How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2011
front row

The guy said he wanted to meet me. I'm not sure exactly what that entails.

09-05-2011
front row

What are the top women's commercial modeling agencies in New York? Thanks!

10-05-2011
V.I.P.

^ Off the top of my head: Wilhelmina, Ford, Elite and Click.

10-05-2011
front row

Agee named the ones I was going to

Anyone have an opinion on BMG Models in NY? I was asked to meet with them as well.

10-05-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
^ Off the top of my head: Wilhelmina, Ford, Elite and Click.
+ Women Direct

10-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
+ Women Direct
Don't forget Next Direct and the new One.1 (they have some top catalog monopoly) and IMG can specialize in top notch/luxury commercial. I hear Silent is planning on opening a direct/more commercial division...

MC2 is considered less than top but offers same quality commercial as Click (think a monopoly on the top bread and butter jobs, catalog etc). You might even want to check out Major if you're thinking on the Click level.

And forget about the rest of those smaller agencies...they don't do nothin'!

10-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloryepp View Post
Agee named the ones I was going to

Anyone have an opinion on BMG Models in NY? I was asked to meet with them as well.
BMG isn't really for someone who is thinking about modeling as a serious career (as the sole source of income). It's lower level commercial work (which doesn't generate much money...low to mid 5 figures if you're lucky...). A lot of their girls are trying to get into acting and they have that bridge so it's not for a girl whose goal is walking in fashion week shows that matter, catalogs with decent rates, real campaigns/advertisement, relevant editorials etc.

10-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlueRider View Post
Don't forget Next Direct and the new One.1 (they have some top catalog monopoly) and IMG can specialize in top notch/luxury commercial. I hear Silent is planning on opening a direct/more commercial division...

MC2 is considered less than top but offers same quality commercial as Click (think a monopoly on the top bread and butter jobs, catalog etc). You might even want to check out Major if you're thinking on the Click level.

And forget about the rest of those smaller agencies...they don't do nothin'!
Thank you!

24-05-2011
front row

So Colby in NY offered to sign me. However, IMG expressed interest in me, but told me to come back when I lost weight.

So the question I have is, sign with Colby or wait for IMG, or bigger agency? An old booker who's worked with IMG, Ford, and Elite told me he thinks I can get with IMG if I lose 5-8 pounds.

Thanks

25-05-2011
rising star

tayloryepp, actually, there are 2 questions you might want to answer 1st: are you in a hurry and is it a problem for you to loose weight. If the answer is 'no' to both, then 1st you loose weight as you were advised and only after that you try the agencies one more time. When some big and without any doubt professional agency as IMG tells you that you'd better loose weight, it's not to make you feel miserable usually but more about a fact that in this particular market you may work better after getting more slim, that's all.

Btw, what is Colby?

25-05-2011
Zenga Zenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post

Btw, what is Colby?
http://www.colbymodels.com/

I guess it's this agency. Never heard before as well and according to what they say it opened in late 2010.

25-05-2011
front row

@sleb, I'm 17 (sorry if I broke a rule!), so I guess age is kinda an issue..I'm not exactly certain. It's not like I'm 21 looking to get signed, but I'm not 14-16 either.

Not really. I have lost about 3 pounds already. I'm not going to say my weight as I don't want to get flagged, but basically it needs to be below 120 and I'm only a few pounds away from that.

I turned down Colby. I think I can get signed with someone bigger. I can't post my testing pictures on here, but I was told by the older booker from IMG that my new testing pictures are really good and if I lost the weight, he think someone in the top 10 would pick me up.

And yes, that's Colby's site

25-05-2011
rising star

Well, 17 yrs is not an issue, come on You won't work in NY if you're 14-16, nobody really need these youngsters anymore, forget it. So even at 17 your age may be a problem of you being too young for some major clients.

Loosing weight is not sometimes about your weight in fact however strange that sounds, sometimes it's about your cheeks and the whole face structure.

And, btw, I won't recommend you to listen seriously to the guys saying that 'you're too good for this or that agency, some other better agency will certainly sign you'. In 99% cases it's just crap. You should think for yourself by yourself. Anyway, in this particular case, the point is that you'd better get into your best shape before starting seeing people.

Last edited by sleb; 25-05-2011 at 09:44 AM.
25-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Well, 17 yrs is not an issue, come on You won't work in NY if you're 14-16, nobody really need these youngsters anymore, forget it. So even at 17 your age may be a problem of you being too young for some major clients.

Loosing weight is not sometimes about your weight in fact however strange that sounds, sometimes it's about your cheeks and the whole face structure.

And, btw, I won't recommend you to listen seriously to the guys saying that 'you're too good for this or that agency, some other better agency will certainly sign you'. In 99% cases it's just crap. You should think for yourself by yourself. Anyway, in this particular case, the point is that you'd better get into your best shape before starting seeing people.
17 is a great age because I am 100% sure that she's gonna be put in the development board of any agency. So she's definitely not too young and definitely not too young for major clients.

Weight issue is a touchy subject here but in general, all the models I know are on somewhat of a clean diet (PM for more details) and workout (tone). It's important to have a very long and lean body with some muscle tone (not bulky muscles) opposed to having a lot of flab. Considering you haven't been modeling for very long, that could be what they're talking about...and by doing those things for you body, you will notice changes in your face--less bloat etc.

Colby Models has a reputation of being **** in NYC. It's pretty much a joke and the bookers are a joke. I already live in NYC and know the ins and outs. You should always sign with the best agency you can get. Please do not settle for those small agencies that no one has ever heard of and doesn't have a reputation on MDC. Those agencies are unknown for a reason and those are also the ones that are the most shady (with money, how they handle their models etc). It's so easy to start an agency and that's why there are so many of these little shops popping around the corner making offers to girls who have never been to NYC. Don't fall for it.

17-07-2011
trendsetter

I wonder what's the difference between "Women", "Verve" and "Sneak Preview" at Select London?

Can somebody explain that to me?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agency, mega, model, thread