How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2012
V.I.P.

^ This question can't be answered because it depends almost 100% on the model and how experienced she is (in terms of skills, book content, career level). There is no "average"... If girl's look is good and talented, of course she will fare better than a not so talented girl that was just taken from the same agency for policy-related reasons.

08-05-2012
front row

Thanks for that info.. didn't think it all depended on experience and books of the model, etc.

08-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Thanks for that info.. didn't think it all depended on experience and books of the model, etc.

i would say it just depends of one thing: Success

the agency is irrelevant, there are girls on IMG or Next web site, who did not book more than 2 jobs in one year, some others are in the few best working girls in the world...

Also number of jobs doesnt mean much about income, considering some jobs can be paid as little as 200 euros, some other 2000, and some other 200.000 and more...

10-05-2012
front row

I got a question how does it work when models are signed to agencies and get work, is it that the clients request specific models after viewing the books of the model or book them from the website for example for the specific job or mostly that the agency finds the models work as clients request models, the agency decides to put some models forward to them and the client decides. Do models use websites to find themselves work from featured casting calls? How does it really work?

10-05-2012
V.I.P.

The video about IMG Models Agency

10-05-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
or mostly that the agency finds the models work as clients request models, the agency decides to put some models forward to them and the client decides.
Yes it is more or or less in that way.
A client send a request to agencies about the type of girl they need for the job, and the agency will propose him a few girls that they think might be suitable.

At the best level, when an agency sign a new face they really believe in, they will not wait that a client might "need" her , they will send her to meet their few best clients very quickly , expecting one of these client to really like and girl to book her as soon as he can for a job without passing the usual casting step.

10-05-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
Yes it is more or or less in that way.
A client send a request to agencies about the type of girl they need for the job, and the agency will propose him a few girls that they think might be suitable.

At the best level, when an agency sign a new face they really believe in, they will not wait that a client might "need" her , they will send her to meet their few best clients very quickly , expecting one of these client to really like and girl to book her as soon as he can for a job without passing the usual casting step.
Thanks for your reply. So you don't think models find work themselves cause with some local agencies... some models can tend to find work for themselves.
Would you say it is best a model try and get an agency most clients tend to work with in that city and how can an aspiring model tell which agencies are the best for her?

10-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. So you don't think models find work themselves cause with some local agencies... some models can tend to find work for themselves.
Would you say it is best a model try and get an agency most clients tend to work with in that city and how can an aspiring model tell which agencies are the best for her?
^ No that is the most unprofessional thing a model could do, it would harm the agency big time. At least when we talk about fashion model agencies.

I think it's does not matter so much to which of the top 5 agencies in NY, London and Paris a model signs if she is striking. It is hard to point of who is the best agency for aspiring models, because it depends on many factors.
But you can say you have found the best agency for a model when they truly think you can become huge and are willing to push and invest in you.
Some agencies have better relationships to certain top notch clients than other agencies but all in all they all share the market. Just WM in Paris for example has strong connection to Givenchy, IMG has strong relationship with the people at Editions Jalou (they publish magazines like L'Officle, Jalouse among others)...

10-05-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
^ No that is the most unprofessional thing a model could do, it would harm the agency big time. At least when we talk about fashion model agencies.
That's interesting you say it could harm the agency big time. I think it's always best when the agency finds the models work. I think there was a fake advert I saw on a site for models who look for jobs from casting calls, the advert was for Terry Richardson shoot. It looked obviously fake, people should be careful to avoid that.
Agencies don't work the same as recruitment agencies then cause I know with recruitment agencies they find you work and also request you hand in your resume to places. I guess that with models, the agencies are fully responsible for finding you work.

Last edited by Mariann; 10-05-2012 at 11:43 AM.
10-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
That's interesting you say it could harm the agency big time. I think it's always best when the agency finds the models work. I think there was a fake advert I saw on a site for models who look for jobs from casting calls, the advert was for Terry Richardson shoot. It looked obviously fake, people should be careful to avoid that.
Agencies don't work the same as recruitment agencies then cause I know with recruitment agencies they find you work and also request you hand in your resume to places. I guess that with models, the agencies are fully responsible for finding you work.
Yes exactly, otherwise models wouldn't have to hire and pay agents. It's harmful in a way that the model (who wants to find work herself) makes industry people think that her agency is not good enough to book her jobs (which is super bad for the agency's reputation)

12-05-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
i would say it just depends of one thing: Success

the agency is irrelevant, there are girls on IMG or Next web site, who did not book more than 2 jobs in one year, some others are in the few best working girls in the world...
Quote:
I think it's does not matter so much to which of the top 5 agencies in NY, London and Paris a model signs if she is striking. It is hard to point of who is the best agency for aspiring models, because it depends on many factors. But you can say you have found the best agency for a model when they truly think you can become huge and are willing to push and invest in you.
I generally agree with what you guys are saying but surely how well a model is managed plays a part in that success, in which case, the agency is a relevant factor? Or I should say the booker that model has at said agency. I'd think that even a girl or guy with an incredible look will ultimately not be as successful as they could be if not marketed correctly. How do clients really select one model with the right look over another with the right look, unless one has a better sell (hype/pull from her agency or what have you)?

How else to explain how a model could toil away at one agency, perhaps for years not booking particularly prestigious work, and then suddenly make it big at another agency (given that her look hasn't changed drastically)? I think that the idea of it just being "her time" while true in some sense is a bit romantic in an industry that is rather deliberate and calculated IMO.

Also, how does a model know that her agency is actively trying to push her career to the next level or whether they're just empty promises? Is this mainly based on rapport? Even if she does have a good relationship with her booker, how does she know that they have the ability to do so or do most agencies at the top level have more or less the same influence/connections with major clients?

12-05-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucer-like View Post
I generally agree with what you guys are saying but surely how well a model is managed plays a part in that success, in which case, the agency is a relevant factor? Or I should say the booker that model has at said agency. I'd think that even a girl or guy with an incredible look will ultimately not be as successful as they could be if not marketed correctly. How do clients really select one model with the right look over another with the right look, unless one has a better sell (hype/pull from her agency or what have you)?

How else to explain how a model could toil away at one agency, perhaps for years not booking particularly prestigious work, and then suddenly make it big at another agency (given that her look hasn't changed drastically)? I think that the idea of it just being "her time" while true in some sense is a bit romantic in an industry that is rather deliberate and calculated IMO.

Also, how does a model know that her agency is actively trying to push her career to the next level or whether they're just empty promises? Is this mainly based on rapport? Even if she does have a good relationship with her booker, how does she know that they have the ability to do so or do most agencies at the top level have more or less the same influence/connections with major clients?
I agree, I do think the agencies play a very big part because Lara Stone switched from Elite to IMG and finally got so much work if you remember. That's the evidence. It's very important models can be relaxed that their agency is doing them a good job. You can also see that it's the agencies who find work and not more to do with the clients who ask for models because Elite is a top agency and if you see Hannah Holman and Bambi Northwood Blyth have done well with Elite, Abbey Lee Kershaw has done well with Next and they are nowhere near as big as IMG is on certain levels, big but not as big as IMG. So you can see it is all down to the agency and booker and how they work for the model really. It can get confusing.

What does IMO stand for?

12-05-2012
trendsetter

IMO = "in my opinion"

15-05-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Yup, my contract bans it explicitly (or I'd be liable for any damage I do to them through that AND it could mean the end of the contract). I found that interesting

15-05-2012
windowshopping

This is such an informative thread, glad I found it!

I have a question... I'm gonna live in Northwest US (Seattle) for a while, I know it's kind of a desert in terms of good model agencies there but do you have any recommendations of model agencies in/around Seattle? How about Vancouver? It's not far from Seattle and I can afford going there, I think.

I'd totally want to try out big agencies in NY or LA because I have the height requirements (still working on the weight though) and I have an Asian look (don't know if that helps or worsens my chances), but the thing is that I'm afraid I can't afford all the costs (flights, hotel) it's gonna cost me. Knowing that I'll go to university too, I just want to start small in the US... What do you think of this? (I already have a mother agency back at my home country)

Last edited by terpischoria; 15-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agency, mega, model, thread