've talked about that as I originally thought it was just a myth and they got paid.

22-11-2012
tfs star

I've heard and read people say '' how can designers expect to sell their clothes when the models on the runway always look so miserable instead of happy?''

And also that they are stupid ...
I disagree because if you really wanna make it in this industry, you have to be smart, you have to know how to make other people like you so they will hire you.

Last edited by KateTheGreatest; 22-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
22-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Wow, thanks for replying. Originally I thought this was a myth and they got paid til I started locally modelling and worked with a photographer that told me models don't get paid for editorials... so does this mean that top models such as Isabeli Fontana, Kate Moss even don't get paid for doing editorials in magazines such as Vogue?
From my understanding the bigger girls like Kate and Isabeli have fees that they can ask for to do anything and the people will pay it if it's reasonable. It IS Kate Moss after all! The newer girls you can get free-cheap work out of because they want the exposure so bad, but if you have a good reputation you have the ability to turn down jobs that pay and only do the ones that do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

24-11-2012
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

many people think that models have deep husky voices mostly with Eastern European accents like Bond villainesses. Many are shocked to hear the likes of Bianca or Natasha Poly speak

V.I.P.

I think a really common one is that many people view them as not humans and regular people. Yes, they are beautiful but they still do the same things we do

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
misconceptions, models