How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
09-03-2010
  1
V.I.P.
 
agee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Gender: femme
Posts: 6,105
The Model Agency Mega Thread
Moderator's Note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
  • Please stay on topic!
  • Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use the search function.
Thank you!

************************************************** ******************

Welcome to the Model Agency Mega Thread!

This is the place for you to discuss anything that has to with model agencies. You can ask about certain agencies, post information about certain agencies and comment on certain agencies. Have fun in here!

Supporting Cast Moderators




From The Imagist

Quote:
SCOOP DU JOUR: CONTINENTAL SHIFTS AND A REALIGNED UNIVERSE
Submitted by Wayne on Tue, 2010-03-09 04:32.

In LA recovering from two epic Post-Oscar blowouts but hangover or not TI is forced to contemplate that astonishingly radical shift that rocked NYC this morning. In one fell swoop, three of the biggest modeling agencies in NYC have been thrown into realignment. Bonus points to the punter who can name all three power shops currently processing what amounts to a continental shift in the business.
Scroll down to the comments section for speculation about the agencies involved.


Last edited by MissMagAddict; 04-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
 
09-03-2010
  2
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,989
Wow this is quite a big deal Id say ... wonder whatll happen to Supremes board now

__________________
I guess its time that I run far, far away
  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  3
windowshopping
 
A.in.wonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: femme
Posts: 14
What do you guys know about karin paris?? Would you recommend it? I get the impression that it used to be quite a good agency back then but now ,it might not be the best idea..Just an impression though

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  4
Zenga Zenga
 
penny609's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Le Cabinet-Placard
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,617
^They used to be a top agency quite a while ago... now they're more commercial, maybe they're doing well at it. They have one high-fashion girl doing well from time to time (this season Pauline Surget had a honest show lineup and she's quite promising). So if you're looking for B-list magazine, catalogue and potentially well-paid modeling job, maybe Karin is for you or at least give it a try.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  5
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 101
Well, to recommend smth to you one needs to know of your situation. I could think of lots of girls whom I would never recommend to got to Karin to. And quite the opposite, there are models that may only benefit from this. Karin is more or less stable commercial agency. So in case you want to live in Paris and you're more commercial than fashion oriented so to say, you may want to consider them as one of the variants. But if you give some further details, people here will be able to give you more specific advices.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  6
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All over Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.in.wonderland View Post
What do you guys know about karin paris?? Would you recommend it? I get the impression that it used to be quite a good agency back then but now ,it might not be the best idea..Just an impression though

on modeling forums, i m always amazed that aspirant ask questions like if they are in position to choose they agency they want.
A bit like if a 12 years old teenagers playing basket ball would to ask if it is better to join the Lakers or the Bulls...

Unfortunatly, modeling dont work much differently than Basket ball ...it is the agencies who choose the girls, not the girls who choose the agency (well, apart for girls reaching a certain level of course)

so if you apply, apply to anything which is of good level enough, and u will see how it goes, choice is a luxury that almost no new faces ever have...

Karin worth to apply, they are not much into high fashion, but they have one of the best board of celebrities in all Paris agencies, and this not only bring them good income but also help their commercial board in general.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  7
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 101
fritmayo: Misleading again.To choose an agency is a liberty everyone has. It may be better to work in certain China than in certain Paris agencies. Due to a poor job of some mother agencies the models get pretty often to the agencies they never belong. And it's just normal to check any agency with the people before to sign anything.

For your information, before the agencies choose the girls, 1st the mother agents choose the agencies. And that is not necessarily connected to the girls' levels.

Signing a binding contract with the agency a girl won't be able to work with - that's what is called a "luxury that almost no new face ever has" in fact. Or would you like smb to remind you which is the cost of getting into 5K debt in Paris?

I believe that celebrity board doesn't help too much to the mainboard/new faces - check that of Nathalie. Usually it's a totally different department and the agents that work with the celebrities don't take care of the models.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  8
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All over Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
fritmayo:

For your information, before the agencies choose the girls, 1st the mother agents choose the agencies. And that is not necessarily connected to the girls' levels.

Signing a binding contract with the agency a girl won't be able to work with - that's what is called a "luxury that almost no new face ever has" in fact. Or would you like smb to remind you which is the cost of getting into 5K debt in Paris?

I believe that celebrity board doesn't help too much to the mainboard/new faces - check that of Nathalie. Usually it's a totally different department and the agents that work with the celebrities don't take care of the models.

if mother agencies dont do placement in connection with the girl level, what is their work about?

talking about 5k debts, fact is that it is very likely to happen much more often in top high fashion agencies than in more commercial agencies, so THIS is a really misleading statement.


and the celebrity board will not help in the way that the same agents will care about the models, but it will help that the agency will have close links with top commercial clients usually booking the celebrities, and these close links and connections can of course benefit to all boards of the agency.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  9
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 101
I believe their job is to define more or less the potential of a model, to figure out how she will be positioned and sold better over this or that market and to place her accordingly. One may place a new face girl with a strongest editorial agency and a working average level model with a half-commercial agency or vice versa - it is about the strategy only.

Yes, that's right, in editorial agencies it's much easier to get into a huge debt. And I never said that the opposite was true. What I said is that a model SHOULD NEVER sign anything as you recommend: in order "to see how it goes". This way it may result in a very uncomfortable situation when a market gets closed for the girl until she returns her debt in cash. So before to sign any binding contract a model should check and double check everything about the agency, especially in case she needs all the expenses to be advanced.

Your claim re celebrities is still pretty arbitrary and the example of Nathalie doesn't support your theory. And an example of D neither, btw.....

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  10
windowshopping
 
A.in.wonderland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Gender: femme
Posts: 14
So, thank you for your answers ..
Considering im not the tallest-haute couture kind of model karin might not be such a terrible idea .In any case ,i know there were some time ago fashion oriented agencies interested in me( viva, img ,silent)but i was 15 and not interested in travelling yet, now im 18 and willing to do so.
My mother agency has this very very close relationship with karin and i think thats why they insist on me going to paris with them(and not necesarily because its the best for my specific case as a model).. I was simply wondering (and not just asking like a 12 year old, as someone above said) which would be the best move for a model with a strong book but rather on the short side.Considering of course that the whole idea of heading to europe is to get some reputable jobs and not to be stuck in catalogues and b list editorials...


Last edited by A.in.wonderland; 22-03-2010 at 07:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  11
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All over Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
And I never said that the opposite was true. What I said is that a model SHOULD NEVER sign anything as you recommend: in order "to see how it goes". This way it may result in a very uncomfortable situation when a market gets closed for the girl until she returns her debt in cash.

Your claim re celebrities is still pretty arbitrary and the example of Nathalie doesn't support your theory. And an example of D neither, btw.....
u actualy missread me
i never wrote to sign a contract and to see how it goes.

i wrote" apply to anything which is of good level enough, and u will see how it goes" , i was talking about applications only!

There is nothing to loose at sending applications to many place and to check carefully the propositions after.

And from that, i still think that wannabemodel who spend time to try to find the best place to apply are just wasting their time. Apply in different places, and see after, there is nothing to loose in doing that way.

  Reply With Quote
22-03-2010
  12
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 101
Well, it would be difficult not to agree now. The only thing is that it's not usually a model who applies and your advice was addressed then not to a teenage girl but to her mother agency Paris is not China, my friend, they won't talk to a teenage model especially while she's from another country...

The situation the girl described happens very often I believe. A mother agency works well with an agency in Paris and they want to place a model there. Is it good or bad for a girl? I don't have an answer, for instance. To some extent depends on what a mother agency actually does for the model: in case they are only about some placement, I believe, for the model it will be the same whether she's placed with a good partner or with some agency they never worked before. If a mother agency has got some special agreements with the local agencies, if they really promote a girl, putting a pressure on the local agencies when needed - then it's sometimes better to work with the agency they know very well. It all depends really...

While I still haven't heard of any specifics like measurements etc, but heard the words "strong book" and "short side", I'd ask again what are you gonna do in Paris. As it may happen that in the other markets the catalogues pay more )
In case you may want to share finally some details at least in private, you're welcome

  Reply With Quote
23-03-2010
  13
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All over Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post

The situation the girl described happens very often I believe. A mother agency works well with an agency in Paris and they want to place a model there. Is it good or bad for a girl? I don't have an answer, for instance. To some extent depends on what a mother agency actually does for the model: in case they are only about some placement, I believe, for the model it will be the same whether she's placed with a good partner or with some agency they never worked before. If a mother agency has got some special agreements with the local agencies, if they really promote a girl, putting a pressure on the local agencies when needed - then it's sometimes better to work with the agency they know very well. It all depends really...
but the mother agency has exactly the same interest as the model. if the model work, they make money, if the model dont work they dont make money.
There is of course different strategies possible depending of each mother agencies (and there are still few around who clearly dont have any clue about what they're doing...) but overall, it is never in the interest of the mother agency to choose a wrong partner for the girl.

  Reply With Quote
23-03-2010
  14
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: homme
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritmayo View Post
but the mother agency has exactly the same interest as the model. if the model work, they make money, if the model dont work they dont make money.
There is of course different strategies possible depending of each mother agencies (and there are still few around who clearly dont have any clue about what they're doing...) but overall, it is never in the interest of the mother agency to choose a wrong partner for the girl.
Well, I won't agree, the mother agency has got the only interest - to make money. They could either send 100s of models to the major markets just so that at least 5-6 of them do smth good. Or they could send only 10 models to some particular agencies and see that they are working and that everything is fine with them. Or they could choose any variant in between of these 2 opposite options described above.

A new face model may want: to become a star, to earn money, to travel, to live in Paris, to learn or to practice French etc

I mean the problem is not about how not to choose the wrong agency, the problem is about choosing the right one. The commercial agencies do always have a tendency to underestimate the models as it's easier to get them busy with catalogues other than to raise them so that they start doing campaigns. The main fashion editorial agencies on the opposite don't let their girls pretty often do low-level money jobs even when they need the money: the girls are told that they are better than that and that the agency is aiming at something bigger.

There are too many variables: in some cases the mother agencies may prefer to be on the safe side, in some cases they may decide to risk. Or, as you put it, sometimes the mother agencies just don't care which is often the case when there are too many models in the agency.

That's why I have always lots of questions when I hear that a model goes to the best partners of her mother agency. Which doesn't mean of course that it's been a wrong or even not the best decision

  Reply With Quote
23-03-2010
  15
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: All over Europe
Gender: homme
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post

I mean the problem is not about how not to choose the wrong agency, the problem is about choosing the right one. The commercial agencies do always have a tendency to underestimate the models as it's easier to get them busy with catalogues other than to raise them so that they start doing campaigns. The main fashion editorial agencies on the opposite don't let their girls pretty often do low-level money jobs even when they need the money: the girls are told that they are better than that and that the agency is aiming at something bigger.

it is exactly that.

But fact is that "models forum audience" is far more obsessed by high fashion than 90% of the girls.
Obviously this can be different depending of where the girl is from, but in personnaly dealing girls from eastern countries for many years, fact is the main goal is money, and this unfortunately very often include a huge family pressure asking to the girl "to bring money home".
so the choices of agencies include often much more "social" elements that people on forums can ever imagine. To sign a girl in a major high fashion agency expecting money "maybe some day" is a choice that some mother agency can afford but which is just refused by the girl or the familly who are often just interested to know "how much and when" she will earn.

the forums, it is a bit dreamland, unfortunately very very far from the daily reality of new faces management.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
agency, mega, model, thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.