How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-06-2010
V.I.P.

Has this been posted from The NYPost.com:
Quote:
'Model' war getting ugly

By DAREH GREGORIAN
Last Updated: 4:55 AM, June 21, 2010
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...#ixzz0s6tjHRCQ

Ford Models won't keep its hands to itself, a rival agency claims.

In a case of the prey becoming the predator, Ford -- which has made complaints in recent years about rivals poaching its employees -- is being sued by a Manhattan modeling agency for allegedly having stolen away some of its top people.

In its Manhattan lawsuit, Women Model Management says Ford recently offered to buy them, and when the deal fell through, Ford bought off some of Women's top execs instead.

"[Ford's] concerted recruiting efforts to date have led to the departures of eight of plaintiff's key employees," the suit says.

Adding to Women's woes, former President Paul Rowland allegedly owes $866,904 for expenditures made with company cash.

"It's one thing for an employee to move from one company to another, so long as he acts properly and leaves with 'nothing but the shirt on his back,' so to speak," said Women's lawyer Brian Kaplan. "[But they] tried to take not only the shirts on their backs but also the entire wardrobe."

Rowland scored a $1.5 million-a-year job at Ford, while two of his assistants snared $400,000-a-year gigs.

Ford spokesman Chris Giglio "categorically denies the claims."

Last edited by agee; 27-06-2010 at 09:19 PM.

07-07-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
For Toronto I don't care about anyone except Elmer Olson. I like Chantale as well but she's quite some girls who were promising but failed with bland placement if you ask me. Otherwise, my top recommendation goes to Mode Models, they've offices in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calagry and also some scouts located in Toronto opening mind to all possibilities, aggressively but considered pushing into the 4 main markets with a very certain focus and goal but still not losing the personal touch to their girls. Furtheron, there's no decent girl at Mode Models without promising placements within the agency networks of Europe (+ NYC) - Meghan Collison, Heather Marks, Julia Dunstall, Johanna Stickland and Simon Nessman should be grateful for such great motheragents.
While I agree with your comments re: Mode, I have to counter on one point. Chantale has been placing her girls with all of the top agencies -- hardly bland -- and furthermore, you have to understand, that she can't just PLACE a girl, they have to be chosen by the agency.

08-07-2010
Zenga Zenga

^Totally agree on Chantale Nadeau's placements. No bad one or not that I had noticed, often similar as Mode and it's always up to the agencies to want to represent a girl or not so it often limits the options. And then, even with the very best placement (at first sight) it doesn't work sometimes for various reasons going from human relationships to market response to the girl's own availability to travel...

08-07-2010
backstage pass

^ agreed.

14-08-2010
front row

Does anyone know of the top placement agents in the U.S. for NYC agencies?

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Do you mean US based motheragents/scouting agencies, marcjacobslvr?
Well, there is Pulse Management (Ali Stephens, Hye Rim, Hanna Holman..) in NY, Utah and Miami, Specimen Model Management in Maryland, Katie Forgarty's and Karlie Kloss' motheragency Mother Model Management based in St Louis, Ginny Edwards Placement, Star Models of San Fransisco (maybe even my fav of the whole Californian market), Vision LA who discovered Lindsay Wixson, Ashley Smith's motheragent Foreman Management in Texas, and for sure the common powerhouses like Ford in LA (i think they are my favorite of the entire Ford network besides New York).

Could somebody explain the connection between Pulse Management and Elite Worldwide?

14-08-2010
front row

^ Ya that's what I meant. Do you know of any good ones in the south like the Carolinas, GA, Alabama, Tennessee, etc?? Thanks!

14-08-2010
Zenga Zenga

Quote:

Could somebody explain the connection between Pulse Management and Elite Worldwide?
I couldn't tell you the exact nature of their connection but it's pretty close, if not exclusive. With a few happy results that we know, which is quite a good sign

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

marcjacobslvr Oh, I'm not too familiar with US based motheragents, have to take a pass here.... But one of the top placement agents, like placing his girls with polaroids only no matter where they are from, is Specimen Model Management... He placed Marike le Roux with Next before she left them for Wilhelmina, Hildie G of FORD NY, Maddie Welch (Supreme NY)... If there's an appealing girl/boy, he finds a great agency, no matter where she/he is from... I hope that helps

ETA:Penny Thank you, definitely looking forward to what they have in store... I love their both Amandas and Natalie whom you had featured recently... I really wonder that i've never heard of them before today's date...

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 14-08-2010 at 03:43 PM.
14-08-2010
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
marcjacobslvr Oh, I'm not too familiar with US based motheragents, have to take a pass here.... But one of the top placement agents, like placing his girls with polaroids only no matter where they are from, is Specimen Model Management... He placed Marike le Roux with Next before she left them for Wilhelmina, Hildie G of FORD NY, Maddie Welch (Supreme NY)... If there's an appealing girl/boy, he finds a great agency, no matter where she/he is from... I hope that helps

ETA:Penny Thank you, definitely looking forward to what they have in store... I love their both Amandas and Natalie whom you had featured recently... I really wonder that i've never heard of them before today's date...
Amanda is quite amazing and Natalie... are you talking of Miss Keyser? If yes she's a perennial favorite of mine!

As for Wilhelmina it's actually one of my favorites in NY, quite inspired and inspiring

14-08-2010
front row

Quote:

Yes it was very helpful! Thank you! So some placement agents will send your pictures to other agencies even if you don't live in the area?

14-08-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny609 View Post
Amanda is quite amazing and Natalie... are you talking of Miss Keyser? If yes she's a perennial favorite of mine!

As for Wilhelmina it's actually one of my favorites in NY, quite inspired and inspiring
Hmmm not sure about her fullname, but i think it was Natalie Keyser. In any way, the Natalie who did those brilliant black white tests together with Charlotte Nolting

marcjacobslvr It's definitely a risk but some placement agents like Specimen, Image Discovery of Ukraine or PMST (Czech Republic) do it this way... Not in all cases, but exceptions prove the rule, no? :-)

Last edited by cologne_rocks; 14-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.
14-08-2010
front row

Ah, I see. Thanks so much!

14-08-2010
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Hmmm not sure about her fullname, but i think it was Natalie Keyser. In any way, the Natalie who did those brilliant black white tests together with Charlotte Nolting
I don't remember her doing any tests with Charlotte (brilliant as well btw) but she did some amazing pieces for a few magazines. Strawberry blonde with freckles if this helps :p

29-08-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Silent’s New Age
August 25th, 2010 by wayne
Industry News, Interviews, Model News
comments (7)

For clients hungry for innovation and freshness in a stagnant landscape, one of the most eagerly anticipated aspects of this NEW YORK SS11 Spring show season is the exciting possibilities being offered by Silent New York. If Silent presents even one/tenth of the taste, rigor and chic it convened in Paris via the beautifully managed breakthrough of Anna S then editors, designers, stylists, casting directors and model watchers in general should brace themselves for what could be a serious booking tilt. Expect a lot of blue chip traffic flooding through this agency’s freshly opened offices as the new fall season seems to be calling for a rethink of what a value model should represent . OTM caught up with Eric Dubois, Creative Director and Co-Founder of Silent New York and Silent Paris and Vincent Peter, President and Co-Founder of Silent New York and Silent Paris.

As Silent’s Creative Director, Eric manages the agency’s worldwide relationships with the industry’s fashion editors, fashion houses, casting agents, advertising agents and photographers. Prior to founding Silent, Eric was the Founder and Director of Women Model Management’s Paris office, which he operated between 2003 and 2006. While at Women, Eric developed and directed the careers of Carmen Kass (whom he has now represented for 12 years), Isabeli Fontana, Natasha Poly, Frankie Rayder and many others. From 1992 to 2003, Eric was an agent with City Models in Paris, where he was a senior booker focused on developing new faces and managing the agency’s most established talent, including Carolyn Murphy, Chandra North, Eve Salvail, Nina Brosh and Kiara Kabukuru.

As President of Silent New York and Silent Paris, Vincent manages all business and legal matters of the company including negotiating large advertising contracts. Vincent also oversees Silent Paris’ relationships with key scouting networks. Vincent co-founded Silent Paris in 2006 with Eric Dubois. Before founding Silent Paris, Vincent operated Madison Models between 1988-2003. During that time, he represented Eva Herzigova, Daniela Pestova, Laetitia Casta, Olga Kurylenko and Julie Ordon.

These were the thoughts Silent’s powerhouses had to share with OTM.

OTM: After several years of a carefully cultivated image of being “silent” what made you decide to open in New York?
S: Our vision hasn’t changed. After four years of hard work, which involved building up a strong image board in Paris, it was time to expand, find the right partner and continue to grow our American relationships.

OTM. What do you plan to introduce to the New York market that is new for clients here?
S: Our vision. By taking only a select number of models, we can then focus our energies on planning their careers and choosing the best work for them. There are many large agencies out there where even extraordinary girls can get lost. Once we make a decision about a model, we put all of our creative energy and resources behind her.

Beyond being simply another “boutique” agency, we view ourselves as curators. To earn and maintain our clients’ respect, we realize the importance of being selective and careful about the models we introduce to our clients. We think very hard about matching our clients’ needs with our models and the work that they have done. We are never afraid to tell a client when a model isn’t ready to be seen or if we don’t have a model that is right for their campaign. This has helped us to earn our clients’ trust and respect. As our name implies, we like to remain quiet about our work, allowing the success of our models to speak on our behalf. Our models have rewarded us with great loyalty over the years. This comes from the intense focus we apply to each model we represent and the discipline we bring in balancing editorial work with advertising campaigns and money jobs.

OTM. That said… What elements of the creative fashion life in New York do you find most inspiring?
S: Here in New York, style is not only found on the catwalk but mainly in the streets of the city. With all of its cultural influences and energy, New York is obviously the most inspiring city in the world today.

OTM: . Do you feel that the market is flooded with too many new girls? How do you plan to address this issue at Silent?
S: Yes, we think there are too many girls. At Silent, we care less about the number of new girls we represent than about how far we can take the careers of each of the models we manage.

OTM: What represents an ideal career path in your mind for a model at Silent?
S: When a model makes money yet continues to take quality steps each year in advancing her career.

OTM:. How do you plan to keep your image of discretion and taste in the super-hyped and high drama world of the New York model scene?
S: Discretion is the essence of Silent. The way we have been communicating is through the quality of our work.

OTM. Do you think the age of the super-star model can ever return?
S: Absolutely and this is why we focus on developing a small number of girls and their careers very carefully. In recent years, we have seen celebrities taking some market share away from the modeling world. A supermodel, at the end of the day, is a very unique person and obviously such models are very rare and hard to find… they’re the “special ones.” We think that as “moving images” and video become more integrated into advertising, that having chosen the right models from the very start will help us position them to become the next class of “super-models.” Of course, as you know, we also represent prominent actresses Lea Seydoux (Robin Hood with Russell Crowe) and Emmanuelle Seigner (Frantic, Bitter Moon and La Vie en Rose) for image management, fashion and beauty campaigns.

OTM. What would be the perfect achievement for Silent, say a year from now?
S: The best achievement for us would be for us to have every model we represent be successful, happy and proud!

OTM: Well said. Thank you for your insight into the Silent ideal. We can’t wait to see all your new girls when they get to town.
S: It would be our pleasure. Thanks so much.
models.com

Personally I really like the way a 'boutique' kind of agency works.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agency, mega, model, thread